1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

RFCE: Civilopedia Texts

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall: Europe' started by merijn_v1, Aug 25, 2009.

1. DC123456789

DC123456789 Chieftain

Well, there are a lot of Golden Bulls, and there were ones in 1222 and 1356. I think the 1356 one is the one they want as a wonder, though.

2. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Yep, the English text is almost always more up to date then the others
    In this case specific case we can have a general text for the multiple Golden Bulls though

3. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Put together some quick drafts on the Civilopedia entries for the 2 new companies, some parts cut from wikipedia, some wrote by me.
    Any mistakes there, any improvement suggestions?

[TAB]The Order of Calatrava (Spanish: Orden de Calatrava Portuguese: Ordem de Calatrava) was the first military order founded in Castile. The papal bull confirming the Order of Calatrava as a Militia was given by Pope Alexander III on September 26, 1164.[PARAGRAPH:2]The etymology of the name of this military order, Calatrava, conveys the meaning: "fortress of Rabah". In the recently formed monastic Cistercian Order, there had been a large number of knights or sons of knights. In Calatrava, on the contrary, those who had been monks became knights. Monastic life has been called "a warfare", and it would be a mistake to suppose those rough medieval warriors sought in the cloister only a comfortable asylum after a troubled career. In both lives there was an heroic struggle to sustain, whether against one's passions or against the Muslims, and the austerities of an ascetic life could not have been more dreadful to them than the privations of camp life and the wounds of battle.[PARAGRAPH:2]The Order of Calatrava was a very significant force in the battles with the Muslims in the early times of the Reconquista: Even the first military services of the Knights of Calatrava were highly successful, and in return for the exceptional services they had rendered they received from the King of Castile new grants of land, which formed their first commanderies. They had also been called into the neighbouring Kingdom of Aragon, and been rewarded by new encomiendas (landed estates). But these successes were followed by a series of misfortunes, due in the first instance to the unfortunate partition which Alfonso had made of his possessions, and the consequent rivalry which ensued between the Castilian and Leonese branches of his dynasty. At the same time the first successes of the Reconquista in the 12th century soon met up with a new wave of Islamic warriors, the invasion of the Almohads from Morocco.[PARAGRAPH:2]Nevertheless the Order of Calatrava remained one of the most powerful Military Orders during the Reconquista, taking part in many campaigns against the Cordobans and Moors of the Iberian peninsula. Most of the political and military power of the order dissipated by the end of the 15th century, but the last dissolution of the order's property did not occur until 1838.

[TAB]The Order of the Dragon (Latin: Societas Draconistarum, literally "Society of the Dragonists") was a monarchical chivalric order for selected nobility, founded in 1408 by the Hungarian King, Sigismund (Zsigmond I, reigned 1387-1437), who later also became Holy Roman Emperor (r. 1433–1437). It was fashioned after the military orders of the Crusades, requiring its initiates to defend the cross and fight the enemies of Christianity, in particular the Ottoman Empire.[PARAGRAPH:2]On the other hand it was in great extent based on the Order of St George (Hungarian: Szent György Vitézei Lovagrend), which was the first secular chivalric order in the world and was established in 1326 by King Charles I of Hungary (Károly I, reigned 1308-1342), flourished during Charles' reign and achieved greater success under the reign of his son Louis I of Hungary (Nagy Lajos, reigned 1342-1382), but was mostly destroyed in the civil war and unstable political situation after the death of Louis.[PARAGRAPH:2]The Order of the Dragon is also secular, the original members were mostly Sigismund's political allies and supporters. Most of these members were referred to in the statutes as barons (barones, occasionally socii). As membership grew, the Order of the Dragon came to have two degrees. There was a superior class, which between 1408 and 1418 wore both the dragon and the cross as the Order's emblem and a more elaborate version afterwards. The second degree had a large number of members, and its symbol was only the dragon.[PARAGRAPH:2]The insignia was described in length in contemporary sources, including the edict of the Order itself in 1408: "the sign or effigy of the Dragon incurved into the form of a circle, its tail winding around its neck, divided through the middle of its back along its length from the top of its head right to the tip of its tail, with blood [forming] a red cross flowing out into the interior of the cleft by a white crack, untouched by blood, just as and in the same way that those who fight under the banner of the glorious martyr St George are accustomed to bear a red cross on a white field."[PARAGRAPH:2]The Order flourished during the first half of the 15th century, primarily in Hungary, Germany and Italy. After Sigismund's death in 1437, its importance declined in Western Europe, but after the Fall of Constantinople in 1453, it continued to play a role in Hungary, Serbia, Croatia and Wallachia which bore the brunt of the Ottoman incursions.[PARAGRAPH:2]Fun fact: the name Dracula origins from Vlad III (known as Vlad Dracula or Vlad the Impaler), ruthless Voivode (prince) of Wallachia in the second half of the 15th century. Diplomatic reports and popular stories referred to him as Dracula, Dracuglia, or Drakula already in the 15th century; he himself signed his letters as "Dragulya" or "Drakulya" in the late 1470s. This name name had its origin in the Romanian sobriquet of his father, Vlad Dracul ("Vlad the Dragon"), who received it after he became a member of the Order of the Dragon!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  4. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

What's more correct and/or more commonly used: Salt Lake or Saline Lake?

5. DC123456789

DC123456789 Chieftain

I'd go with salt lake.

ales_ and The Turk like this.
  6. Swarbs

Swarbs Chieftain

Ditto

7. TheMulattoMaker

TheMulattoMaker Dictator of RF

Also agree with "salt lake".

Off-topic, but relevant to the thread: I noticed the other day that the entry for Bohdan Khmelnytsky (sp?) has a small paragraph in the middle that's out of place. I'm away from my game computer right now, but it was something about an Italian or French naval battle (or something like that). Probably got copied wrong, I guess.

8. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Thanks, fixed!