SCENARIO: Age of Imperialism; 1895-1924, Deluxe Version

Now you do an update for Austria-Hungary!:lol:

Thats my luck, downloaded it a few days ago and played as A-H then you do an update with loads of new units for them...

Oh well...

Now you do an update for Austria-Hungary!:lol:

Thats my luck, downloaded it a few days ago and played as A-H then you do an update with loads of new units for them...

Oh well...

Haha. I'm also pleased with Justo's improvements of Austro-Hungary, and his screenshot is pleasing as well; I like the way the railroads look now.

But, the minimap is rather... unbefitting. It cuts out whole portions of the minimap with the gray rectangles and even the arms of the statues that additionally cover parts of the minimap.

Back to Ciaran... how far are you into your Austro-Hungary game?

My progress is surprisingly epic, and I was lucky enough for certain events and alliances, certain wars and certain peaces, to occur in my game for everything to fall into place, right into my hands at the helm of the Austro-Hungarian World Empire.

As you can see, the year is now barely 1908, and I control the third largest, and the third most populated empire in the world, as well as controlling the second-largest economy in the world according to the F11 report.

Earlier a couple pages back into this thread, I noticed some cities were being destroyed; apparently my No-Raze Patch bugged out for no reason, although it had been working. I needed to re-apply it from a fresh source, and it works again. Unfortunately, a few cities were destroyed (Vladivostok, and the eastern 2 cities of British South Africa) by the AI, but that's an acceptable loss; I don't want to quit and restart due to my tremendous progress already. I'm very certain I can lead Austro-Hungary to absolute world domination, from being a pathetic minor nation in Europe, to being one of the most powerful nations on the map (and the strongest nation in the Eurasian continental landmass).

Originally I started out by forming an army for a short time until I could attack the Balkans (my alliance with Germany disabled, as I don't need German assistance and would rather be able to conquer them later anyways once I possess such power), conquering all Balkan cities. Then it was a matter of taking Ottoman Thessaloniki (by that time, I had so many artillery pieces I sunk the entire Ottoman Navy from my own coastlines in safety), and beginning the process of true development of infrastructure, financial institutions, and industrial buildings. Then, war with Germany/Russia broke out, and after a while of allowing them to duke it out, thus wearing down Russia, I began a long campaign of conquest deep into Russia, taking Yaroslavl to Moscow to Kazan, from Gomel to Saratov to Tula, the entire Russian Caucasian region, and from Astrakhan to Astana to Surgut to Novonikolayevsk, and everything Russian south of that last line of cities. Once I took Novo my territorial ambitions were complete, with only relatively worthless cities in the tundra that were no longer much of a threat, and I made peace, assuring my place as the most far-flung empire in Eurasia. Soon, I would turn my eye to Ottoman Turkey, after war broke out between Britain and the Ottomans, and I took it before the British could possibly do so.

Then it was far less exhilarating because I began to completely develop, recently ending a war with Italy after taking their peninsula and Sardinian island.

My income shown on the screenshot is low; I'm giving heavy amounts of financial aid (to the tune of 2000 gold per turn, and a 4600 gold gift at the beginning of my financial war aid) to the Boers who are fighting the British, and have made gains. By funnelling money to the Boers, I hope to weaken the British in Africa without firing a shot myself. It's working pretty well, but the Portuguese are becoming increasingly powerful, having apparently taken advantage of the very long war between Britain and France by taking myriad British cities throughout Africa, including those the British took from many other nations.

The Ottomans are reduced to their three Iraqi cities, the Chinese have about half their nation left, the Russians have a single city left at Port Arthur, the Spanish have Cuba, Puerto Rico, and half of the Philippines left, while the Americans have most of Canada and Central America (CA being eliminated already). The Germans have lost virtually all their colonies, but have a decent empire throughout the Baltic regions, territory in the Russian far-east, and France controls the Lowlands and a good portion of former Spain. As of now, I am producing a great number of Steam Transports in the Caspian Sea for a prepared invasion of Persia and the last Ottoman haven of Iraq, in order to potentially pose a threat to the British in Asia.

Back to Ciaran... how far are you into your Austro-Hungary game?

I think in 1902. I will show a screenshot later of it.

I see your expanding eastward. I will attack Persia but thats how far I'll go until I've conquered Europe.

EDIT: Spain and Britain have gone to war! I'll support the Spanish with money and stuff because I want the British to wear out a bit so I can take them over in VPs.

Leobon said:
Originally I started out by forming an army for a short time until I could attack the Balkans (my alliance with Germany disabled, as I don't need German assistance and would rather be able to conquer them later anyways once I possess such power), conquering all Balkan cities. Then it was a matter of taking Ottoman Thessaloniki (by that time, I had so many artillery pieces I sunk the entire Ottoman Navy from my own coastlines in safety), and beginning the process of true development of infrastructure, financial institutions, and industrial buildings.

That is exactly what I did! I took the Balkans, the Ottoman Thessaloniki, then had a ROP with Russia and went around and took Constantinople. Meanwhile, my artillery destroyed the Ottoman navy (which was massive) bombarding Thessaloniki. I also had about 20 howitzers with my cavalry and infantry bombarding the cities, taking the health down of all units defending each city and finished them with my cavalry. Then Germany (who I AM allied with) made peace. That didn't stop me decalring war again and finishing them off. The Germans took the 2 African cities. In all, I gained about 10 cities. I lost 3 cavalry.

I think in 1902. I will show a screenshot later of it.

I see your expanding eastward. I will attack Persia but thats how far I'll go until I've conquered Europe.

If you press your "prt sc" (print screen) button and then copy-paste into a Paint file, save the file as an image, and then upload it to Imageshack.us you could show it now (wink wink). ;)

I expanded eastward because it's easiest for Austro-Hungary, and gives me the better bang for my buck. Attacking Italy or godforbid Germany would be long, arduous, or potentially suicidal. Italian units are comparable to Austrian units, and fighting Germany without plenty of cities for support and income is what we call one big joke. So whenever I play A-H, Balkans + Ottoman Thessaloniki are my immediate objectives. It gives me a power base as well as an expanded industrial economy and production-capable cities to garrison the empire and pose a challenge to my neighbors, even though war with Germany by myself would have to end quickly or I'd lose too much anyways. Typically Germany and Russia will fight... happens in every game, and usually when I play, they fight sooner than later, and I always take advantage of it, and grab as much Russian territory as I possibly can so I can develop it and turn my massive empire into a serious challenge for Germany and France. Now, my cities are mostly developed, few improvements left I have not built, and each city has a pretty good production value so my rate of military production can easily outstrip the German ability. Right now I could probably fight a successful war against Germany, but I don't want to start it yet because I'd rather wait a while to be fully prepared.

EDIT: Spain and Britain have gone to war! I'll support the Spanish with money and stuff because I want the British to wear out a bit so I can take them over in VPs.

That is exactly what I did! I took the Balkans, the Ottoman Thessaloniki, then had a ROP with Russia and went around and took Constantinople. Meanwhile, my artillery destroyed the Ottoman navy (which was massive) bombarding Thessaloniki. I also had about 20 howitzers with my cavalry and infantry bombarding the cities, taking the health down of all units defending each city and finished them with my cavalry. Then Germany (who I AM allied with) made peace. That didn't stop me decalring war again and finishing them off. The Germans took the 2 African cities. In all, I gained about 10 cities. I lost 3 cavalry.

Sorry, didn't see you had edited your post. Personally if I were you, I wouldn't mimic my financial aid tactic unless you have a substantially powerful empire. If Germany or Russia attacks you right now, all that income you're giving away may be the key to your own demise because your ability to rush units will be severely hampered. Then again I haven't seen your screenshot.

While I was taking out Balkan cities, most of my cities were producing artillery. Since artillery is fairly cheap, I ended up with 30 or more artillery pieces (the 12 damage types initially) by the time I took Irakleion. I ended up developing a bit my cities before taking Thessaloniki, because I wanted to be able to fight back if something went wrong somehow, and made a lot more artillery. At the end of my war with Russia I had over 200 artillery before I switched cities to development (the conquered ones producing machineguns of course) of varying types.

I considered going into Turkey during my first Ottoman War but I decided not to. I was focusing on artillery so I could sink the Ottoman navy and bombard the city to hell to minimize casualties, and I still had manpower shortages. I had enough to take the city of course, but not enough to go into Turkey. I saved that for later.

If you press your "prt sc" (print screen) button and then copy-paste into a Paint file, save the file as an image, and then upload it to Imageshack.us you could show it now (wink wink). ;)

I know but my brother is on the computer and I'm on my laptop so I'll wait till he's done.

LEOBON said:
I expanded eastward because it's easiest for Austro-Hungary, and gives me the better bang for my buck. Attacking Italy or godforbid Germany would be long, arduous, or potentially suicidal. Italian units are comparable to Austrian units, and fighting Germany without plenty of cities for support and income is what we call one big joke. So whenever I play A-H, Balkans + Ottoman Thessaloniki are my immediate objectives. It gives me a power base as well as an expanded industrial economy and production-capable cities to garrison the empire and pose a challenge to my neighbors, even though war with Germany by myself would have to end quickly or I'd lose too much anyways. Typically Germany and Russia will fight... happens in every game, and usually when I play, they fight sooner than later, and I always take advantage of it, and grab as much Russian territory as I possibly can so I can develop it and turn my massive empire into a serious challenge for Germany and France. Now, my cities are mostly developed, few improvements left I have not built, and each city has a pretty good production value so my rate of military production can easily outstrip the German ability. Right now I could probably fight a successful war against Germany, but I don't want to start it yet because I'd rather wait a while to be fully prepared.

I will attack Scandanavia next, leaving their top one (which is rubbish) that I don't know the name of to the Germans, as well as Iceland, and for me, Oslo and Stockholm have VPs, Trondheim is the best city in the game (well that's what it says), Copenhagen will give me a good city surrounded by friendly Germans, and Kalmar would be easy too take and pretty well protected so they will be mine. Then Brussels and Amsterdam will be next, with a VP each. Germany is a good ally, but annoying because they took Athenae (or whatever it's called) and Milan that I could have easily taken and they each have a VP and are good cities. Then I might have France. Hmmmm:confused:

Leobon said:
Sorry, didn't see you had edited your post. Personally if I were you, I wouldn't mimic my financial aid tactic unless you have a substantially powerful empire. If Germany or Russia attacks you right now, all that income you're giving away may be the key to your own demise because your ability to rush units will be severely hampered. Then again I haven't seen your screenshot.

No I was only doing the same expanding-wise and to Spain only a small amount of money will go to them.

Leobon said:
While I was taking out Balkan cities, most of my cities were producing artillery. Since artillery is fairly cheap, I ended up with 30 or more artillery pieces (the 12 damage types initially) by the time I took Irakleion. I ended up developing a bit my cities before taking Thessaloniki, because I wanted to be able to fight back if something went wrong somehow, and made a lot more artillery. At the end of my war with Russia I had over 200 artillery before I switched cities to development (the conquered ones producing machineguns of course) of varying types.

Yea artillery is key to success in civ.

Leobon said:
I considered going into Turkey during my first Ottoman War but I decided not to. I was focusing on artillery so I could sink the Ottoman navy and bombard the city to hell to minimize casualties, and I still had manpower shortages. I had enough to take the city of course, but not enough to go into Turkey. I saved that for later.

Yea I just wanted to have a big enough empire so that I had loads of production so I could take out the big powers. Remember I am allied with Germany.

I know but my brother is on the computer and I'm on my laptop so I'll wait till he's done.

I will attack Scandanavia next, leaving their top one (which is rubbish) that I don't know the name of to the Germans, as well as Iceland, and for me, Oslo and Stockholm have VPs, Trondheim is the best city in the game (well that's what it says), Copenhagen will give me a good city surrounded by friendly Germans, and Kalmar would be easy too take and pretty well protected so they will be mine. Then Brussels and Amsterdam will be next, with a VP each. Germany is a good ally, but annoying because they took Athenae (or whatever it's called) and Milan that I could have easily taken and they each have a VP and are good cities. Then I might have France. Hmmmm:confused:

That's exactly why when I play as Germany or Austria, I disable the locked alliance. The other guy tends to steal cities. Plus, I hate not being able to fully conquer the world.

That's exactly why when I play as Germany or Austria, I disable the locked alliance. The other guy tends to steal cities. Plus, I hate not being able to fully conquer the world.

Yea I just like additional support and knowing that my (well in this case) north is secure from attack.

I'll try to go on now.

Screenshots from my Austria-Hungary game:

Stuff to look at: The left of Canada (the extrememly short war between me and Germany against Britain, all for a couple of gold! They demanded some, I refused then they sent ships, I destroyed them and Germany took a city, in about a 10 turn war! A British city!), My Empire!

My main base
Spoiler :

My army invading Scandanavia
Spoiler :

Anglo-Spanish War
Spoiler :

wow! you guys have been busy!

don't sweat the unit add's. i mean, in most cases, the added units apply primarily to the last era (A-H is sort of an exception though). so the gist of it is that the current version does not differ all that much from the new and upcoming version (asthetics is probably the main thing imo).

i guess if i were to try to more aptly characterize the differences w/ this new version compared to the current one, i'd say that:

a.) asthetics will be improved as will the audio (soundtrack [hopefully] and ambience sfx)

b.) science will be more diverse and there'll be more (and probably difficult) choices

c.) slight enhancements to the buildings and wonders (the latter mostly)

d.) a streamline effect will be in place; by this i mean that there's less total turns and the base unit of time has been cut back. so this means that we'll be able to get to the last 2 eras quicker than in the past (a good thing imho)

e.) the addition of the whole last era is probably the greatest change...as it adds more units and beefs up the generational lines; it also adds on a few new technologies such as naval aviation (cvl's and naval air units)

f.) a few extra cities were added in here and there (colonial only)

other than the above referenced points, i can confidently assert that the core game play will essentially remain the same (which is important to me since v3.0 ran so well).

i'm hoping that i can get a beta run started in a few weeks. there's still a few more things i need to add in but the heavy duty stuff (in terms of new units etc, the CivP notwithstanding) is pretty much done with :D

Many thanks for a brilliant scenarios :goodjob:

Have a quick question and have tried scanning through the thread but an impossible job :crazyeye:

Playing the Ottomans at the minute - is it right that the mountain range across the middle of their lands are impassable?

Many thanks

Playing the Ottomans at the minute - is it right that the mountain range across the middle of their lands are impassable?

Yes, it is. The impassable mountain ranges are supposed to prevent the industrialism resource to reach colonial cities and vice versa. You will notice that one half is industrialized while the other is not.

I have only one problem now. My old save that I did before leaving AoI again will not load. Some error about missing a building. I will try again and see just exactly which building.

The save might be a different version from what you currently are trying to use.

robpac,

yes, Stazro is right; the mountain range cuts off the colonialism resource from reaching back to the industrialized areas (and for industrialism from reaching the colonial areas).

Civ Khan,
that sounds like the 'folder within a folder' issue. did you re-DL the files? i mean, did you do a reinstall?

make sure that you 'cut' the folder out. you probably have it like this: Conquests/AoI/AoI

'cut' it - the one on the inside - and 'paste it into the Conquests directory; overwrite the existing (and now empty) one :D

Top Bottom