Riddle of Ages: Travelling Through History

Nordic discovery of Ice/Greenland?

That's it! :goodjob:

The Japanese Emperor was believed to be a descendent of the Sun goddess, hence "her warriors".

China was ruled by the Ming Dynasty, Ming being the Chinese word for "Brightness".

Korean turtle ships were protected by iron spikes (iron-plated according to some) and heavily-armed with cannons.

I should have known that. [pissed]

Anyway, could it be the Puritans finding Plymouth to settle? Driven by the wind meant they sailed west to the Americas, and they were religious exiles, so they were without a home. The man of metal COULD be synonymous with religious prosecution (Iron Maiden, ie), but that could be a bit of a stretch.

Nordic discovery of Ice/Greenland?

nope

The joke was on the man of metal
When the homeless
driven by wind
were surprised to find a home

The Norse would fit but, what about the first verse... I don't know. I'll be back later.

but I see how the last three verses fit :)

Anyway, could it be the Puritans finding Plymouth to settle? Driven by the wind meant they sailed west to the Americas, and they were religious exiles, so they were without a home. The man of metal COULD be synonymous with religious prosecution (Iron Maiden, ie), but that could be a bit of a stretch.

it's indeed a bit of a stretch :)

Man of metal - could refer to Tamerlane (Timur = iron) or perhaps Stalin, but it doesn't seem to fit with the other three lines.

The homeless - probably referring to refugees or exiles, rather than colonial expeditions.

I'm thinking of the expulsion of Jews from Spain and subsequent settlement in the Ottoman Empire.

When the homeless
driven by wind

Hmmm... Good one.

The man of metal could be many people, like Stalin (stal = steel) or Tamerlane, as taillesskangaru says, but it could also be a knight, wearing a full armour.
The part about the homeless is a bit harder. Maybe the "driven by wind" does not refer to actual wind, but by someone whose name means wind or something similar.
A group of people losing their homeland to a "man of metal" and then travelling somewhere else to find a home...

Celtic movement into Britain and Ireland?
The Celts slowly killed off the beaker people (first metalsmiths in Britain), who had took over from the Neolithic people there.

When the homeless
driven by wind

The Celts then built their own homes in Britain and they must have sailed over by using wind after leaving mainland Europe. During their travel across the channel, they might have considered themselves homeless, and they found a home in Britain and Ireland.

Agincourt (?), where longbows massacred knights?

When the homeless
driven by wind

Hmmm... Good one.

Man of metal - could refer to Tamerlane (Timur = iron) or perhaps Stalin, but it doesn't seem to fit with the other three lines.

The homeless - probably referring to refugees or exiles, rather than colonial expeditions.

I'm thinking of the expulsion of Jews from Spain and subsequent settlement in the Ottoman Empire.

The man of metal could be many people, like Stalin (stal = steel) or Tamerlane, as taillesskangaru says, but it could also be a knight, wearing a full armour.
The part about the homeless is a bit harder. Maybe the "driven by wind" does not refer to actual wind, but by someone whose name means wind or something similar.
A group of people losing their homeland to a "man of metal" and then travelling somewhere else to find a home...

Genghis Khan's conquests of Asia? (The name "Temüjin" is believed to derive from the word temür, meaning iron)

While it does refer to a man it isn't deprived from his actual name

@LH: Columbus? how is he a man of metal? :confused:
@Olaf: we already had Agincourt ;)

and I'll be gone from a computer all day, so it will be another 8 hours (?)at least (I think) before I can comment again :)

Did we? Oh...

the last three lines could be homing pigeons

Bismarck was the Iron chancellor. Just mentioning.

nope

When the homeless
driven by wind
They found the home abandoned by the dueno
he had to deal with troubles in one of his other houses

That sounds a lot like someone being exiled.

Top Bottom