Should the U.S adopt the Metric system completely and why?

Xanikk999

History junkie
For my 10,000th post i have decided to start another thread for old times sake.
Something i dont ever remember reading about on these boards.

So my question to you forumgoers is should the U.S who is currently one of the less than a handful of countries who havent followed the rest of the worlds lead adopt the metric system completely and why? You can describe how also if you want.

I say completely because the metric system is already used almost exclusively in the military and scientific fields here. It is also used in international fields that regularly deal with other countries.

I can think of several reasons why the U.S hasnt adopted it yet completely. Il list a few.

1. Well i'll be honest one reason the U.S doesn't like to be told to follow international standards or other peoples laws. This is just a minor reason but i very much doubt some traditionalists will allow the metric system to be put into place and certain people in congress would vote against any such measure out of national pride, which leads me to my other point.

2. Many people in the U.S don't like to be told to do something by the government. Crazy i know but some people would prefer to live out in the stix under their own law and never have to interact with the government. At the same time they dont want to pay more taxes BUT still want the government to provide public education, police, and social security but oh no we cant raise taxes to keep those things in place! So thats why you see the state of some services in some states deterorating because the federal government refuses to impose new taxes and leave it up to states to fend for themselves on some things. Poorer states like Mississipi suffer especially from this.
Im getting off topic though so il stop there.

3. The most important reason however is that people dont want to change to something that will be hard, costly, and require a complete restructuring of signs, billboards, and other things. Not to mention people will have to get used to learning and remembering metric units. Oh lets not forget people who are born using the U.S/imperial system of measurement will not be able to have a feel of a quantity of something in their mind for something in metric. They teach the metric system in public schools still at least when i was in school, its just a question of how much people in this country retain that knowledge. Most americans dont use the metric system on a daily basis.

Let me give you an example of that. If i say its 40 celcius most of the world would think: that is pretty damn hot. Now if you ask an american he would probably know thats hot if he has an education but if you ask most americans if 23 celcius would be a comfortable temprature they might not know. TBH i dont know what thats close to in farenheit so without looking on the internet il guess 50-60ish?

Now my opinion. I think we should adopt the metric system. It will streamline our international efforts further and make it easier to relate with the rest of the world on issues. Also we will avoid such troublesome scenarios like figuring out wether you need metric machine screws or SAE machine screws for fastening this device.

I work at home depot in the hardware department and let me tell you it would make everyones job easier, from the field of construction, to engineering if everyone used the same measurement system.

So thats my opinion whats yours?

No because I don't feel like learning a new system of measurement. Everyone else is free to adopt the Imperial system however.

No because I don't feel like learning a new system of measurement. Everyone else is free to adopt the Imperial system however.

I thought they still taught the metric system in school? Did you forget it?

Yes, I think we should. Sure I would have to learn the Metric system then, but I don't even fully know our own system. Do I know how many feet are in a mile? Nope. Do I know what a foot is and how long it is? Yep. Do I know how many cups are in a gallon? Nope. Do I know how big a gallon is in my head? Yep.

The reason I think we should adopt the metric system is because most of the world uses it and its even used here, in certain things.

They can do what they want, but standards are nice so I hope that eventually enough everyone's using the same damn units of measure.

I live in Canada, a country where metric rules the land.. sort of. We use kilometres for distance and litres for our milk bags, but feet and inches for height and penis size.. and pounds for weight.

Imperial is a cumbersome system that's not very intuitive, but I've gotten used to some of it.

I don't know about others, but for me it's pretty hard to learn 2 systems of measurement. I'm not even perfect at our own system, but I know pretty much nothing about the metric system. I'm still in school even.

When you don't use something hardly at all, it's hard to learn and memorize it.

The only reason not to is status quo bias, and that can be gotten rid of by, you know, doing it. Any intuition one has for various measurements can be relearned, and all one really needs for everyday purposes is an order of magnitude conversion, like say, knowledge that a degree Celsius is roughly half a Fahrenheit degree, or that roughly two centimeters equals an inch. It's even easier once you're in the metric system because the order of magnitudes are direct unit conversions.

pounds for weight.

You kinda have to for this one. Weight is the measurment of the force of gravity on an object. Mass is the measurment of matter in an object. Two completely unrelated, but commonly combined, measurements. Next, you should say we should stop using Hours because it isn't "true" Metric.

They do. And yes, I did. Very promptly, it was deleted along with cursive, multiplication tables, handwriting, grammar and punctuation

I don't know about others, but for me it's pretty hard to learn 2 systems of measurement. I'm not even perfect at our own system, but I know pretty much nothing about the metric system. I'm still in school even.

That proofs how cumbersome and inferior the imperial system is.

Metric ftw!

You kinda have to for this one. Weight is the measurment of the force of gravity on an object. Mass is the measurment of matter in an object. Two completely unrelated, but commonly combined, measurements. Next, you should say we should stop using Hours because it isn't "true" Metric.

Could use newtons.

I don't see any pressing reason to adopt metric for temperatures.

Fahrenheit can give a more accurate reading of the temperature without going into decimals since there are more individual units in the range of temperature between boiling and freezing points. Those are the range of temperatures we commonly use.

I just don't see the point of Celsius aside from making the freezing and boiling points easy to remember. Is there a point to using Celsius instead of Fahrenheit besides that? That doesn't seem to be a good reason itself to change from Fahrenheit to Celsius.

A related question. What about paper sizes? Any Americans or Canadians out there who feel they would benefit if they abandoned "letter" and "ledger" in favour of "A4" and "A3".

Yes, America should adopt the metric system. Think of all the money schools will save when they no longer have to print out Imperial to Metric conversion worksheets.

Fahrenheit can give a more accurate reading of the temperature without going into decimals since there are more individual units in the range of temperature between boiling and freezing points. Those are the range of temperatures we commonly use.
Nothing wrong with decimals dude, and when it comes to intuitive measurements of daily temperature, precision doesn't matter much.

I just don't see the point of Celsius aside from making the freezing and boiling points easy to remember. Is there a point to using Celsius instead of Fahrenheit besides that? That doesn't seem to be a good reason itself to change from Fahrenheit to Celsius.

It's used in all serious calculations of temperature, 0 is a far superior reference point than than arbitrarily level of 32 degrees, considering that 0 doesn't really mean anything to people within Fahrenheit, and Fahrenheit is defined in terms of Celsius which in turn is defined precisely within the SI system.

Finally if we did convert then there would be no need to talk about unit conversion between Celsius and Fahrenheit in the first place!

Fahrenheit is superior for those reasons mentioned.

Most everything else can be metric, I don't care.

Using celsius and the 24 hour clock are the only things that mildly annoy me when abroad, but I could get used to them. (I say mildly annoying only because there is that additional 1 second "translation" of the number into a number meaningful to me. For instance say 70 degrees and I know instantly what you're talking about. Say 24 degrees celsius and I have to think about it a little more. I don't even know what 24 celsius is, actually.)

But all the other metric stuff is way better than our stupid system, especially when it comes to liquids.

Top Bottom