SCENARIO: The Vietnam War Deluxe; 1965-1975

very nice :clap:

those are very realistic restrictions bud - you'll find yourself though as SV using your air power to repell Charlie & Co. i mean, once the turns start mounting. i remember in testing the SV file, i reached 1966 a few times and was using just about every single air unit in my arsenal. and it seemed like i i could never have enough B52s either...

Really looking forward to it :cool: .

those are interesting reports The Loser. thanks for sharing :)

at about what turn did you capture Saigon?

and also - what difficulty level are you playing at?

I think i captured Saigon at +- turn 25

I played at the third difficulty
=> i like to take an easy start and learn the scenario, after that its time for the real challenge :p

SV Colonel Turn 1 - Redux:
Having heard the cry of battle, ARVN and US decide to crank up the action in SE Asia a notch. The end results were all VC outposts within SV territory save for bunkers and a single VC Inf up near Khe Sanh were eliminated. All this at the cost of 3 ARVN Infantry! Not too shabby.

Highlights:
USS Boston and Newport News were each able to wipe out VC's entrenched near Hoi An and Vung Tau with their heavy 203mm shells.

USS Canberra destroyed the highway line within NV space from Ben Hai into SV.

Combat engineers extended highway in SV towards Ca Mu and connecting Long Xuyen, this allowed the LRRP unit maximum mobility and gave airpower and 105mm arty the chance to eliminate all VC strongholds south of Saigon.

Used all Thai airstrikes to soften up the Cambodian/Laos infrastructure. It should put serious brakes on the expected NVA/VC offensive.

The VC unit near Danang put up notable resistance squashing 2 ARVN infantry before being routed by a flury of .308 fire from a 3rd ARVN company.

NVA/VC counter attacks were as weak as expected, the damage to infrastructure prevented them from creating an effective schwerpunkt. That being said, it's clear that Dak To and Dak Pham (SP?) are going to be a strong focus for VC, I'll have to get reinforcements there next turn(s).

Observations:
1) Highway system in South creates a severe advantage for the human player on turn 1, not sure how later turns will play.
2) The CVW F-8D building creates F-8D's per the editor, but civilopedia refers to F-8H's.
3) Changed name for T-28D Nomad to T-28D Trojan to match historical name.
4) Newport News wasn't in the region historically until 1969, IIRC. Can ships appear in ports based on a tech discovery? This would reduce the ARVN's ability to wipe out local VC so early on.

All in all, this is a great scenario, looking forward to what the NVA/VC will have in store as turn 2 unwinds.

Cheers,
Xatokuom

Really looking forward to it :cool: .

I am at the end of T16 and El J was right :eek: . With my AF getting a couple
of jets shot down every turn and VC coming out of the woodwork, things are
getting quite testy :cool: . Although the SV interior is quite secure, the outer
rims are getting attacked from everywhere on every turn. No problems though, knock them into the red and wait a few more turns for my ROK Marines, US Special Forces, USMC and US Army units to be spawned and I
should be able to get some breathing room. I have been able to capture two
NV cities near the DMZ and a couple more in the VC zone West of my border.
Cities are tough, as most have several AA batteries to shoot my bombers down, with a couple of stubborn infantry units if I attack with armor or armor
personnel carriers :spear: . Having a blast, more news later on. :ar15:

SV Colonel Turn 1 - Redux:
Having heard the cry of battle, ARVN and US decide to crank up the action in SE Asia a notch. The end results were all VC outposts within SV territory save for bunkers and a single VC Inf up near Khe Sanh were eliminated. All this at the cost of 3 ARVN Infantry! Not too shabby.

Highlights:
USS Boston and Newport News were each able to wipe out VC's entrenched near Hoi An and Vung Tau with their heavy 203mm shells.

USS Canberra destroyed the highway line within NV space from Ben Hai into SV.

Combat engineers extended highway in SV towards Ca Mu and connecting Long Xuyen, this allowed the LRRP unit maximum mobility and gave airpower and 105mm arty the chance to eliminate all VC strongholds south of Saigon.

Used all Thai airstrikes to soften up the Cambodian/Laos infrastructure. It should put serious brakes on the expected NVA/VC offensive.

The VC unit near Danang put up notable resistance squashing 2 ARVN infantry before being routed by a flury of .308 fire from a 3rd ARVN company.

NVA/VC counter attacks were as weak as expected, the damage to infrastructure prevented them from creating an effective schwerpunkt. That being said, it's clear that Dak To and Dak Pham (SP?) are going to be a strong focus for VC, I'll have to get reinforcements there next turn(s).

Observations:
1) Highway system in South creates a severe advantage for the human player on turn 1, not sure how later turns will play.
2) The CVW F-8D building creates F-8D's per the editor, but civilopedia refers to F-8H's.
3) Changed name for T-28D Nomad to T-28D Trojan to match historical name.
4) Newport News wasn't in the region historically until 1969, IIRC. Can ships appear in ports based on a tech discovery? This would reduce the ARVN's ability to wipe out local VC so early on.

All in all, this is a great scenario, looking forward to what the NVA/VC will have in store as turn 2 unwinds.

Cheers,
Xatokuom
Your in for a surprise later on the first 5 turns not a lot going on .after this action picks up alot and one thing ive noticed in this scenario when you capture a city AI gets very aggressive.:crazyeye:

Your in for a surprise later on the first 5 turns not a lot going on .after this action picks up alot and one thing ive noticed in this scenario when you capture a city AI gets very aggressive.:crazyeye:

Ha, maybe that is why they opened the VC floodgates against me. I've captured about 5 cities overall from the enemy. Soon I will have to start
building some planes to make up for the ones shot down. North and South of Pleiku has turned
into a real hornets nest. I can hardly wait
for wk 18 to get some Airborne troops and some more Marines :cool: .

Ha, maybe that is why they opened the VC floodgates against me. I've captured about 5 cities overall from the enemy. Soon I will have to start
building some planes to make up for the ones shot down. North and South of Pleiku has turned
into a real hornets nest. I can hardly wait
for wk 18 to get some Airborne troops and some more Marines :cool: .
Im playing North Vietnam in my game and i have been trying to crack Pleiko forever in my game it seems. there putting up a good fight there.but im stubborn so i will keep trying even though i dont seem to be getting anywhere.:lol:

SV Colonel Turn 2:
Spent the turn consolidating my outer cities and wiping out any VC units that penetrated. Lost a Skyraider not realizing that NVA had moved Mig-17/19's into the region. Happy to see that happen! Knocked out a few of their fighters afterwards with the F-4J and F-4B's.

Highlights:
LRRP circumnavigated ARVN territory again allowing me to use only my ARVN infantry and GB's to eliminate key units.

Wiped out remaining road infrastructure in Laos/Cambodia with Thai-based airforce.

Eliminated VC bunker near Khe Sanh using the Patton tank after heavy allied bombing.

Repositioned forces in Saigon and Pleiku for offensive action next turn.

Extended highway to Rach Gla allowing full mobility in the South. Will extend Hwy in the North on next turns.

Tally ho!
Xatokuom

SV Colonel Turn 3:
Spent the turn further consolidating my outer cities and wiping out any VC units that penetrated. Not much activity, killed 4 VC at Pleiku and Buon Thu Muat at no loss to me.

NVA activity from the north non-existant. Making me a little worried, will shuffle units north to Khe Sanh area.

Highlights:
Defended and counter attacked at Pleiku and Buon Thu Muat, fended off attacks near Khe Sanh, no ARVN losses.

Extended highway to Ha Tien and Tra Vinh

Lost another SkyRaider, apparently the CAP for NVA didn't trigger on against my first flights of F-4B's. : (

Started softening Base Area 615 for impending assault next turn with Thai-based airforce.

Eliminated another VC bunker near Khe Sanh using the USMC Rifle company after heavy allied bombing.

Cheers!
Xatokuom

God dang...I now have to go and install Civ 3 again...every time El Justo every time ;)

Anyways I have been waiting for this to be done for quite some time...I think I will play test it this weekend if I can get back from my family get together

God dang...I now have to go and install Civ 3 again...every time El Justo every time ;)

Anyways I have been waiting for this to be done for quite some time...I think I will play test it this weekend if I can get back from my family get together

You will enjoy it for sure, just make sure you have about 4 hours to spare :mischief: . It's a sure-fire 'just one more turn' kind of game.
Last night I was sunk into it from about 630pm until 115am :crazyeye: .
Happy Hunting.

Awesome work! :goodjob:

Don't you plan a scenario set in the modern (post Cold war) world? I kinda like your previous works and if there is someone who could make it realistic while enjoyable, it's you :)

El Justo, you are uno perfecto mucho macho man!!! :lol:

Just to give you some feedback on your newest piece of handsome art, I'm on the 49th turn as SV, and slowly but very laborously advancing.. They are attacking, but I'm wasting'em, trapping'em devilishly and later conquering of course, when I feel ready for it! I make sure every one is happy all the time though.. Hey, I don't really want war; you got me into this!!

I'm constanly building civilization -no democracy intended, just infrastructure!- on the fortunate Southern Vietnam!.. Soon there'll be highways all over- what am I doing, I won't be re-elected!- the SV. I make sure every city I conquer surely advances as time and funds allow, just as I promised to my non-voters! Pretty soon heaven will be every where, if only they trust me all the time!!

I won't telll any stories on how I advance, but I got the records! Also I'm too lazy and who needs'em any way? I'm adding some screen shots from my 49th turn on borders, etc., just in case it might be of help for someone's analysis of this great new piece!? May, be who knows? I'm just a good guy!

I'm playing at two levels below the hardest, and forgot what it was called.

Air power is immensely usefull and brutal, along with navals of course.. That navy is powerfull man, I mean powerfull! I'm advancing just as I expect; not in a hurry, while making sure of development and cash built-up...

I get the feeling, I'll be too powerfull, if not totally overwhelming before the 100th. turn... I know I can advance much faster, if i recruit more, but I don't unless I feel I have to.. Who'll stop me any way?!?

Good job men, I mean all of you in the project.. :goodjob: :king:

Attachments

• North.jpg
    North.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 315
  • East.jpg
    East.jpg
    287 KB · Views: 345
  • SouthCenter.jpg
    SouthCenter.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 289
  • NorthCent.jpg
    NorthCent.jpg
    273.9 KB · Views: 286
I've downloaded the 2 files, that you have to download to play this scenario, and I have extracted them to Civilization III/Conquests/Scenarios when I go to to Civ-content, there isn't any link to play this scenario. Does someone know, what I have to do....
Sorry for my poor english: I'm not from an english speaking country...
Thank you

there isn't any link to play this scenario. Does someone know, what I have to do....
Check the directory to see if the vietnam biq file is in the scenario folder my friend. I can't think of any other reason, if it is not listed in the options.. You might have copied it to some other directory accidentally..

El Justo, my modding perfecto man::king:

I got a simple tech question that I am too lazy to make sure of myself! Hey, playing it takes enough time already.

Some fighter/bomber planes are simply too bad at targeting, and hence miss almost all the time especially in jungle, mountains, etc., which makes sense, but still, I noticed F48 for example is just not ment to bomb. Now, I know this sounds silly militarily speaking etc., but just woındering which parameters are actually the main (or sole?) determinants of bombing efficiency?

Those propellor AIJs are just too good, while A4-C are also pretty good; but F100Ds and F105Ds almost suck compare to them. Is it the rate-of-fire option that makes the real difference? After all, it is quite laborous but disappointing to use each plane to bomb -not so evil as long it is only a game:blush: , and am I gready!?:mischief: - but fail:cry: , say 50% of the time.. Just curious my friend..:)

I got another question on plane bombings, if someone would answer kindly.

I noticed no indication of success or failure is posted after some bombing raids. I mean no "hit the target" or "missed it man" sort of notice.. I see the animation running fine, but without any change or sign afterwards. Where would be the coding component for such result, or is something missing somehow?

Thank you..

I noticed no indication of success or failure is posted after some bombing raids. I mean no "hit the target" or "missed it man" sort of notice.. I see the animation running fine, but without any change or sign afterwards. Where would be the coding component for such result, or is something missing somehow?

Thank you..

Hi Orhan,

The bombing efficiency is based on 2 offensive factors and a couple of defensive factors, IIRC.

On offense, the key is high bombard rate and a high ROF. The higher the bombard rate, the more likely to hit, while ROF gives you more chances.

On the defensive front, terrain and enemy defense factor play key roles. If you bomb a unit dug into a mountainside, make sure you're using a high ROF/Bombard unit. Also, if this unit is fortified, it'll make that unit that much more to difficult to hit.

I believe another factor is unit health, if below the "green" levels, you're more likely to score hits.

Hope this helped.

Cheers,
Xatokuom

Thank you..

Hi Orhan,

The bombing efficiency is based on 2 offensive factors and a couple of defensive factors, IIRC.

On offense, the key is high bombard rate and a high ROF. The higher the bombard rate, the more likely to hit, while ROF gives you more chances.

On the defensive front, terrain and enemy defense factor play key roles. If you bomb a unit dug into a mountainside, make sure you're using a high ROF/Bombard unit. Also, if this unit is fortified, it'll make the difficulty to score a hit that much harder.

Hope this helped.

Cheers,
Xatokuom

Thank you..

The same thing happened to me. What i did was move the planes to another city/base that solved my problem. BTW i've only seen the effect in planes based in two of the thai air-bases.

Top Bottom