Resource icon

Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire

@Imphotep

Welcome to CFC first :)
Then, the crash :): that missing file is a Civ3 vanilla file.
If you go in ...\Conquests\Scenarios\RFRE\Art\Units\Roman Army, you will spot a .ini file. Open it, and you will see it refers to a bunch of file. The graphic files are included with RFRE (the Roman army graphics), but the sound files are linked with a Civ's vanilla's unit sounds called ARMY ANCIENT TIMES (which should be at ...\Civilization 3\Art\units\ARMY ANCIENT TIMES). So check out in Civ3 if you have that unit, and possible take a screenshot of your folder and post it here.

@Gunner

That unit rocks :goodjob:

@Soma

Good game, it seems you got Carthage easy!

@ApolytonCivFan

Well, 50 nomads uh... Maybe pack your troops out of a few minor cities, and try to bribe off the infuriated Scythians tribes. Gold and possibly that city/cities. Get back to them with Trajan full furor later on. The bad news is that Scythia and Germania are in a locked alliance (that will change with next patch, since I plan to have the newly arrived Goths and Germans allied, and Scythia standing alone), so you better finish that war quick before being overwhelmed. Otherwise, once peace is back, finish of Carthage, the southern Mediterrenean will be quiet and that will free many troops.

@Woodelf

The sooner you get Punic Spain, the better. It spawns Hannibal armies at a regular basis and it is not a good thought to see them imoving on you in hordes. Plus, based on V. Soma experience, it seems Carthage use these troops to even extend in Gaul. Not fun ;)

Traianus said:
I want to speak up for the little guy here. I've seen so many players claim RFRE is too easy but I would ask how many of you have actually built the spaceship? I'm not a great player but I do expect to win most regent games I play. That said, I haven't come close to winning RFRE after playing to 400ad+ twice. Both occasions I still hadn't gone near Egypt and just had tiny footholds in asia and dacia. I've no idea what britain looks like north of londinium. I abandoned both games after losing northern Italy to the germans and Byzantium to the huns.
If the early game is "too easy", well good. You need the help later on. I know more experienced gamers want a challenge but isn't that what the higher difficulty levels are for? Consul is too hard. I've spent 150 hours on this mod so it isn't just a gut reaction to a bad run of luck. I think new players who haven't already defeated Carthage five times are going to have it even harder.

Agree! I do have a hard time tuning the game for 1.0 with these different experiences. I am trying to tune up difficulty levels so that they offer a broader range of challenge, but the settings are limited. I never thought yet that the hardest part of the game was in the late AD (IV, Vth cent). Early game is much more dangerous as Rome is not able to take big challenges (like a Scythian invasion ;)) while late Rome is so HUGE that even massive Barbarian invasion are somehow... less dramatic. That said, I do need much more feedback on the late game!

pinktilapia said:
I never thought yet that the hardest part of the game was in the late AD (IV, Vth cent). Early game is much more dangerous as Rome is not able to take big challenges (like a Scythian invasion ;)) while late Rome is so HUGE that even massive Barbarian invasion are somehow... less dramatic. That said, I do need much more feedback on the late game!

Really? I don't find this at all. In the begining the other nations all have miniscule armies whereas later in the game you are spread so thin. Then when the barbarians come they come in such huge numbers with such high attack power. Unless you can attack those units first they cut through your Praesidiums like butter. Ah... why can't Rome survive!!!
Oh and I've been wanting to suggest you change the irrigation graphic since the earilier versions. Not that I have anything against it, just that it doesn't look good when you irrigate coastal squares and have these sharp square edges jutting out into the ocean.

hi pink, and all the others too :)

well i checkt... found the sound file... but no ini file...
and now i`m as helpless as before :mischief:

Arrr, a German version ;)

The .ini is there: Roman Army (Konfig something)

And I see the file you need in your Ancient Army folder:
ArmyAncientRun.amb

It should works!
Here is a possible solution to your trouble:
Try copying the sounds files (or at least the .amb one) into the Roman Army folder, and launch RFRE again. Let me know if it solves it!

EDIT:
FOUND your problem :) Your vanilla unit is called Army Ancient and not Army ancient times like my version. Sigh. You can rename the folder where RFRE look into by opening the ini file of Roman Army and replacing all ARMY ANCIENT TIMES by Army Ancient

You should then have this:

[Speed]
Normal Speed=225
Fast Speed=225

[Animations]
BLANK=
DEFAULT=RArmyDefault.flc
WALK=
RUN=RArmyRun.flc
ATTACK1=RArmyAttack.flc
ATTACK2=
ATTACK3=
DEFEND=
DEATH=RArmyDeath.flc
DEAD=
FORTIFY=
FORTIFYHOLD=
FIDGET=
VICTORY=
TURNLEFT=
TURNRIGHT=
BUILD=
ROAD=
MINE=
IRRIGATE=
FORTRESS=
CAPTURE=
STOP_AT_LAST_FRAME=
PauseROAD=
PauseMINE=
PauseIRRIGATE=
JUNGLE=
FOREST=
PauseFOREST=

[Timing]
BLANK=0.500000
DEFAULT=0.500000
WALK=0.500000
RUN=0.500000
ATTACK1=0.500000
ATTACK2=0.500000
ATTACK3=0.500000
DEFEND=0.500000
DEATH=0.500000
DEAD=0.500000
FORTIFY=0.500000
FORTIFYHOLD=0.500000
FIDGET=0.500000
VICTORY=0.500000
TURNLEFT=0.500000
TURNRIGHT=0.500000
BUILD=0.500000
ROAD=0.500000
MINE=0.500000
IRRIGATE=0.500000
FORTRESS=0.500000
CAPTURE=0.500000
STOP_AT_LAST_FRAME=0.500000
PauseROAD=0.500000
PauseMINE=0.500000
PauseIRRIGATE=0.500000
JUNGLE=0.500000
FOREST=0.500000
PauseFOREST=0.500000

[Sound Effects]
BLANK=
DEFAULT=
WALK=
RUN=..\Army Ancient\ArmyAncientRun.amb
ATTACK1=..\Army Ancient\ArmyAncientAttack.wav
ATTACK2=
ATTACK3=
DEFEND=
DEATH=..\Army Ancient\ArmyAncientDeath.wav
DEAD=
FORTIFY=
FORTIFYHOLD=
FIDGET=
VICTORY=
TURNLEFT=
TURNRIGHT=
BUILD=
ROAD=..\Worker\WorkerRoad.amb
MINE=..\Worker\WorkerMine.amb
IRRIGATE=..\Worker\workerIrrigate.amb
JUNGLE=..\Worker\WorkerJungle.amb
FOREST=..\Worker\WorkerForest.amb
FORTRESS=..\Worker\WorkerFortress.amb
CAPTURE=
STOP_AT_LAST_FRAME=
[Version]
VERSION=1
[Palette]
PALETTE=

BTW, I am not too sure the mod will work with a German (or any non English one) version. I do remember there was problems when some folks tried to do so earlier. Just by looking at your last screenshot, I can't help but to note that the fog of war is wrong: you are supposed to know all the Mediterranean coast and some other areas at start. Nonetheless, I believe some non-English version players suceeded in making english mod works, so let's cross the fingers.

Soam said:
Really? I don't find this at all. In the begining the other nations all have miniscule armies whereas later in the game you are spread so thin. Then when the barbarians come they come in such huge numbers with such high attack power. Unless you can attack those units first they cut through your Praesidiums like butter. Ah... why can't Rome survive!!!
Oh and I've been wanting to suggest you change the irrigation graphic since the earilier versions. Not that I have anything against it, just that it doesn't look good when you irrigate coastal squares and have these sharp square edges jutting out into the ocean.

You don't like polders :)?
I am open to suggestion for new farming pcx, just let me know which you have in mind.

*deeply bows*

great thanks pink!!!!!!!

the Ancient Army change solved it :goodjob:

the fog of war is corectly, when the file was not found it just stoped loading.

now i see a nicely drawn mediteranean and i guess i`m about to quarrel with phyrrus very soon :D

hope to get the game quite through before version 1.0 comes out .)

i have alredy placed about 10 books round my desk with maps and historic roman information :crazyeye:

a btw... as i read my way through most of this thread today..
there was an idea of giving the carthagians a special monarchy to lessen there army strenght...
actually Charthage was no monarchy since the 600BCs
it was ruled by two Sufeten (like judges) elected every year.
and a sort of senat made of aristocratics, wich decided solemly upon war and peace.

and .... i never realised there was a city of vienna in france!
but as i checked the maps... its there...
that makes the austrian vienna look quite poorly copied :lol:

sorry european fun :)

hopefuly for me i wont find any other diffrences between the us and german version.

well... then its off to tarentum for now ....

´

pinktilapia said:
You don't like polders :)?
I am open to suggestion for new farming pcx, just let me know which you have in mind.

Well to see what I mean take a look at page 72 of this thread (Gunner's post second from the top) and look at the shore near Pergamum and you can see how the irrigation cuts into the ocean.

Pink, I think catasta should give more bonuses for the player: it makes people unhappy, generates pollution and nothing positive, but an ability to build more improvements. May be as it's a slave market it should produce servi once every 10-15 turns. In my game i use servi for irrigation only, cause i don't have enough of them.

Soam said:

The problem is that I never manage to have the proper defenses in place in time for the big invasions. I'm too busy trying to fight dacia or Pontus or Iberia or Persia.
Re: Irrigation. I love Pounder's Fitted Irrigation. It has little farmhouses and hedgerows and he did a lot of work on eliminating the effect you mentioned.

A long war with Illyria and some serious cash problems upcoming....

Several military alliances were made in 238-235BC; Perganum and Scythia versus Dacia and then Bithyia and Perganum vs Dacia.

233BC - After moving both armies, 5 ballistas, 3 legions, 2 equis, and 10 Velites to the Illyrian border I declared war. Rejoice! :goodjob:

232BC - Aquileia falls quickly. Most Velites are left behind for road duty. Not sure how smart that was....The ballista are slowing me down, but are invaluable for softening up enemy defenses.

228BC - Slavery completed, Second Punic War started.

224 to 218BC - Salonae, Narona, Savaria, and Doclea all fall. Fine Timber found within Salonae's borders so new improved ships can be built, finally. Units need rest and reinforcements before moving on the last Illyrian city.

215BC - Second Punic War researched, Education started.

212BC - Apollonia captured, Illyria assimilated. Peace for a while, maybe....

Right now I'm spread out, going broke, and getting very nervous at all of the new neighbors I've found; the Germans, Macedonians, ect.

I can see the other reason for constant war ---- you can't support a large army so you may as well keep using it! I need to keep cranking out Praesidiums and hope I can hold my new borders while I build ships and prepare for Carthage....

Hi, Woodelf, my fellow in playing!

I see, you also could not resist and went for Illyria! :)

As about Carthage:
I don't think you can beat her on the sea.
In the second war with C., in around BC 200 (? I have to check that), she had about 20-30 ships around in the Med. Sea.
And in around BC 100-50 she had about 60-70 ships in the Greek Sea alone!
Consider that...

As about economy and military:
I think it is brillaintly kept in balance that you cannot have TOO many legion and other valuable military units... :goodjob:
Except - as Gunner pointed it out - the velites:
They are very useful on attack, both as artillery and quick attacker, their abilty to withdraw makes them superb!

I'm not sure I can afford that many ships, unless some have no upkeep charge. I just need a few more to land my legions on those islands and start harrassing Carthage. Can armies travel on boats or are they doomed to walk everywhere? :D

I have a bad feeling that the minute I get sucked into a Carthigian war the Northern tribes will choose that moment to overrun me. Oddly enough I look forward to it!

You can transport armies - they take 3 spaces of the 4 of cumba or quinquremis... :)

Yes, there is that threat from the barbarians, even this early on...

Oh, those "blue" swordsmen coming as intruders - and when they capture your city they suddenly turn to be one with national identity - and you can't recapture the city cause that would mean war with them! e.g. Germans...
That is a clever and annoying element of the game - again... ;)

I've had plenty of servants captured and improvements destroyed by those intruders. Highly annoying when you can't recapture the servants. Thanks for the heads up on the fact that they can capture cities.

How many Praesidiums are you leaving on that northern border V.?

1 or 2, maybe 1 and one velite...
Let's face it, in the end you will probably not hold on to these cities when Germanic Invasion comes in the 4rd and 5th century or even earlier...

I plan to build up limes at the Alps and the Balkan...
giving up cities north from that...

I will read it in the Civpedia but can someone help me out now:

what area must I own to be able to build the "spaceship" in RFRE?
must I own Carthage, for instance?

I have reached about 430 AD in my v0.922 game. I noticed that the Triumphus city improvement -- which is supposed to expire with the discovery of the 375-425AD Tech -- is still located in all my cities. The little sword next to the city has disappeared, and my cities no longer produce veteran units, implying that the improvement has indeed expired. However, if I open up the city screen, the two red money icons appear next to the Triumphus, and the 2 gold per turn charge still seems to be getting charged to my Treasury.

Does that mean that I need to go into each of my 100+ cities and delete all the Triumphuses (Triumphi?) or else continue to pay for an improvement that I am not using????? If so, then the same would be true for Forums and Census and all the other improvements which have expired on or prior to 425AD? Seems like a lot of micromanagement.... Any way around this?

By the way, the deletion of a Triumphus does not seem to alter the cities' accumulated culture. If I remember right in vanilla Civ, if the Player sells a city improvement, all the accumulated culture generated by that improvement disappears, too. If this is not happening in RFRE, would it be because the "preserve culture on capture" has been flagged?

V. Soma said:
I will read it in the Civpedia but can someone help me out now:

what area must I own to be able to build the "spaceship" in RFRE?
must I own Carthage, for instance?
Each of the cities required for the spaceship have their own resource. For example, Carthage, Carthago Nova, Pontus, Ephesus, Byzantium, Jersaulem. Some are already available on the map, but the rest won't be available until you're ready to build the spaceship.

Top Bottom