Scientific Anarchy: A Random Tech Adventure

The Aztecs, militaristic? Never! We'd trust them against the Maya, we'd trust them at peace, we'd even trust an Aztec with nukes.

:mischief:

Okay, maybe not with nukes. But we definitely trust Montezuma more than Pachacuti in this game. Montezuma has been good so far. The Sapa-Inca has been asking for trouble, and now we don't have anything else distracting us... :trouble:

Quint my man, where is today's update? :'(

Just logged on to post it! Still have 3.5 hours in my time zone. It's the biggest sports day of the year in my city, so I've been out rooting for the home team, who convincingly won!

Part Seventeen - Retaking the Mayan Cities

The Inca start building Magellan's Voyage in 1390, right after the Maya are destroyed. Apparently they really don't fear the reaper yet. We'll have to change that.

But first, we need to secure our northern front. The one thing that really would put us in a bit of hurt is the Inca signing the Aztecs against us, and Montezuma is annoyed that he is no longer receiving Silks from us. So to ensure we aren't suddenly defending on two fronts and forced back to The Wall - which would be a real concern without Iron - we renew our alliance with them.

I don't even expect the Aztecs to contribute a whole lot - and don't especially want them to - but until Iron is re-secured, we can't afford a two-front war.

So now the question is, how best to establish momentum against the Inca? I have a large-ish force in Palenque, and a smaller one (but including an army) in Chichen Itza, as well as a lot of Pikemen by the wall. Although I consider sending a force to Tikal to retake cities, and another to try to take Vilcabamba, in the end I decide my forces would be too spread out - and instead split my Mayan forces as evenly as possible between Chichen Itza and Palenque, defending against Incan advances, while sending out Pikemen and Workers to build Roads to Quirigua, to allow my seven Knights to enter the fray.

The Inca, on their turn, do not attack the Pikemen and Workers as expected, but move towards Chichen Itza and Aztec territory to the north. This will work in my favor.

Engineering finishes in 1395, allowing bridges, which will help.

I ask the trusty TI-83+ for research advice, and Astronomy is its answer to our problems. Necessity, it seems, is not the mother of Invention.

I upgrade 10 Catapults (including two captured from the Maya) to Trebuchets in 1395, but otherwise wait to let the Inca come to me. Instead, they actually bypass Chichen Itza.

At this point the Aztecs start attacking them, defeating three Horsemen this turn. This is going most excellently - they are moving troops farther and farther away from the cities they took, while the Aztecs are taking care of some of the dirty work.

And now, we're halfway, turn-wise. 1400 AD is turn 270. How are things looking?

The Iroquois are bigger, but we've closed the population gap considerably. Our culture is also looking more respectable, and our power is growing.

We're second place in score, but the Iroquois have a much better-looking Power graph of late. Still, our progress over the centuries is clear.

Although the Iroquois have more culture overall, the Inca impressively have three of the top 5 cities, and that doesn't even include their Copernicus city. They must have thought they were playing Civ4 and needed three cities with legendary culture to win! My demographics are also in a great place - 3rd or 4th is so much better than in the early game. If it weren't for our lack of strategic resources, we'd be in a pretty good place.

Back on the field of battle, it will take one more turn to bring my Knights into place, so I pass my turn for now, and let the Inca move again.

They send a few troops towards Tikal this time, but most of their focus is on the Aztecs.

Quite a few troops are in the northern mountains by now. They do pull one fast one, however.

Yeah, that's some under-defended land! No one ever tried to land troops before, though. I decide to deal with it by building a couple Galleys, and sending in offensive Spearmen.

The third one wins. Once I have Iron again, this area will be getting a few more Pikemen.

My road is finished in 1405, though due to partial movement points on one unit, my Knights fail to make it as far as I expected :mad:. I destroy three Horsemen by Chichen Itza, however, and one Knight and one Medieval Infantry reach the gates of Quirigua - the Inca are likely realizing their strategic mistakes right about now.

They are! But they refuse to hand over the cities. You know what that means - time for some real battles.

Well, maybe not. They continue focusing on the Aztecs, and move troops away from Quirigua. Perhaps the bulk of my Knights not arriving meant they didn't understand how much trouble they were truly in. And with the Aztecs getting a leader, Itzcoatl, in battle against them in 1407, their troubles will only worsen.

So I decide to get serious in 1410. I move fifteen units from Palenque to Tikal, as between the Inca moving north and the Aztec troops nearby, Palenque is no longer in danger. The troops in Chichen Itza stay for now, but I start chipping away at Quirigua.

Unfortunately, our Knight loses, but the Medieval Infantry wins. And they are left with a lone Regular Archer to defend. This is too good of an opportunity to pass up, and thus I send an Elite Pikeman to finish him off.

I lose two Pikes to take out an Archer, and give up when I lose to the remaining redlined Spearman. My Knights will take the city next turn. But the Inca should realize they are in trouble now.

Strangely, the keep moving north anyway, though they do completely cut off Tikal by road. All I can figure is they are trying to take the Aztec source of Iron, but Orhan finds no evidence for this.

Oh well. I take Quirigua in 1415, though it takes 4 Knights to defeat 2 Spearmen.

Three Archers and a Spearman outside of cities are also destroyed, and the first defender in Piedras Negras defeated. The Palenque forces reach Tikal, and Chichen Itza's forces are given the go-ahead to move to Palenque, with the Aztec forces nearby deemed sufficient defence. The Inca offensive is all of a sudden cut off from their homeland.

I also have a surprise ready for Vilcabamba.

I've been upgrading Warriors in Karabuk, and three are now hankering for some combat. If all goes well, we could control the city next turn.

The Inca now seem to be in disarray. Some troops advance; some retreat, some Archers attack Swordsmen on mountains; some Spearmen attack Medieval Infantry.

I do lose the Medieval Infantry (after it defeats an Archer and a Spearman), but am pleased by the chaos that has been sowed, and that the Inca kept moving forward long enough that now they are stuck in the middle of nowhere, and the middle of everywhere, with no plan of how to reassemble a coherent front.

Taking Piedras Negras is my first priority in 1420, and we do that quickly, restoring Gems to our empire.

Next, I take a stab at Vilcabamba.

Two Spearmen fall, but a Veteran-turned-Elite defeats my last Medieval Infantry. The reprieve won't last long, however; my Knights alternate between healing and clearing the land, and my Chichen Itza troops near the front, eager to turn the tide.

It's at this point that the Inca appear to finally realize that we are a greater threat than the Aztecs. It certainly took long enough - but those Silks that we are giving Montezuma were worth it!

I continue to attack Vilcabamba in 1425.

Seven hitpoints of Medieval Infantry is enough to defeat 12 hitpoints of Spearmen, and the city is ours! This is an important city, as thanks to a road through Iroquois land (and connections through Aztec territory and by sea), it means we once more have Iron.

Our Right of Passage with the Iroquois also means we have a good route with which to send Knights to the front. This is when the tide has truly turned.

Last edited:
Thanks for the story...:thumbsup:

P.S.: For those of us who don't have the gpt for a TI-83+, there is random.org :)

Part Eighteen - Taking Inca Proper

With Vilcabamba taken, it is time to go on the offensive. Orhan's Army is the first on the Iroquois roads, and he starts taking down Horseman reinforcements near Chuquiapo - which is the first city we've seen defended by Musketmen.

The Inca, notably, have not sent any Longbows at us, and did not try for Leonardo's Workshop, which the Zulu completed. So hopefully, they will not be building Muskets anytime soon.

Both the main Palenque army and the main Chichen Itza one reach the Iroquois roads this turn as well, meaning the doom of the Inca is quickly approaching. And to add more certainty to that, we get another Great Leader when defeating an Incan Archer.

Murad II is sent to Tikal to build a Knight Army, which will be essentially invincible against the Inca.

The Inca have little response - sending their trapped troops towards Chichen Itza slowly, but also being bled away by the Aztecs. I, however, have enough troops to do something, and plan a two-pronged attack against their homeland.

Each stack has 3-4 Medieval Infantry, and plenty of trebuchets/catapults and Pikemen. They'll be supplemented by Knights as those reach the front - and in one turn, Tikal will be connected by a road to the southeast, speeding that up even more.

The next turn or two are positioning turns, but by 1440 we have armies by both Corihuayrachina and Atico.

We also sent Murad against some units to the north.

The stack on the mountain has 4 Spearmen and 4 Archers, and is the last of the sizeable Incan stacks in the north. Once it's defeated, everything will be focused in the south.

Except for one annoying Galley up north.

It is sunk, and we'll defeat the Archers it landed soon. At least they aren't Horsemen.

The Inca continue to fight the Aztecs in 1442, and spawn, but then lose, a Leader.

They also begin building Smith's Trading Company. They certainly are advanced on the upper part of the tech tree, but I don't know why they think this is a good idea. Maybe I'll let them complete it for me and thus not conquer them completely? Or maybe they think they chose a safe enough city to build it in.

That is a city I'd have to make a real effort to conquer! But it will also take forever to finish the wonder!

Atico is the first city I aim to take in 1445. Bombardment is somewhat successful, and Medieval Infantry attack.

Three Medieval Infantry win, and that's enough to take it. Corihuayrachina is next.

We are not quite as successful there, but the Knights I sent in help to turn the tide, and the city is ours.

Copernicus's Observatory won't help us that much, but it's good to have the city. And I also realize how much culture the Inca have - Tiwanaku, between the two and a bit south, now dominates the region.

The Inca also still have an annoyingly large number of Horsemen - I count seven in the north, after defeating one.

Their source of Horse must be on their island, way down south, as I can't find any locally, and neither the Iroquois nor the Americans have surplus to trade (though the Inca do have a trade of some sort going on with the Iroquois, likely involving Gems, and quite possibly Ivory from the Iroquois).

Two Horsemen make a move in 1447, trying to retake Atico, though failing.

Up north, however, I have a problem in 1450.

Two Archers, insufficient defence. Antalya's Spearman attempts to rectify the situation by going on the offensive, which would free up Iznik's Pikeman to move to Bingol.

No dice. Thus, Bingol will be allowed to fall, with Knights coming north to retake it soon. It really is time to put some proper defensive troops up there, and Bursa is ordered to do so until we have Veteran Pikemen in every city.

But the temporary success of their arctic expedition will be small solace to the Inca now that we are making progress in their homeland, and there's no reason to believe they'll have much luck stopping us now.

Last edited:
Part 19 - The Incan Insurrection

Resuming our tale in 1450, we are at a crossroads. Progress has been made against the Inca, but our forces are spread rather thin, and their Horsemen are inconvenient.

Troops need healing in Corihuayrachina and Atico, Orhan is healing in Vilcabamba, and Murad II is at mid-health in Tikal. The Archer stack is mostly injured, and the Knight stack contains, beyond that first Knight, only a couple Medieval Infantry and Trebs. The home front is split between Knights and Cathedrals - happiness being a limiting factor in our cities' growth.

But just as it limits our military potential, happiness is a reason to continue the war. Look at the Top 5 Cities:

Tiwanaku has the Hanging Gardens, and is the next-nearest city; Cuzco has the Sistine Chapel. Take those two cities, and our happiness problems are solved. Add in Incan dyes, and we're home free.

So our Archer attacks the Horseman, and the other troops by the front take the chance to rest.

Murad, at Tikal, takes out two of the seven nearby Horsemen, while a Knight at Piedras Negras takes a third.

Pikemen fortify the lands northwest of Quirigua against the Incan troops there, while a now-free Elite Knight heads south to defeat one of the remaining Horsemen by Tikal.

And though Bingol is a lost cause in the north, we now feel much better about the south.

Sure enough, Bingol is taken by the Inca in 1452.

But we can't complain too much during the AI turn. The Inca struggle against an Aztec Pikeman by Tikal, and the Aztecs take out many of the northern Incan contingent, who are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

We can complain about the start of our turn, which seems Atico rebel.

This will cost us a couple Medieval Infantry and a couple more Pikemen, but I left my Artillery and some additional Medieval Infantry and Pikes outside, so it will only slow, not devastate, the front. A couple Medieval Infantry just joined from Vilcabamba, too, so we should have little trouble retaking it.

And indeed, that is the first order of business.

Unfortunately, one Super Spearman takes out three Medieval Infantry. :spear: Realizing that the wind now has been taken out of the sails of this front, I order the Trebuchets which I had planned to sent towards Tiwanaku this turn to attack Atico instead, and with their help the city is finally taken. Though ordinarily such rebellion would be insufferable and the field would be sown with salt, keeping Atico will speed up our approach to Cuzco, so we grudgingly keep the city. But we also start training a Settler, just in case.

Still, the western part of the front is healthy, and Orhan is able to rush south, so the danger to Tiwanaku next turn is not eliminated.

The Inca respond with a slew of arrows.

This promotes my Knight, and their doom is only more sealed when the Aztecs decide to bring in another ally.

America lost their initial gains to the Iroquois, but now is an opportune time to join. If they take the mostly-Incan island to the south, they might even help themselves survive against the Iroquois later on.

As 1460 rolls around, we finish research on Astronomy.

This gives us yet another chance to trust our oracles, who degree that we shall research six! Navigation! I am sufficiently pleased with this; sailing the ocean blue will be more interesting than many of the alternatives, and could lead to good trade.

What I am not pleased with is that Corihuayrachina follows Atico's lead in rebelling! :mad:

Wasting no time on Tiwanaku, I send the 2/5 Elite Knight against the Archer to clear the way for my other Knights to retake the city.

These Incans are very fortunate that our people recently learned to appreciate observatories! As well as that the Iroquois would claim the land if I razed the city. But that Settler is being trained!

Tiwanaku will not be spared our rage either, however. My Trebuchets have arrived, and are ordered to do what they can.

This proves to be taking the top hitpoint off of each defender. Mildly satisfied, Orhan begins the attack on the city.

This is followed by two Medieval Infantry and a Knight, leaving only Archers defending - but not quite enough Ottoman troops to defeat them. The rebellion of Corihuayrachina may have prevented us from taking Tiwanaku this turn - but it will need reinforcement.

Up north, by Bingol, one Knight falls and one wins, and that city remains Incan as well.

The Inca have, we have to admit, wore us down a bit with their rebellions. Our number of units has fallen. The regrouped forces in the south are poised to take Tiwanaku, but their numbers are diminished such that taking Cuzco after it would be a stretch, and not possible were another rebellion to occur. Even as their efforts cost them many Horsemen, and the Aztec menace looms in the distance, the Inca have slowed our tide.

But lest they think they are out of the woods until the Aztecs or Americans show up, the army of Murad II, experienced in defeating insurrection in history, marches south, ready to crush another one by this more exotic foe.

Last edited:
Part Twenty - The Push to Cuzco

Undeterred by the prospect of Murad II's arrival, the Inca launch a couple attacks in 1462.

Although the first battle makes us think their military counteroffensives are hopeless and only rebellions could save them, the second one humbles us a bit. Another Horseman, and they may have taken Corihuayrachina.

1465 begins with more news of resistance - but this time, of it ending in Piedras Negras. This surprises me, as it had been a Mayan city, but I see that two citizens had adopted Incan culture, and thus saw fit to resist our just rule.

We appoint Orhan as the main attacker on Tiwanaku in that year, but take care to bombard first.

The city is taken with no additional losses! That Spearman to the southwest was a turn too late! We're also pleased to find that the Hanging Gardens give 6 GPT as a tourist attraction, albeit income that is entirely lost to corruption.

In another good sign, Suleiman the Magnificent emerges as a Great General near Atico.

Though we'd love to have him organize an army at the front, the truth is we don't have enough Knights there, and that if we did an army would likely flip. So instead we send him back to Tikal. Murad, meanwhile, takes out the Archer next to the stack approaching Cuzco.

With the Hanging Gardens, our happiness increases to 64% in 1470. We've also secured two additional sources of Gems by Tiwanaku. Currently, they aren't worth any significant amount of dosh, so we decide instead to share them with our allies.

See, we can be nice! It's also a good way to make sure all the Aztec Medieval Infantry traipsing across our lands towards the Inca have good reason to keep on walking by our Mayan cities peacefully.

I'm also inspired to make a try at Magellan's Voyage, which will be enabled in about 9 turns by Navigation. No one has it so far, and by switching Izmit from the Heroic Epic to Palace, and optimizing it for production, I'll have a good portion of it funded by the time Navigation is researched. Might not get it, but it would be our first chance at a self-built wonder the whole game.

Down at the front, we win a few battles against Archers and Spearmen easily, aided by bombardment, while Suleiman and his new army reach the front and Murad positions himself on the opposite side of Cuzco from where our main force is positioned. The city will be assaulted from both sides at once next turn.

And sure enough, in 1475, we begin the Battle of Cuzco.

After a couple attacks from Murad, enduring counter-attacks from the catapults on Cuzco's walls, and a loss by a Medieval Infantry, we realized we probably don't have enough troops in the area to take the city, though we did bring a good number of siege weapons. We call off the troops for the day, and decide to invest the city in the siege once more, until Suleiman arrives. Otherwise, we fear, either Murad, or our siege weapons, or both would be vulnerable to the Archers nearby.

So instead, we batten down the hatches on our siege camp, have Murad take some high ground, and switch to picking off some nearby Archers while waiting for reinforcements.

It's almost like 1475 BC all over again! Except that we didn't have Archers until a couple millenia after that...

The Inca are feeling pressure on their southern front as well; America takes Nasca in 1478, a city that they had taken many moons ago, but later lost to the Iroquois, only for it to flip back to the Inca. The Americans have also taken Riobamba, the super-remote island city where the Inca had once started Smith's Trading Company.

By 1480, we're ready for a renewed attack on Cuzco, with Suleiman having arrived on the scene, as well as a couple of additional Knights. Our artillery bombardment indicates there are at least six defenders in the city.

Suleiman's attacks reveal the total to be at least eight, of which his army defeats three. A Knight finishes off a fourth, but another Knight loses to one, and we once again conclude that we cannot take the city this turn and call off the assault. A few troops, including Murad, also begin to retreat to heal, although one of our Medieval Infantry embarrasingly loses to an Archer it attacks while retreating. This leads us to call forward one of the newest arrivals to the front lines.

Now that's like 2475 BC all over again! Two additional Warriors are in Atico as well, and their main goal is to help quell unrest - 18 of the 27 residents of Atico, Corihuryachina, and Tiwanaku are resisting, and we need to reduce that to reduce the flip chance.

As our troops reinforce, America continues its progress, taking the large city of Huamanga in 1482.

They will have their share of the glory, then, but so will we, for in 1485 we finally have enough troops to take Cuzco!

Ten defenders and three Catapults fought valiantly to defend it, but in the end the Masoleum - and more importantly, the Sistine Chapel - are ours. Ninety percent of its residents vow to resist our rule, but we are determined to make the city our own, and are pleased to have the Incan capital at last after their treacherous betrayal of our peace treaty.

Last edited:
Very interesting read! May I suggest two small changes that would make it easier for me to look at the screenshots?
a) Activate the grid. Without it, I always have trouble seeing where each unit may go or which tiles are available to what town...
b) Activate the "Show team color disc" flag in the preferences. Sometimes I really have trouble recognizing the nationality of the troops fighting each other...

Very interesting read! May I suggest two small changes that would make it easier for me to look at the screenshots?
a) Activate the grid. Without it, I always have trouble seeing where each unit may go or which tiles are available to what town...
b) Activate the "Show team color disc" flag in the preferences. Sometimes I really have trouble recognizing the nationality of the troops fighting each other...

Glad you're enjoying it! I can indeed do that, but should note that I've currently played until 1635 AD, so the sections until then won't have the grid or team color disc.

Also, this week's section may wind up being Sunday instead of Saturday. Between catching up with people before the holidays this week, and a day's worth of driving on Saturday, I'm a bit behind pace in the screenshot-cropping and editing department.

I also hope you can continue, I just read through the story so far and I'm eagerly anticipating the next chapter.

Part Twenty-One: The Defeat of the Inca

Editor's Note: Over the course of Q4 2018, my efforts on this story petered out, driven in large part by work commitments. However, I did play somewhat beyond 1485, and have kept all the related files. Now, with a bit more time and a need for something fun, time-consuming, and different from my other hobbies, it seems like a good time to resume the story, editing and posting what I have, and hopefully playing on to the story's logical conclusion. I hope some others find this a welcome distraction as well!

Cuzco is not the only city we attack in 1485; to the north, there is another city.

Bingol! Its residents, by comparison, are quite pleased by our entry, and our northern front is once again entirely under our control.

1488, alas, is not a good year. We do see our first American-Incan combat in many years, with Lincoln trying to defeat a Spearman who sabotaged some of our (formerly Incan) gems.

But worse than the Horseman's defeat is a culture-flip.

:mad: The Gem cut-off alone already caused a couple cities to riot, and now the Incan cities are revolting again as well.

Being tired of these never-ending revolts, I decide to take an action that is generally ill-advised, and trust Montezuma by moving all but one defender out of the formerly-Mayan cities, while huge numbers of Aztec troops are traipsing by.

It's true, we would have a major problem even with higher numbers of defenders if they betrayed us, but moving all our spare Pikemen south means an Aztec betrayal would be a disaster. Still, they've been reliable allies all game, and already have a Right of Passage, so we decide to overlook their general reputation and put faith in their behavior so far in this game.

We manage to send a Knight to the gates of Corihuayrachina in 1490, but are otherwise unable to launch offensive actions there. Orhan, however, is healed and launched the first attack on Vilcas.

Two Medieval Infantry and several Catapults and Trebuchets will be ready there next turn, as we seek to take more cities and reduce the Incan cultural presence in the area. Defeating the civ with the highest culture, we've found, is not easy!

1495 begins exactly as I want it to - with the recapture of Corihuayrachina.

I reluctantly keep the city for its wonder, though the temptation to raze it is growing. Atico, should it revolt, will not be so lucky - I have a Settler on the next hill over from its main tile ready to build a replacement city.

It's a good thing we had our Knight near Corihuayrachina, too - America has a Knight two tiles south that would have been happy to claim the city. Not that we could have blamed America, and it's good to see they also have Knights, but we've worked hard to take this city, and more than once!

We attack several other cities as well. Ollantaytambo is first.

It loses two defenders, but I decide against risking Suleiman's 4/13 army to finish it off. Murad defeats one of those defenders from due south of the city, and will surely take it next turn.

Juli is second, and is where the bulk of the artillery near Cuzco went after that siege.

The artillery proved to be overkill, and two Knights suffice to take it. This also will deprive Ollantaytambo of its dyes - and allow us to claim them in the near future.

Finally, we attack Vilcas.

The artillery there is adequate, and the Inca are down to two cities on the continent. We plan to make Ollantaytambo ours in a couple turns, whereas Chuito, to the south, we'll leave to America. It's quite possible they are near it already, and it's both out in the boondocks relative to the Incan core which we've mostly taken, and a relatively low-value city.

So when we take Ollantaytambo easily in 1500, it marks the end of a long stretch of war against the Inca and Maya dating back 340 years. The Inca were dogged contestants in the battle for continental supremacy, despite their lack of Iron and to the point of breaking deals when necessary. It's worth taking a look at the view of their original cities from 50,000 feet, to see who controls them now.

All the areas to the right of the pink line were originally Incan. We have the most cities, at 8, but the Iroquois have 6, albeit some of those taken from America, who originally took them from the Inca. America will wind up with three cities. And it really did take four nations to halt and then bring down the Inca, including the Aztecs who fought significant numbers of their troops in the north, even if they did not reach Incan lands in time to partake in the spoils.

Down on the Incan island, America is also making progress.

Caxamaica was taken recently; Huanaco Pampa is believed to be the new Incan capital and will be the toughest city to take, being on a hill. But it is only a matter of time until the Inca are defeated there as well.

We don't make peace with the Inca quite yet - there are still plenty of resisting citizens who may break out in revolt - though thankfully we've finally quelled the resistance in Atico and Juli. But the war is all but over.

Last edited:
A Quintillus Story update? Great joy is upon us once again! :thanx:

Eagerly looking forward to you being able to do more stuff in this!

Part Twenty-Two: The Age of Exploration

With the Incan war all but over, it's time to look at the bigger picture once more, and see how we are doing. The Victory Status Screen provides a good overview.

In addition, the Power, Culture, and Demographics charts are worth a look.

Finally, a look at the map:

We are doing pretty well, and are clearly ascendant. But the Iroquois are still, in many respects, slightly ahead of us, including in technology. The undiscovered Zulu are ahead, as well, but since we can't do anything about that, we'll ignore them for now.

The Iroquois have Musketmen, and have bested our predecessor as the second-most-powerful civ on the continent - America - in an extended war. Their cities are developed, and the few that are below size 7 benefit from the Great Wall. Our one key advantage over them is diplomatically - Lincoln and Montezuma are both gracious towards us, and the Iroquois themselves are Polite. If the Diplomatic vote were coming up on our continent, we'd be in a good position.

Still, over the long term, we aren't sure that sitting back peacefully will work - the Zulu or Iroquois may win by Space Race, or may be more diplomatically favored once the other continent is factored in.

But we also aren't ready for war with the Iroquois right now. Our Mayan-Iroquois frontier is poorly defended, with our Pikemen heading south. Twenty Incan citizens are resisting, meaning we must devote troops to avoiding revolts. And if we were to fight the Iroquois by ourselves, it would be a slugfest with high costs for both sides, and victory would not be assured. We would need at least one of America or the Aztecs to help us in order to have a good chance of victory, and for now they are still pursuing the Inca.

Thus the Ottoman Empire will have a period of de facto peace, and while we will keep building Knights - we currently have 17, and our unit total is at 111, out of 120 supported - we also switch several additional cities to building libraries, cathedrals, and other civilian buildings.

We manage to squealch the resistance in Corihuayrachina by 1505, although the civil disorder in Tiwanaku intensifies. We also build a new university in Urfa. This increases science by 2, while also increasing maintenance by 2 - illustrative of our core economic challenge. Corruption is at 28% - not too bad considering our recent expansion - but almost 40% of our post-corruption income is going to building maintenance. We hope that as our core cities, many still in the 7-to-9 size range, grow, this problem will be lessened.

Navigation finishes up in 1510.

We will begin sending out Caravels right away, as well as working on Magellan's Voyage, but first we ask the Slide-Rule of Success for guidance, and it tasks us with researching tech three - the Printing Press! Though we'd hoped for something like Banking, communication trading could become lucrative in the not-too-distant future.

Our first Caravel of Exploration starts out due east from the northern city of Kafa.

It will soon head southeast, charting a course across the largest patch of unknown map, and almost surely finding the other continent. What will be there, nobody knows.

By 1515, America has conquered Chuito, the last Incan city on the mainland - until a revolt happens!

Huamanga revolts from America! I have quelled my resistance the same turn, and move all three of my Armies towards Huamanga, to take it should America not act to do so quickly.

We find another civilization more quickly than anticipated, before even turning southeast.

We buy the Persian territory map for 120 gold, and find that they have a vast land area, including many formerly Hittite territories.

Armed with this knowledge, I direct my Caravel south to meet their neighbors; another will be ready in a few turns to go to the eastern part of the continent.

Team America shows up at Huamanga in 1520, clearly intent on retaking the city.

We decide that the best course of action is to help our allies, but not to seize the city ourselves. Thus Orhan takes out the best defender, and leaves the remaining one for the Americans. Lincoln is gracious and will be a great help should war with the Iroquois occur; much better that his wrath be directed towards the Inca than towards us.

Speaking of the Iroquois, Hiawatha contacts us in 1522.

Well how about that! We exist because the Iroquois allow us to exist! And the same must surely be true of the Americans and Aztecs, by that logic?

We tell Hiawatha to come and make a map of our territory if he wants one. And in response...

We earn respect!

We fare less well againt the Inca in 1522.

Three Catapults and a few Trebuchets are lost. I'd intentionally left them outside the city to help in the event that it flipped, but forgot there was still one Spearman running around, and that he could use the roads by Huamanga. The Spearman is defeated by the Aztecs shortly after that, and Montezuma takes possession of the Catapults (the Trebuchets having been destroyed by the Engineering-less Inca), but the next turn I make a point of guarding my remaining 10 artillery pieces.

The following turn, Persia informs of us their glorious military conquests.

We will never meet the Hittites, but find it quite interesting that Persia has been actively campaigning. The other continent is also a place of war, and with six of the ten civilizations on our continent, we wonder if there are three strong civilizations on the other continent, or only two.

With the last Incan troops defeated on the mainland, the Aztecs start returning home, a process that will take many turns. The Inca are not finished, however; they have regained Caxamaica on the island where they are battling America.

The next decade proceeds uneventfully, but in 1540 we discover Mongolia. We can already trade by sea, so I decide to make friends and give them Silks in exchange for their World Map. Their knowledge is not great, but it does give us a broad picture of their continent.

Mongolia got the short end of the stick with starting location - some steppe, but more Jungle and Mountain. Perhaps not as short of a stick as the mostly-tundra start of the Hittites, but not a very good draw. I decide to establish an Embassy with them to gain more knowledge.

As I suspected, Karakorum is a relatively poor city. They appear to have only recently started building Pikemen, and the Horseman instead of a Keshik does not bode well. They'd best maintain good relations with both the expansive Persia Empire and the Zulu to their south - not an easy task!

The Printing Press is invented in 1550, a hundred years behind schedule. This will give us the ability to fully connect the world - not a bad thing, as we know Persia is already sending ships out across seas, and perhaps across oceans. We ask the TI-83 what to research next, from a limited slate of choices.

This time it answers that we should research Invention, despite the lack of any necessity for it at this time.

The Mayan cities are starting to develop by now, and in Palenque, a Courthouse is built. Corruption proves to be moderate in this area of our empire - not enough to go all-scientists-and-taxmen, but not great.

Right around 50%. In a wealthy city such as Palenque, development is justified; in poorer cities it may not be. But by the mid-1600s, I expect the Mayan core to be more or less productive.

We also finish Magellan's Voyage in 1550, the first Wonder of the World we have built ourselves.

Unexpectedly, this triggers our Golden Age.

I'm not sure how this happened; Magellan's Voyage is Commercial, Expansionist, and Seafaring, whereas we are Scientific and Industrious. Perhaps it's because we have captured Scientific and Industrious wonders, even though we did not build them? The Civilopedia states that a civilization must build wonders corresponding to both of its traits, but in practice it appears that whether existing wonders were actually built by the civ that owns them is not enforced.

Nonetheless, this is not a bad time for a Golden Age. We are immediately propelled into the top spots for both GNP and Manufacturing as a result.

We'll also be able to 4-turn Invention while running a surplus of over 100 GPT. The Mayan core's development will be accelerated, and our coastal cities that are struggling to build Cathedrals and Marketplaces will get a shot in the arm. It may be just what we need to propel us to the next stage of development.

Last edited:
Mystery Golden Ages!

Looks like the Persians must have already had some Caravels going along from that map, they look like they've settled a few islands (at least I assume those are islands) that don't look close to their territory.

And wow, the Zulu are all the way to New Ibabanago in their city list? That would mean they've settled something like, 30 cities!

It's true that if you have captured wonders that match your traits, and build any wonder, you get your golden age.

Top Bottom