SCENARIO: Age of Imperialism; 1895-1924, Deluxe Version

@jimmygeo
interesting remarks :) thanks for sharing. the upgrade chain/path for all civs has been streamlined a bit. by this i mean that all non-capital ships upgrade to one another in sequence (as opposed to v3.0 where it was essentially every other generation). capital ships will become "obsolete" on the following gen - v3.0 has it where all pre-dreds upgrade to the top pre-dred and then the dreds-->dreds, super dreds-->super dreds. no more actual upgrading for these ships (BBs and BCs). for example, the 2nd gen pre-dred will "obsolete" the 1st gen one...and the 3rd will obsolete the 2nd and so on. iow, there is no disticntion between pre-dreds, dreds, or super dreds. this will accomplish two main things: reduce the build queue some and have the option of second, third and even fourth rate ships in your fleet --- or one can scrap (disband) them :) your pick. same will apply to aircraft (non-capital ships).

very interesting remarks re splitting up the British Empire. the idea of a Canadian and ANZAC civ is appealing although it would take some rearranging...and i'd have to really chew it over. but on a sidenote, i've played the brits before and had a devil of a time covering my borders. i've also seen varying efforts by the Brit AI. so i guess it all depends on the roll of the dice w/ different games.

@CivAgememnon
yes, you don't need a buff system in the least...mine is from 2002 and it runs really, really well.

28 March update
i've plunged forward w/ this New Granada alpha test. it's been sort of boring but informative nonetheless. shield and science rates are climbing...as is my army. not much of a navy to speak of yet. been very quiet in s america although others have finally started to duke it out.

mid 1898 saw a few wars erupt. France declared vs Lowlands and have been tit-for-tat for the last year (by mid 1899 that is). no cities have changed hands among them. Ottomans declared vs Russia and were creamed --

i'm thinking up upping the shield costs for the russian cossack units. there's just far too many of them...piles and piles. i guess it's not the quantity of russian units i'm concerned about (barely though, there were hordes); it's ivan's quality that makes me want to raise the prices on their best attack unit. not sure on the increase but probably somewhere in the 15-25% range.

Germany declared vs the Brits several turns back before i saved. no cities have changed hands (yet). lots and lots of naval activity among the two. France has sent a bunch of their crap cruisers out against the Dutch in Indonesia.

i like to keep track of who builds which wonders...
World Fair I in Atlanta
Olympic Games Host I in NYC
Discovery: The X-Ray in Prague
Invention: First Heavier Than Air Flight in Trondheim
Discovery: Aspirin in Tokyo
Discovery: The Electron in Oslo
Invention: Vaccuum Tubes in Philly

check out Bristish India w/ all of the chain-gang workers :lol: busy little beavers!

of course, i'm keeping a tally of changes i need to make before this hog is ready (very minor ones like lack of food [red cities] and shields mainly). there are some non-gameplay related issues that i need to address as well: static images for a bunch of techs and a slew of wonders (ordered) and also the sounds (partially done).

YAY! I especially love those chain gang workers. We need people like them for colonies. That was Australia's original British population I believe. Or atleast most of it.

This keeps looking better and better :goodjob: I see you've connected the Dardanelles to Anatolia here?

Well Panama had a lot more international shipping going through it than the Dardanelles. A lot of diffrent nations used it. It's like the Suez.

Also in Tanicusfox's game he added Madhist Sudan which looks interesting. Another African power. have you considered that?

i'd have to chew it on. it's difficult to convince me to add in whole civs :)

agreed on the straits although the turks were never pleased w/ allowing russian capital ships through them. anyhow, for game play purposes, only russia is affected by a closure of the dardenelles. but panama city is there for the taking...or will be once i edit it.

I didn't even notice the Dardanelles were sealed up. I always wondered why they weren't, especially since Ivan and the Turks were often at each others throats, iin many ways.

:lol: originally, yes, it was a penal colony.

If memory serves, wasn't America serving that purpose as well very early on?

I would be against removing the Panama Canal.

mhmhm, you can't pay your debts and we throw you in jail where you have no hope of making money. That happened too much and the prisons overflowed. Next stop, America.

Chain gang guys look great. :D

As far as the Brits being "overpowering" they can be, but I have seen them get hammered before in games as well. In most games, they are going to do pretty good, but not in every game. This is a historical scenario, which mean things are not necessarily "balanced" in the traditional sense of the word. There are absolutely positions that start out with big advantages and other positions that start out with disadvantages. We have never made that a secret, but instead encourage players to take that into consideration when selecting the difficulty level of the game along with what type of game they want.

Splitting out Anzac and Canada could be an interesting variant, but would not reflect the political reality of the time. (Australia and Canada were dominions of the Crown and were not really independent at all from my quick research). This would be far more applicable to a WW2 era scenario, which is not covered in this time period.

the american colonies were set up mainly for religious freedom - although it was rather contradictory in new england (mass bay colony mainly) as there was very little room for colonists to practice any type of religion that differed too much from the ultra conservative puritan beliefs...and so the other new england colonies soon followed and afforded colonists a far greater ability to practice their religion. the middle colonies were very opened minded in terms of religion.

georgia was set up initially as a debtor's colony but it never really took off.

re the panama canal - i know i'm sort going against my 'gameplay' instincts here by sealing it off. however, we should remember that until it was opened for business, the trek down under argentina was the way is was :) so i'm inclined to go with this until some nation captures Panamá. the one main reason i'd keep it "open" would be to better facilitate the return of the RMs...but for now, i want to seal it off.

now off to my fantasy baseball draft :cool:

Commendations for the great scenario, El Justo, I've been playing it for years. Yours and Plotinus's scenarios are generally my favourite ones :goodjob:
Still, so far I've resisted the temptation to post myself :)
Just two small comments, although I realize it's too late for changes now and you may not be inclined to include such in the first place.
1) Germany-AH as a fixed alliance, but what about the rest of them? AoI progressed to WWI and beyond, but still the Entente is unlikely to occur. Games tend to be the chaotic "everyone vs. everyone".
2) I still don't quite understand the decision to leave Bulgaria out. It was a military force to be reckoned with. Instead, we have Albanian cities. Albania was insignificant and irrelevant in European politics. On the other hand, Bulgaria could complicate the equation - it left the Balkan league and became an ally of Germany and of the Ottoman empire. However, if that is the case, why not have Montenegro (Podgoritsa?) instead of Pristina for the Balkans; Montenegro was actually a member of the Balkan coalition.
Keep up the good work and many thanks for your efforts!

Actually I believe the Ottomans should hold Albania at this point. It's 1895 which is prior to the Balkan Wars. So the Ottomans have Thrace, Macedonia, and Albania. I don't know about Thesselia. I think they took it later on.

Chain gang guys look great. :D

As far as the Brits being "overpowering" they can be, but I have seen them get hammered before in games as well. In most games, they are going to do pretty good, but not in every game. This is a historical scenario, which mean things are not necessarily "balanced" in the traditional sense of the word. There are absolutely positions that start out with big advantages and other positions that start out with disadvantages. We have never made that a secret, but instead encourage players to take that into consideration when selecting the difficulty level of the game along with what type of game they want.

Splitting out Anzac and Canada could be an interesting variant, but would not reflect the political reality of the time. (Australia and Canada were dominions of the Crown and were not really independent at all from my quick research). This would be far more applicable to a WW2 era scenario, which is not covered in this time period.

I agree that it would be historically inaccurate for this time period to split off Canada and Australia. During both the Boer War an WWI foreign policy for both Dominions was, for the most part, dictated by Britain. When Britian declared war on Germany in August 1914, Canada was at war as well.

As far as Panama is concerned, I don't know that I have strong feelings either way. In past games I've blocked it off with Naval units to control access. Forcing control of the city might be interesting.

I'm not clear on the following point and will be happy if anyone knows this: does provoking a war with a submarine qualify you as an aggressor? Or the aggressor is not the owner of the submarine, but rather the player to encounter it accidentally?

Top Bottom