RifE 1.20 Bug Thread

Congrats on the new version, having a lot of fun exploring the Mechanos stuff.

However, I'm fairly sure that something's bugged for Guild of the Nine. Verocchio (me!) built it in Vaul, it doesn't seem to do anything (i.e., doesn't offer a "hire mercs" spell for gold). Take the report for what it's worth.

Also a second point, possibly due to my not being quite clear on all the Native Routes stuff. Is it exploity for me to stick a Mobile Fortress onto a blimp when they're sharing a tile, and haul it halfway around the world to plunk down someplace? Shooting at anything that irritates me along the way (naturally)? Again, the limit of these bad boys is they need a railroad, but if they've got... uh, a big ballooon on top of them, then I guess they're flying fortresses? Five times the move rate, and can park 'em on mountaintops? Possibly a bug if the native routes stuff is supposed to place limits on being eligible as cargo.

Congrats on the new version, having a lot of fun exploring the Mechanos stuff.

However, I'm fairly sure that something's bugged for Guild of the Nine. Verocchio (me!) built it in Vaul, it doesn't seem to do anything (i.e., doesn't offer a "hire mercs" spell for gold). Take the report for what it's worth.

Also a second point, possibly due to my not being quite clear on all the Native Routes stuff. Is it exploity for me to stick a Mobile Fortress onto a blimp when they're sharing a tile, and haul it halfway around the world to plunk down someplace? Shooting at anything that irritates me along the way (naturally)? Again, the limit of these bad boys is they need a railroad, but if they've got... uh, a big ballooon on top of them, then I guess they're flying fortresses? Five times the move rate, and can park 'em on mountaintops? Possibly a bug if the native routes stuff is supposed to place limits on being eligible as cargo.

The first one is a silly mistake on my part... Currently, only Hippus Fort Commanders can hire mercenaries. Same mistake as Vermicious made last version with Maelstrom... Forgot to rename the cloned spell. :blush:

As for the second...... I hadn't even thought about putting them in zeps. That's genius. :lol: Not sure of a way to fix it, without some DLL work... Will think on it.

Ideally, I'll allow promotions to affect routenatives, and give Naval units carrying Mobile Fortresses a promotion requiring them to move on railroads as well. You keep the movement bonuses, but a zepelin fleet pulling the fortress should make it faster anyway. :p

Are you using a foreign language? Somewhere, one of the merged textkeys only supports English... Try to catch them all, but sometimes I miss one. :lol:

To fix it for now, load BtS, switch the language to English, and then load FFPlus.
Nope, language was set to English.

Just did a test into those first turn crashes... It seems the problem is in fact with the Jotnar. I tried a duel map with only the Jotnar as an AI, and it crashed instantly when I ended my turn. I then tried a huge map with every civ except the Jotnar and the summonable ones (and the Amurites, now that I think about it, because that was me. Can't test if they're an AI problem like that), and nothing went wrong for the first several turns... Other than slow load times.

Edit: Just a note, I only tested the first several turns because my starting position was horrible. XD

Just did a test into those first turn crashes... It seems the problem is in fact with the Jotnar. I tried a duel map with only the Jotnar as an AI, and it crashed instantly when I ended my turn. I then tried a huge map with every civ except the Jotnar and the summonable ones (and the Amurites, now that I think about it, because that was me. Can't test if they're an AI problem like that), and nothing went wrong for the first several turns... Other than slow load times.

In that case... I may know what it is. Or at least part of it. Lots of their new units/spells/promotions aren't using textkeys atm, and instead simply have the text written in where the tag normally is. Will fix that, and then test to see if it helps. ;)

I am playing a tiny map with 8 civs, and the Jotnar are one of the AI civs. 200ish turns in. No crashes yet. Evil Leader for them if it matters. (I happened to be the Amarites also)

I did not see the same things so not sure Civ txt tags are your issue.

I did all my design/testing in XP...so if something I did causes Vista to barf out its innards I wouldn't know. Just a thought.

Weird... Also running XP on the computer I was playing on, and I've never had a game with the Jotnar in it, at least, that didn't die on me. The only time I did, which prompted the test I tried, the game crashed as soon as their units walked on to my screen on turn one.

Think I might have figured something out after talking to Opera...

Those of you who are suffering crashes from the Jotnar, do you have the English version of BtS installed, or a foreign language version?

It appears that the lack of textkeys causes foreign language versions to have issues with the Jotnar, while English versions load the text just fine.

I have English, and it crashes. However, I did manage to start 1 game as the Jotnar, so they might not e the problem. Also, I have Vista.

<SNIP>
As for the second...... I hadn't even thought about putting them in zeps. That's genius. :lol: Not sure of a way to fix it, without some DLL work... Will think on it.

Ideally, I'll allow promotions to affect routenatives, and give Naval units carrying Mobile Fortresses a promotion requiring them to move on railroads as well. You keep the movement bonuses, but a zepelin fleet pulling the fortress should make it faster anyway. :p

Genius eh? Haha. It's probably more a balance concern than anything else, but I am known to stuff all my flying machines with siege weaponry, wake up the siege guys when they're in shelling range, annihilate all kinds of foes, then back off to safety. The mobile fortresses are just an extension of that, in a jumbo sized way.

Being able to "pick up" mobile forts with flying transports does let you do some unusual things like have a fort farm somewhere in your hinterlands, skip railroads, and just harvest enough forts (to take to the frontlines of a war) and have workers build a bunch of forts to fill in the holes again. Sure, it takes time to grow them to whatever level (castle? citadel? forget!) but it was still something I found myself doing, I guess if it's not a bug, it's just a balance thing. Give the transports the "You need me to lift WHAT?" promotion to halve their moverates or something if this is really found problematic. ;)

Genius eh? Haha. It's probably more a balance concern than anything else, but I am known to stuff all my flying machines with siege weaponry, wake up the siege guys when they're in shelling range, annihilate all kinds of foes, then back off to safety. The mobile fortresses are just an extension of that, in a jumbo sized way.

Being able to "pick up" mobile forts with flying transports does let you do some unusual things like have a fort farm somewhere in your hinterlands, skip railroads, and just harvest enough forts (to take to the frontlines of a war) and have workers build a bunch of forts to fill in the holes again. Sure, it takes time to grow them to whatever level (castle? citadel? forget!) but it was still something I found myself doing, I guess if it's not a bug, it's just a balance thing. Give the transports the "You need me to lift WHAT?" promotion to halve their moverates or something if this is really found problematic. ;)

.....A fort... Farm? :eek:

Well, honestly that part doesn't surprise me. I envisioned filling a peninsula with forts, growing them, and then marching them out, each one filled with their own personal armies... Flying them changes the equation a bit though. :lol:

Probably won't be this patch, but I WILL be exposing those tags to promotions... Will be very useful anyway (Can get rid of the Lizard tech, for one thing), so it's worth doing.

My Mechanos in the same game noted above murdered all the filthy magickar using Amurites in the early game... and at Divine Essence, were allowed to do "Stir from Slumber."

Maybe I somehow had some frosty kind of tech that is supposed to be reserved to Illians and Frozen? *shrugs*

Ah, another point about Mechanos flying transports that I remembered is that if you manage to get one into a city with an Obsidian Gate / Nexus Portal, stuff it full, and gate it somewhere. It's a way to get around the 1-3 unit/turn limits (BAM! Here's an expanded cargo Dirigible with 12 units in it). Again, if you can't do it with Caravels, Queens of the Line, etc., how it's something Dirigibles and Blimps are eligible for is beyond me. Further reminds me that I thought gates of that sort (and the Nexus) were going to be unbuildable for the Mechanos, given their views on magic and their lower tech consolation prize being the railroads. I know I sure built 'em.

Ugh. Looks like I have to go through that python again... Or better yet, change the DLL so you can list how ever many civs you want rituals to require.

As for the Mechanos...I had left Obsidian Gates in because they had no method of rapid travel yet. Now that they have railroads, it's rather different.... They'll be blocked from Obsidian Gates/Nexus Portals.

Top Bottom