• Rest of World: Yes

Votes: 61 34.5%
  • Rest of World: No

Votes: 52 29.4%
  • Rest of World: Undecided / won't vote / spoilt vote

Votes: 26 14.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What about, for example, the Slovak secession from Czechoslovakia? That didn't involve any "horrendous tyranny", but was generally accepted as a reasonable move.
Slovaks are doing quite good. They were able to make reforms including accepting Euro which they couldnt while part of Czechoslovakia. The sense of competition among neighbouring entities is important cultural and economical stimuli.
I'd like the Scots to stay, but if they do leave then best of luck to them I suppose.
Its not like they are going to go to east Asia. They will still be here - which brings me to think how ridiculous of Barosso is to try to make Scotland to be reaccepted to EU again.

Without the Scottish labour voters we will be stuck with the Tories forever :cry:

Not that labour are all that much better anyway :sad:

Will Scotland be accepting refugees from south of the border if it comes to that?

Without the Scottish labour voters we will be stuck with the Tories forever :cry:

Not that labour are all that much better anyway :sad:

Will Scotland be accepting refugees from south of the border if it comes to that?

It wouldn't be as easy for Labour to get a majority thats for sure.
Removing Scottish seats at the 2005 general election, Labour would have a plurality of seats but would fall short of majority by only 10 seats. So a possible coalition with the LDs or a minority government would result from that election, no tories.

Take out the 40 or so seats in 2001 and 1997 and you would still have an overwhelming Labour majority.

So in the last four elections the same party would be in power; with either a centre-left coalition from 2005 or a minority labour government.

Would someone be so kind as to produce one-sentence summaries of rationalizations for, arguments for, and arguments against the proposal? It would be handy to have such a reference.

Against: there are more taxpayers in London than there are people in Scotland, and it would be harder to maintain the Scottish welfare state without that (although obviously not impossible).

For: Scotland is often left out of larger UK politics because of its small population (and thus representation) and distance from the capital, and thus could better address its own concerns and follow its own course better than it can now, answering to Downing St., and with the relatively hamstrung Scottish Parliament.

If Scotland were to become independent, it would follow the same path of devolution which the rest of the Commonwealth did following the Statute of Westminster, and become equivalent to Canada or Australia wrt its relationship with the UK.

I hear they have oil though, so maybe they can set up a Norway-style situation.

Is England not giving them their fair share of the oil revenues? If so, then can't say I blame them for wanting to secede.

I'm no expert on geology and reservoirs, but it's my understanding by talking to people who are that North Sea oil on Scottish waters is rapidly running out, and the new discoveries are mostly on Norwegian, Russian and even Danish territory (the Faroe Islands look promising, believe it or not).

So Scotland might shoot itself on the foot. Once oil is dwindling it will go back to being poorer than England, and thus a net recipient of British tax money, as it was before the North Sea oil discovery.

You don't have to be a citizen of Scotland in order to vote. Nonetheless, I was mistaken. EU and Commonwealth citizens present may vote, but not other visitors, including Americans.

There was a slim chance I would still be here in September anyway, so... :dunno:

So if I go to Scotland, I can vote in this, since I am a citizen of the Commonwealth? This is madness.
No, it's politics.

Is England not giving them their fair share of the oil revenues? If so, then can't say I blame them for wanting to secede.
That's the nationalist contention, which they base on the portion of the oil and gas fields that would belong to a hypothetical Scottish state, which would een by the meanest estimate have claim to the majority of it.

The unionist contention is that the fields are the property of the Union, collectively, and that Scotland's share is proportionate to its share of the British population.

You can make a case for both, and neither is obviously superior to the other, so in practice the nationalists fall back on the observation that Westminster has pissed away the oil revenues to the benefit of neither Scotland particularly nor Britain generally, and the unionists fall back on, well, pretending not to have heard the question, basically.

If this happens, what will happen to the GB team at the olympics? Will it be replaced by 4 teams? Or will the GB continue competing, while Scotland compete as well?

So I guess my question is, will the GB at the olympics turn into 2 teams or 4?

2 - the IOC (generally) only recognises independent states not autonomous areas hence the oddity of GB in Olympic football.

That's the nationalist contention, which they base on the portion of the oil and gas fields that would belong to a hypothetical Scottish state, which would een by the meanest estimate have claim to the majority of it.

The unionist contention is that the fields are the property of the Union, collectively, and that Scotland's share is proportionate to its share of the British population.

You can make a case for both, and neither is obviously superior to the other, so in practice the nationalists fall back on the observation that Westminster has pissed away the oil revenues to the benefit of neither Scotland particularly nor Britain generally, and the unionists fall back on, well, pretending not to have heard the question, basically.

A Northern European Azerbaijan, great, just what we need.

Top Bottom