1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

SimCity 5

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by KMRblue1027, Mar 4, 2012.

1. NBAfan

NBAfan boss

SC4 wasn't modable at release either, so I'm not worried. The devs have stated before that making the game moddable is a priority.

2. CivCube

CivCube Resist.

That's better. I can live with that.

3. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

4. Leonel

Leonel Breakfast Connoisseur

I can live with an online activation once every time you start a game. As for modding, SimCity 2000 and SimCity 4 are the only SimCity games that actually had mods for it. SimCity 2000 didn't really have "mods" but they had their Urban Renewal Kit. The games were generally fun and diverse enough for me to live without mods.

5. Antilogic

Antilogic --

Yeah, but I don't want to have to sign up for their Origin-whatever junk.

I've actually gone back and started fooling around with the SC4/NAM setup. Selecting any form of tram-line usually crashes to desktop, but at least I have the roundabouts working.

6. Leonel

Leonel Breakfast Connoisseur

Siiiiigh yeah neither do I. I want to hold back on that for as long as I can.

I've also been interested in reinstalling SimCity 4 and modding it with the SimMars mod. Something to placate my SimCity desire.

7. johncross21

johncross21 Warlord

I really enjoyed sim city 2000 but I didn't get on with the last release or sim societies. I am looking foward to this one. Hope they've added some new features but not changed it too much.

8. Antilogic

Antilogic --

Heh, added about 100k people to my one region (which only had a half-million people at start, pretty small compared to some guys). This game is too addictive.

9. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

SimCity 4?

10. Antilogic

Antilogic --

Yup. Sorry, should have made that more clear.

11. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

This is great news. I've been longing for years for a successor to SimCity 4.

The only thing that has concerned me so far in what I've read or watched is that the engine is designed to be able to handle "tens of thousands" of agents. That sounds a bit low to me and I'm expecting city sizes to be pretty small compared to previous games. I think I read somewhere above in this thread that the 'medium' size from Simcity 4 will be used, but even then I'm pretty sure the populations in the millions were still attainable (correct me if wrong - it's been a while since I've played it).

Even with this concern, I'm thinking if the simulation is that much more satisfying that smaller cities will be a compromise I can live with.

I'm not sure what to think about the always online thing. Being always connected to a global market is an idea that appeals to me but it's very difficult to imagine yet how this would play out.

12. Antilogic

Antilogic --

The largest mid-sized region I had was around 200k people, but I probably could have optimized it by moving all industry and a lot of commerce into neighboring cities and making it a bedroom place. One million on a 2x2 mid-sizer sounds a bit extreme.

You are right though, the number of agents does sound small. Hopefully, that will be changed once they move out of the early stages.

13. KaiserElectric

KaiserElectric Total Freakin Besties

I'm looking forward to this game. Judging from the article in PC Gamer, the graphics look nice, and it looks as though it's being streamlined as far as game-play goes. Might turn out pretty good.

14. J-man

J-man Deity

The video about the glassbox engine shows a fire station edited in game. That would be cool. I hope it will be possible to combine building e.g. build a rail station with a bus stop in it, for easy transport.

15. grandad1982

grandad1982 Deity

Sigh.

The simcity games were some of the first PC games I played as a child. Was really looking forward to this but now I know it need Origin etc EA can eat my.....

16. Antilogic

Antilogic --

Side note: In Simcity 4, I always wanted bus stops on road tiles, not requiring their own tile. Just show it with some benches on the side-walk area. But it's pretty much moot--once you have subways, nobody takes the bus anymore.

17. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

I'll wait for the reviews on this one- I still haven't forgiven EA for Spore, let alone Societies. RIP Maxis.

18. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

19. croxis

croxis Chat room op

Because SimCity makes us think about the world around us, and in 2010 that kind of thinking is a lot different than in the 1980's?

20. RD-BH

RD-BH Human

Subsidiary of EA ...
    ... this will never be preordered in my home.

FYI - I thoroughly enjoyed Societies ...
    ... just not sure why box says SimCity.