Realism Invictus

why in diplomacy I have no selectable alliances, it is only my problem, or alliances in the 50-civ world scenario are not implemented?
I am not talking about defensive pacts, but alliances

Last edited:
Yes, it is possible but maybe you have it unchecked in the game mod options.
It would be nice to have defensive and/or non aggression pacts also.
In scenario,where find game mod option?
if I make a custom scenario, I can only select permanent alliances

I can not activate alliances even in the editor, I do not find how to do it, the only thing I have in the option is active permanent alliances, I am in the modern era, of the world huge scenario, and I have never had the alliance option, or defensive pact. Am I wrong? have civ 4 complete edition 3.19, and realism invictus 3.4. In the patch note I have read that defensive pact, they have been deactivated, but I have not read anything about alliances (non-permanent)

I can not activate alliances even in the editor, I do not find how to do it, the only thing I have in the option is active permanent alliances, I am in the modern era, of the world huge scenario, and I have never had the alliance option, or defensive pact. Am I wrong? have civ 4 complete edition 3.19, and realism invictus 3.4. In the patch note I have read that defensive pact, they have been deactivated, but I have not read anything about alliances (non-permanent)

You are right, it should be possible to establish aliances, or defensive pacts at least!

I wish I could use some diplo options* from RAND into RI but I think there are not compatible. I'd rather play RI even thoug Im missing some RAND stuff. In life you cannot have it all ;)

Are alliances other than Permanent Alliances even a thing in civ4? It's been years since I last played without RI, so I can't remember, but I didn't think they were.

Hi there, I started a game with SVN revision 5225 and reached modern era, then I created a scenerio trhough world builder to continue the game with revision 5231 updates. It works but as soon as civilizations switches gov their flags turns white, red, black, etc. What am I missing?

Last edited:
Alliances were disabled because they tended to cause ginourmous world wars or just result in geopolitical gridlock. However, you can turn them on in a specific file somewhere.

Also, about the multiple of the same civ appearing, I think that is fine with the new dynamic name system. Perhaps just make sure the same leader doesn't get used, if at all possible. Also, may I suggest that different leaders have different country names - i.e. the Nguni leaders Nelson Mandela and Shaka rule South Africa and Zulu respectively.

What Walter is doing with civ dynamic names and flags its a beauty. An admirable addition to all those unit models you can enjoy watching on the field. Its far the best mod for those who look for some kind of realism. As a 40+ years old player like me enjoying this PC game like a child is priceless. My last wish to crown this mod would be by adding a little depth into diplo issues, like unfold "open borders" in two options like trade agreements (include tech transfer) and free pass of military units as a separate issue. Or the possibility to trade or give military units (except soldiers or workers) Have non aggression pacts or defensive pacts. Thats all. Thanks again for your woderfull work Walter and collaborators!!

Last edited:
I get a crash when playing on earth evolutions with the latest SVN. I've attached the save.

Windows 10
16gb Ram
3gb Vram

Attachments

• AutoSave_BC-0396.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.2 MB · Views: 183
It would be nice if the (aesthetic) rebel states were vulnerable to the anti-barbarian promotions. The value of those went right down when the barbarians started confederating into civs.

Eh, I thought about it and it just causes more problems. There is no way of distinguishing your rebels from any other rebels, so it would turn that into an ideal tool for sniping the cities from other civs when they rebel. What might be good instead is if they reduced the separatism in cities these units are stationed in, but I will see if I can code it in an efficient way. Don't want to slow down stuff too much with calculations.

Thanks for the work, as always. I haven't seen multiples of the same civ again, but I haven't seen the same circumstances: on a large continent about three civs had conquered their rivals, then in the 19th century collapsed into anarchy (because they're bad at managing revolt risk, as you've explained) and over time there were multiple egypts with different leaders.

Multiples do happen still, but yeah, now they should be visually separate. So now the system should be working as intended.

I have a doubt about the values of the walls, and castles in the city, the wiki says that the castle increases the defense of the city by 50%, but in the file buildinginfo, idefence is 0, I find nothing in that file that confirms that value of 50 %, while the palisades, which the guide says defense increased by 25%, idefence is 25. Same thing for the castle that has idefence 0, but in the wiki says that it increases defenses by 30%. I'm wrong, or that value is not idefence, or for wall and castle is iobsoletesafedefence that is 50 for wall and 30 for castle?

I think it's just some technical stuff related to how walls/palisades interact with each other. Should be working as intended in game anyway.

Loving the new flags and dynamic naming, and I can't wait until they're all done.

One minor (cosmetic) thing that I'm not sure is a typo: Playing as Armenia (Huge World Map), at the game start the initial pop-up and early leaders keep calling me "Bedouin". My ancient history is a little rusty, but wikipedia tells me that bedouin refers to the desert peoples further south. Maybe we got lumped in with Arabia (who do refer to themselves as Bedouin in-game).

Clarification/update: Actually, while my civ name on the scoreboard is "Nairi Tribes", everywhere else (including tool-tipping my territory) I'm listed as "Bedouins".

Thanks for pointing out a typo. Fixed. BTW, further suggestions for flags/names are quite welcome, I am not omnipotent, I can always miss stuff.

You are right, it should be possible to establish aliances, or defensive pacts at least!

As pointed by others, defensive pacts were intentionally disabled, as unlike in real world, they actually did a fine job at preventing world wars. In my tests I've never seen a single war in the world after defensive pacts were unlocked.

Alliances were disabled because they tended to cause ginourmous world wars or just result in geopolitical gridlock. However, you can turn them on in a specific file somewhere.

Also, about the multiple of the same civ appearing, I think that is fine with the new dynamic name system. Perhaps just make sure the same leader doesn't get used, if at all possible. Also, may I suggest that different leaders have different country names - i.e. the Nguni leaders Nelson Mandela and Shaka rule South Africa and Zulu respectively.

All in the plans. :)

I want to do the base versions for every civ first, and then I'll delve into the leader-specific stuff for a bit.

What Walter is doing with civ dynamic names and flags its a beauty. An admirable addition to all those unit models you can enjoy watching on the field. Its far the best mod for those who look for some kind of realism. As a 40+ years old player like me enjoying this PC game like a child is priceless. My last wish to crown this mod would be by adding a little depth into diplo issues, like unfold "open borders" in two options like trade agreements (include tech transfer) and free pass of military units as a separate issue. Or the possibility to trade or give military units (except soldiers or workers) Have non aggression pacts or defensive pacts. Thats all. Thanks again for your woderfull work Walter and collaborators!!

It is pointless to request new diplomatic features from me. It's more or less on the level of requesting me turning the map into hex-based instead of square-based. It's just not technically possible for me to do.

I get a crash when playing on earth evolutions with the latest SVN. I've attached the save.

Windows 10
16gb Ram
3gb Vram

All further sources of that particular kind of crash should be solved now.

Hi Walter, started a game under revision 5233. Will next updates (if any) be save game compatible?

Ugh, I don't really get why people feel there are any "save game compatible" SVN updates at all. This has caused me so much trouble over the years. Not only are you ruining your own game, but later I see and have to investigate "bugs" reported that don't really come from RI at all. As always when asked this question:

You never update SVN during an ongoing game, excluding very specific and rare cases where an update is rolled out to fix a very specific crash issue you are currently experiencing - but then I will be sure to inform people that it is safe to update. To reiterate, the answer to this question is always NO. There are no save game compatible updates, even when they look that way. I should probably make sure that each update causes instant CTD in existing games, to minimize the amount of issues people experience with SVN.

Hello Walter, thank you for the great effort in this mod

I was thinking, why not German Empire name and flag under monarchy government to the german civ?

hi folks,

i wonder - can i play RI 3.4 in multiplayer? without oos?

Didn't try it myself, but people have been reporting mixed results - worked for some, OOS for some. I tried to hunt down all possible sources in SVN, and either eliminate them outright, or at least make major components responsible toggleable so they can be turned off for an MP game.

Hello Walter, thank you for the great effort in this mod

I was thinking, why not German Empire name and flag under monarchy government to the german civ?

For naming schemes, I generally reserved "... empire" names (and flags that go with them) for Despotism civic (which in RI is also a monarchy, just with more authoritarian leanings). So the flag and name are already in RI, just for a different-flavored Germany. :)

I would have considered using this flag for Monarchy civic anyway, if Germany didn't have any other historically appropriate options - but Germany is one of those civs that actually have more good options than I had an opportunity to use. I may end up using North German Confederation (that had the same flag as Imperial Germany) for Bismarck if/when I do leader-specific ones. But I won't be using "German Empire" name for non-despotism civics to avoid player confusion. Unlike contemporary England for instance, Germany post-unification doesn't actually have a non-imperial official name.

Top Bottom