[NFP] September Update Video Discussion

Not the same orientation nor size nor anything. It's not an Entertainment Complex. It's an Industrial Zone.

Indeed the workshop slot is a bit small, (but the actual building fits), and the factory and power plant slots are there...

Another cool-sounding game mode brought down by poor design decisions.

The more powerful effects of Dark and Golden ages are good, but when it's at the cost of losing dedications, Normal and Heroic ages, it's just never gonna be played. It's a more binary and less interesting mode as a result.

They should have just boosted the effects of each age type and otherwise kept it the same.

I don't think the dedications are lost - they just became policy cards. The downside being you have to use a wildcards slot, the plus side you can switch between dedications more easily.

The removal of normal ages I think is intentional to make this more of a 'swinging' game mode than a win more one. I.e. it's (hopefully) intentionally not for people who will restart as soon as they lose a city.

Georgia's bonus wildcard slot during golden ages should just be added to the base game mode. Great idea imho.

Highlands sounds fun, but god knows what's gonna happen to Kupe on it.

I prefer Gaul over Portugal so I'm happy with that choice. Theodora or Irene of Athens for leader of Byzantium? Neither fit a 'military and religious' conquest Byzantium that strongly imho - wonder if our assumptions of a female-led Byzantium are incorrect? Maybe a female led Iroquis is coming down the line.

The more powerful effects of Dark and Golden ages are good, but when it's at the cost of losing dedications, Normal and Heroic ages, it's just never gonna be played. It's a more binary and less interesting mode as a result.

Judging from the video I don't think we are losing dedications, the Golden Age dedications are in the form of unique wild cards now.

We do lost Normal and Heroic Ages and I personally don't mind that.

Just realized that I though adding Byzantium to the map was hard ... I hadn't thought of Gaul, oh boy.

IMPORTANT: GAULS' UNIQUE DISTRICT IS DEFINITELY AN INDUSTRIAL ZONE REPLACEMENT

Exhibit:
View attachment 569135

It's an habit for Unique Districts to still have the same building slots for them (except Phoenicia's Cothon, but Mali's Suguba follows this rule). And look how familiar the slot of Gauls'UD are similar to those on a regular Industrial Zone. The most flagrant is the slot for the Powerplant.

So an IZ replacement that can defend itself and might produce additional culture? Dunno, but it's definitely an IZ.

Since Gauls were historically famous for their iron-working techs and their forts, a fort-like IZ seems adequate and very likely the case.

I'd resigned myself to Portugal (sorry Portugal) and some new culture but Byzantium and Gaul are both fantastic I love playing older cultures that don't exist in a recognisable form today.

So they brought back 'the Celts' after all, as a Gallic civ seemingly led by Vercingetorix or Brennus. Further cementing the fan-service nature of this trickle of DLC by bringing back two older civs. Surely two of the final three have to be Babylon and Portugal, which seem the highest-profile of the still-missing civs - I stopped following the thread a while back so is there a consensus on the other likely civ? It could still be a new but requested civ like Vietnam.

Having the Statue of Zeus back finally pleases the completist in me for all that it's rarely been useful in past Civ games. Biosphere is a bit of an odd choice - do we need more late-game Wonders?

The new game mode seems to have been more thoroughly designed as a new way to play the game than the others - but why does a civ necessarily have to enter either a golden or a dark age every era?

Another cool-sounding game mode brought down by poor design decisions.

They should have just boosted the effects of each age type and otherwise kept it the same.
Yeah, that would have been my hope as well, but overall that's not surprising at this point. By opting to go with these "new game modes" rather than just an actual workthrough of the game in an expansion, they sort of have to make them extreme. The only thing I hope for is that with time, modding features like Secret Societies and Dramatic Ages into something more balanced will make them less extreme. Personally I love the idea that dark ages really hurt and that additional era score is not wasted (and I'll certainly not cry to see heroic ages completely gone), but only in the context where normal ages are still there.

They're actually old ideas that were cut do to play testing/QA. Now I realize why they weren't in the game in the first place.

According to Anton the QA team thought the initial full-on Dark Age is far too harsh and should be removed.

IMHO that simply means there a lot of casual players who are having a hard time even in the lower difficulties, to the point which the devs removed some penalties during the design process. Kind of explains that why Civ 6 is being considered as "too easy" by a lot of old players.

Someone mentioned Basil II being the leader of Byzantines because of his militarism. And after looking at the fuzzed out image and the way Basil II is often depicted, I concur.

Basil is a very likely candidate.

As someone whose number one complaint about the era system was Dark Ages not feeling dark enough, this sounds awesome. I hear the complaints about losing dedications and Normal Ages, but I'm willing to give it a go at least.

also hyped for Byzantium (finally!) and Gaul, even if it means there's zero chance of Italy now. I still think odds are good that the final three are Vietnam, Portugal and Babylon.

So. That happened.
  • New Civs look exciting. Gaul is a great surprise.
  • Wonders are cool. Maybe Zeus means Anti-Cav will get a buff?
  • New Game Mode looks awesome. More challenging Dark Ages was never something I was looking for, but definitely cool to see and could be really fun. Overflow mechanic for Era Score is great. Could be a really fun game mode.

• But the Game Mode also seems to have some really bad design choices. Getting rid of Dedications and Normal Ages is silly, and is gong to make the game mode really silly and too binary. Golden Age cards just means you don’t have to make any hard decisions in a Golden Age, which makes those even less interesting. So, yeah, not sure I’ll actually play with this much.
  • Georgia rework is bizarre. Either just rework Georgia for the base game, or rework multiple Civs for the Game Mode. Reworking one Civ for one Game Mode only honestly just feels like trolling, particularly when it’s Georgia a Civ many people keep asking to be buffed. I mean, it’s not trolling, it’s just a design choice. But just seems totally bizarre.
So, yeah. Looks fine.

Really wish we had just got a Third Expansion. But I guess the DLC looks fine.

Last edited:
So in civ6 we can have:
- Rome and Byzantium
- Ottomans and Byzantium
- Greece and Macedon and Byzantium
- Gauls and France

We cannot have:
- Renaissance Italy and Rome

Well, RIP.

At least this DLC sounds very good and the mode is interesting+historical, much better compared to the first two.

Last edited:
Someone mentioned Basil II being the leader of Byzantines because of his militarism. And after looking at the fuzzed out image and the way Basil II is often depicted, I concur.

Basil is a very likely candidate.
He can also get a LUU in the Varangian Guard.

Top Bottom