1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Role Play Challenge, The Next Generation: Sid Meier, The Civilized Tyrant

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by madscientist, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Der Graf

Der Graf Omnipresent Eye

Wipe them off the map, Sid :goodjob:

2. west india man

west india man Immortal

Grind them into your shoe (well, sandal because shoes haven't been invented)!!! Civfanatics are calling for not-so-great Egyptian cities to be captured! We want more war even more than these people: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zWDOZ4w8YE! And remember, don't let their blood stain the carpet in the Royal Palace your majesty :goodjob:.

3. huerfanista

huerfanista Chieftain

Funny, I must have overlooked that one all these years. :mischief:

4. Loki Strikes

Loki Strikes Chieftain

Agreed Sid takes no prisoners

5. Metal Bunny

Metal Bunny Chieftain

Take it all!
    Hatty tends to build a lot and it is possible that cultural pressure will annoy you later on. Don't want that :).

Stalin also looks small enough, so I suggest taking him too.

Perhaps you should try and whip/chop out a forbidden palace in somewhere where you think the middle of the hemisphere is. It should help enough to keep your economy afloat until more infrastructure is done, along with key techs like economics and such.

6. west india man

west india man Immortal

Unless the Versailles is built...:satan:

7. madscientist

madscientist RPC Supergenius

Sorry, the promotion is called TACTICS and gives an additional 30% withdrawl.

8. LegioCorvus

LegioCorvus Chieftain

Get Metal Casting w/ a 10 turn peace treaty, and use that time to take out Stalin.

When you're done with Stalin, come back and finish the job on Hatty.

What are the odds of Numidians against Macemen? I'd imagine it'd be something like Axemen vs. Praets, since the Macemen wouldn't get a bonus against the Numidians.

Land is power. :rockon: (The Civfanatican motto?)

9. i_imperator

i_imperator Imperator

I'd take out Stalin next and cap hatty. He's already annoyed at you so a war with him will happen sooner or later. And if hatty caps she'll be able to help out...You can always wipe out hatty towards the end of the game if you want to stick with pure conquest.

10. Wreck

Wreck Chieftain

Surely Metal Casting is worth 10 turns of survival. But no more than that.

11. Silv Something

Silv Something Pi(e) Loving Maniac

I agree as well.

This conversation took place after the end of KOTW #16: Julius Caeser.

And now I say that vassals are just rivals you are too lazy to defeat!

12. huerfanista

huerfanista Chieftain

Yeah, that's what I figured. ;)

On the game, take Hattie out, then Stalin. Why stop now? You can definitely keep advancing on pillage gold and extorted techs. Mao should be easy to roll once you have maces/trebs. WEs will neutralize CKNs, and besides, then AI doesn't know how to use them effectively.

13. Yared

Yared That Guy

I want a capital named after me!

Kill her off. He's a freaking tyrant.

14. CHEESE!

CHEESE! On a long nostalgia trip

Waa. CHEESE! wants a city.

15. Kev

Kev Hired Goon

Cats and Phants can take you a long way - and the nicely promoted NC's are a great support unit in these cases. Definitely make use of this kind window and ply the charismatic side as much as possible before you hunker down and look to ply the financial side.

Any other wonders in Mao's territory?

16. Jehoshua

Jehoshua Catholic

Slay the infidels. You can;t seriously even consider letting the Egyptian B***h live.

Kill them all, no vassals!

17. Blacklanner

Blacklanner Chieftain

I think Mao building TGL is a huge stroke of luck for you. It should be easy for you to repossess it before too long. In my shadow game I clearcut my capital and was able to build it there, then used the extra trade routes to keep my economy strong. I sucked up to Mao for a very long time (before taking Beijing with amphibious elephants :D) so i could get the benefit of lots of foreign overseas trade routes.

One consideration with keeping vassals as opposed to total conquest is you can also get more trade route commerce with them than your own cities. Pre astro that might be very helpful if you clear out your hemisphere.

Spoiler :
    I've played my shadow game to 1885 so far, working on building up enough military to attack the strongest remaining ai and invade his continent. I finished the entire tech tree in 1880, having led the world in tech the entire game because of using too many commerce cities early and having TGL. Let the rushbuying begin.

Other than TGL, i've built 3 wonders. I was able to power out the clossolus early game shortly after tgl. Late game I built Cristo and the dam. Used 1 GE on each or the ai probably would have beaten me since one of them got the techs at about the same time as me. I wanted the pentagon so i could pump out level 3 units everywhere with theo + vasslage, but with no eng it wasn't to be. I could have gotten the dam easy, i was first to plastics by ~15 turns, but i needed only 7 more turns to get computers, and i wanted to build the internet in my best production city. None of the other good spots were riverside.

Mad has had a larger/better military for all his conquests so far, but i didn't keep a log to compare dates for my attacks. Because i had TGL and Col, i knew even crap cities would be profitable, so I choose to cram cities in everywhere i could. Only problem is that ment they were all basically commerce cities given the land and that half the tiles they worked or more were coast. My capital was my only strong early production city, then eventually Gilgamesh's and Statlin's. Saladin's capital made an awesome gp farm with 2 seafood and 2 irrigated corn. Because i worker stole from saladin, he didn't found Judaism in my game. In fact noone had a religion at all for a very long time. Eventually i decided to make a run at theo, and lost it by 2 or 3 turns. After considering the situation i realized my continent likely wouldn't have a religion at all if noone founded islam here, and did it myself. Then it took me forever to get a gp :( I think i got 2 scientists, a merchant and an eng first. I couldn't get the gp chance over 25% or so b/c i could only run one priest until i got music.

In hindsight,I think i should have farmed the fp rather than cottaging them, and then had 2 decent production cities from all the hills in that area.

Post optics, i just threw up my hands and said forget diplo, no way i can keep even half of 40 people happy. I opened borders with everyone I could as soon as i could trying to max out trade routes. Ended up with -4 you have traded with our worst enemies with most of the world, but enough positive modifiers till most people were cautious or pleased for a long time. Now that i've been warmongering a bit and refusing demands left and right, world diplo is solidly bad with most ai's annoyed/furious. Initially i gave in to several demands to give techs, but refused all to stop trading and most of the join in war requests. Fought a few fake wars b/c of diplo. Now that i'm well established i've been refusing everything except requests for crap techs from backwards ai's i don't care about. More laziness than strategy there. I've been checking every few turns to see if i can sell worthless techs to backwards ai as well. Most of the world fears my power too much to attack me. I think the power leader is gearing up to attack me, he has enough on his hands, isn't in a war and hates me. But that's ok because i've got enough on my hands rush-buying mech inf and modern armor to use on him in a few turns. So far i haven't been invaded by anyone. The french did land a moderate force when i invaded them, but it was easily crushed.

I've learned a lot from this romp. I think i should have gone for more early production and made better use of the numadians. This has also been the first game I've extensively utilized drafting. I guess having too many low production cities does lend itself well to that. My initial overseas invasions were based entirely on drafted rifles/upgraded troops, then later drafted infantry and upgraded veterans. I was surprised just how amazing drafted rifles are. Felt like cheating it was so efficient.

I can't see how I could lose this game. Even if i got dogpiled by everyone i could probably still win at this point. Currently i control 2 hemispheres completely and I'm about to invade a third. I'm a little nervous about being repulsed there, it will be my first invasion of a decently strong ai with full railroads.

Silly trivia from my game - jc of rome was first to astro and had it before i met him, but i got the circumnavigation bonus with caravels before him. navII caravels 4tw.
    I've built exactly 1 worker the entire game. I've captured so many they've been idling at various points with nothing to do, not even tundra in the middle of nowhere to road/fort over.

I think having 40 ai in the game actually makes it easier. At least on this map. Beyond a certain point they crowd each other out and are more likely to get caught up in wars closer to home than attacking a distant human. It does make getting wonders very difficult, but usually its best to only build a few key ones and take anything else anyway. Now 40 ai on pangaea could be super interesting. Maybe i'll try that next.

18. ICNP

ICNP The Third Superpower

Let Hatty live, she'll make a fine Queen (the only you'll have for a while) and you can let her use her AI bonuses for Tech filling.

19. west india man

west india man Immortal

HATTIE MUST DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:devil:

20. sakhmet

sakhmet Chieftain

This is actaully not a bad argument! Well, atleast 'till we get Boudica! Or Cathrine. YUM!

[pimp]