Rise And Rule Revisited (epic mod)

I started a new game and the Culture Victory option was able, so it wasn't inadvertently disabled. A strange case...

I think the riddle is solved. When looking into the civilopedia, the civ also must have at least twice the cultural points of any other civ in the game.

Also interesting is, that the civilopedia entry is speaking of 100.000 cultural points for the civ culture victory, while the last RAR biqs (and therefore RARR, too) had a setting of 50.000 cultural points. I think I will raise the level for this victory in general to 100.000 points in the next version of the RARR biq. :)

Attachments

• Cultural Victory.jpg
    Cultural Victory.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 642
Thanks for solving that riddle, Civinator. And yes, the 100.000 feels more right than the 50.000 for a culture victory.

I now also understand the ending in the year 1850, as there is also an extended version which I am playing now, which should take me to modern times.

Looking at the victory conditions, none were achieved in my finished game so the 'Histograph' was applied. I am not sure but on the Victory Status screen (F8) there are 3 Histographs: Victory Points, Power and Culture. Which of those 3 is the one for determining the winner?

Then another riddle: When I started the extended RARR, I put all rivals on random, including myself but just after the start I see on the Victory Status Screen there are just 23 rivals, instead of 30. How is that possible?

I had a very weird thing happen. A Polynesian Great Galleyas attacked my halberder almost as if it was a ground attack. It wasn't bombardment because the Polynesian ship suffered damage, before taking out the land unit.

This doesn't even seem like lethal land bombardment, because it clearly wasn't bombardment, the ship took damage. So, I just don't know what happened.

I had a very weird thing happen. A Polynesian Great Galleyas attacked my halberder almost as if it was a ground attack. It wasn't bombardment because the Polynesian ship suffered damage, before taking out the land unit.

This doesn't even seem like lethal land bombardment, because it clearly wasn't bombardment, the ship took damage. So, I just don't know what happened.
Can ships (i.e. naval units) be set as 'Amphibious'...?

Can ships (i.e. naval units) be set as 'Amphibious'...?

No, but in very few cases this can happen by AI pathfinding errors during ship movement in a combination of forbidden terrain for units with the wheeled flag and other factors like units with the wheeled flag and bordering other units or units that are transported by ships with the wheeled flag.

Is there anything that can be done? Are you saying that the galleass has the wheeled flag? After beating the land unit, there was only an archer unloaded, I am not sure if any other units were onboard.

Those were some general observations I made with a former test version of CCM2 when I set the sea terrain to be impassable to ships with the wheeled flag. The setting for ocean terrain to be impassable for ships with the wheeled flag, as it is in RAR and RARR, is better than the old test-setting for CCM2 with sea terrain, to avoid that ancient ships like trieremes and biremes can cross all oceans without danger when trade over ocean terrain is enabled by a tech - and I consider to use that concept of movement restrictions in ocean terrain for the next version of CCM2, too.

With such movement restrictions for ships I think it cannot be completely avoided, that such crashes of ships in coastal towns can happen (and this even can lead to a declaration of war), but to avoid situations that your waters are filled with ancient sailing ships, coming across the oceans in the last eras of the game, these settings are worth the very few situations, when such crashes of ships into coastal towns will happen.

The Great Galleass has the wheeled flag. Ships with that setting are marked in the civilopedia, that they are not able to enter ocean terrain.

Attachments

• Great Galleass.jpg
    Great Galleass.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 508
Last edited:
OK, I understand. It seems as if Civ 3 has compromises in it, who would have thought.

Another thing, the arrows around Espionage seem to indicate that Emancipation is a prerequisite. I can research Espionage without researching Emancipation.

Another thing, the arrows around Espionage seem to indicate that Emancipation is a prerequisite. I can research Espionage without researching Emancipation.

ynot56, thank you very much for reporting this error. :) In the next version of the RARR biq this will be fixed. In the present biqs the tech Social Darwinism is sufficient for researching tech Espionage, but the tech Emancipation as a prerequisite for Espionage in my eyes graphically looks much better in the techtree. In that case the techtree graphics are showing the setting that was intended.

Attachments

• Espionage.jpg
    Espionage.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 507
Civinator, is it correct that the British Horse Artillery is NOT lethal to naval units?

Civinator, is it correct that the British Horse Artillery is NOT lethal to naval units?

Yes, this is intended. None of the horseartillery units has lethal sea bombardment - not only the British one. The anti-naval role was not the normal job of those mostly light cannons.

Hi, thanks again to Civinator for giving us an opportunity to dive once again into one of the best games I've played in my life. Now I have another 10-20 years of fun ahead of me.

My question is more about Civ3 than RARR, but anyway : does anybody knows how to make a portable version of C3C / RARR, so I can play it from a pen drive on any PC?
I've seen a thread on the forum but it's not solved.
And I've heard about a program who can make a portable game if launched upon installation.
But maybe there's an easier solution? Truth is, I havn't tried to copy the files yet to test things....

Thanks

PhilB, thank you very much for your continuing interest in RARR. :)

Unfortunately I´m not the best one to answer your question about playing C3C/RARR from a pen drive on any pc. There are cloud solutions for C3C by steam - or even much better GOG - if this is what you are meaning.

lurker's comment: For the cultural victory civilopedia entry you could just say ‘humanity’ instead of ‘man- and woman-kind’.

lurker's comment: For the cultural victory civilopedia entry you could just say ‘humanity’ instead of ‘man- and woman-kind’.
From one (pseudo) lurker to another, I always go with, "humankind."

Another pack of issues from RARR build:
Artillery.png

Airfield.png

1. It seems that 152mm Artillery doesn't need oil.
  2. Under some reasons airfields can't be placed along with mines/irrigation.
None of the horseartillery units has lethal sea bombardment
That means a downgrade for cannons, as they do have lethal sea bombardment. IMHO, there are 2 possible sollutions:
  1. Set upgrade path for cannons to siege artillery instead of horse artillery.
  2. Delete LSB flag from cannons.

Under some reasons airfields can't be placed along with mines/irrigation.
This is not a glitch with RARR, but with the conquests.exe: it also happens in the epic-game.

The Airfield will replace the underlying terrain-improvement, but the mine (="worker camp") or irrigation can be rebuilt again afterwards, without destroying the Airfield.

Belofon, thank you very much about your input to RARR. :)

As tjs282 pointed out, the fact that airfields replace mines or irrigation is not an error of RARR, but the programming of C3C. If you have a look into the RARR civilopedia, you will see, that here that fact is documented much better than in the Firaxis C3C civilopedia:

Belofon, I will reflect about your suggestions concerning the different forms of artillery, especially the suggestion about the upgrade paths of those units and the prerequisites of the artillery unit. :)

Attachments

• Airfields.jpg
    Airfields.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 313
Top Bottom