1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Single Player bugs and crashes v38 plus (SVN) - After the 20th of February 2018

Discussion in 'Bugs and Crashes' started by Dancing Hoskuld, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Camber

Camber Resident Family Therapist

I noticed today that Subdued Flamingo can be used to build the Exotic Herbivores Enclosure, but not the Birds Enclosure. Not sure if that was intentional. I'm not complaining though, because the big herbivores are harder to come by.

2. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

The harder it gets to swap them out the harder this becomes. If you make any changes to what folder you are using the debug dll will not work without a fresh recompile so I'd need to maintain a PPIO folder and a core folder and if I needed to test with PPIO, I'd have to recompile the debug dll each time I swapped out to use it since they have to maintain the same folder name.

This is kinda why I wanted PPIO to go core - makes us all debugging the same material. Some crash spots in PPIO may actually crash in the code despite the only changes being in the python. Not LIKELY but it's possible. Either way, if we're only getting the crash in PPIO, then either we need to see the python bug logs first and foremost, then if nothing can be found through that by Toffer, then I'll need to setup a folder with PPIO so I can try to debug run with that. Using it is basically the same inconvenience as trying to debug any game with a renamed folder. Not TOO bad but I do try to avoid it if possible. lol

raxo2222 likes this.
  3. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

Yeah, If python communicates with the dll at the wrong time this can cause crashes in the dll, I've mostly learned how to spot and avoid it, but it is not always obvious what dll calls can cause a crash at what point, so I can't guarantee that there are not some rare dll crashes caused by PPIO at this point.

It would obviously be easier if PPIO was in the core, but for now I simply advise other modders to not spend much time on bug reports where PPIO is a suspect, rest assured that I look into any reports when this is the case.

TaylorItaly and raxo2222 like this.
  4. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Understood but it's a lot like working with crashes in the EXE from my end in terms of the architectural hierarchy - at least you can SEE into the DLL though. I'll wait until you give me a greenlight on this one and consider it an open ticket. If you find no foothold in trying to address it, I'll set things up to see what I can do with it so just let me know.

5. MattCA

MattCA Chieftain

if modders are running saves that crash it might be a good idea to use a profiler like the 1 that comes with VB. You can catch every exception and report the line it's comin from.

6. Anq

Anq Chieftain

Anser quadrupedis quackahonkahonk (whaaaaat---)
    Was supposed to chase down a thief with my enforcers, however it was one of the mischievous animals that was captured and batted to death.
    There was only one item in the arrest popup to choose - it was the thief, however he managed to distract our enforcers into beating the innocent animal instead. :crazyeye:

Spoiler :
    2019-05-16 (7).png

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  7. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

couple of things??

1. I just trained the tech to enable "wardogs" but i cant upgrade my "trained dogs" because only Neanderthal wardogs are available, why?? pic1

2. I just had taken over a enemy city that was POP 52, then when i take it it DOWN grades to only POP 5, WTF??? pic2

Attached Files:

8. Niveras

Niveras Chieftain

It's not clear to me, based on SVN and other discussions, if this is intended to be fixed yet, but in a new game I am still going into negative national culture rather than being able to select a trait. A possible edge case might be that it will be my first trait rather than adding a new one

If no one else is having this problem, it is possible I forgot to or didn't copy the SVN properly over to my playing directory.

SVN 10573

9. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

I could not get your save to crash at end turn with PPIO, and SVN rev.10564.
    It\s an open ticket, I don\t know how to replicate the crash so I can't debug it.
    You could try to replicate the crash without PPIO, but if you can't replicate it, then we would simply need to consider this report a mystery case.
    Maybe it's caused by a specific bug option selection...
    Maybe TaylorItaly did something wrong when installing C2C and PPIO... Though raxo got it to crash and I doubt he installed it wrong... who knows.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  10. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

I can't even imagine how that bug took place. I'd really have to evaluate that in the save...
    It happens for one round then you get it... but if it's more than that I need to see why and I will only be able to figure that out with the save showing it.
    If You are Neanderthal enabled, those units that are Neanderthal cannot upgrade to ones that aren't and vice versa. I originally made Neanderthal units to be accessible in addition to the normal ones they now replace but that approach was changed.

I'm not sure what the calculations are that took place in that situation. I'd need to see the code process through it. I don't have much experience in play with that stage of the game - some traits cause you to draft a bunch of units from pop as soon as you capture the city (to defend the city with) and I don't know if the partisan units that pop up on conquest reduce population. I also haven't reviewed the rules and code on pop reduction on conquest in general in a while and don't know if the new food for growth numbers might play a role.

11. strategyonly

Not understanding this?? No Neand units in game from MY civ. Was just wondering why i cant upgrade to normal wardogs and not JUST Neand ones, would rather have normal ones, or am i wrong?? or do i need to get rid of the Neand culture . .

12. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

It's one of the penalties for having access to better units (in some cases). Yes, Neanderthal Trained Dogs are the same as normal Trained Dogs except more expensive to train and incapable of upgrading. And while you have access to Neanderthal Units, you do NOT have access to normal Trained Dogs. Therefore, you must train new War Dogs when War Dogs are unlocked. This is because Neanderthals trained your dogs previously and they are not responsive to Homo Sapien commands and are unwilling to accept further training unless it is from Neanderthals, who are becoming interbred into too great a scarcity to continue being staffed to train and control your dogs any further. Those dogs are now pretty much a dead end unit.

Again, the this is part of the counterbalance cost of getting Neanderthal units, which are usually a full strength point higher than other comparable units when a full strength point can mean +33% stronger or more than the homo sapien versions. I had originally made it possible to train homo sapien units as well as neanderthal units when you had access but this was changed so for all Neanderthal equivalent units you have access to, the Homo Sapien ones cannot be trained.

Another example of the counterbalance in action with this is the Neanderthal Gatherers replace the normal Gatherers. The Neanderthal ones are exactly the same (though maybe a little more productive) for +50% production cost. They also have upgrade problems if they survive to that point.

13. strategyonly

ok good explanation above. . . thx/. . . . now how do i change holy cities and yes i have it marked in the bug area. .

14. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Hmm... I am not aware of any game rules that allow you to change the location of a holy city, unless the holy city is destroyed (under the relocating holy cities bug option), or you're talking about where to initiate a religion with a Great Prophet on Divine Prophets.

15. strategyonly

So i have to destroy the city then relocate the HC?

16. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

It would automatically relocate at random, I believe to any city with the religion, possibly even one that isn't yours. If the option is not on for it to move if the city is destroyed, then the Holy City is lost permanently.

17. Elberet

Elberet Chieftain

Don't know, is it a bug or a feature: there is a difference in a number of cities on the map - in playing mode there is one city, but in worldbuilder there are three cities for the same neighbour nation. I've met this bug more then once on different maps and SVN. Does it depend on something or?

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  18. Anq

Anq Chieftain

Anser quadrupedis quackahonkahonk (whaaaaat---)
    It's likely you have un-fogged only one of his cities while there are more in the unexplored parts of the map. At some point in the game you may be able to know the exact number of a foe's cities, I think it's likely when you and your foe discover Writing and then Establish Embassy, which allows you to see each other's capital. Perhaps when you collect enough intellect (espionage) you'll be able to know this too.

If a foe's number of cities is in a blue or cyan color, it's an estimate. When the number is determined, it is in white. It is white when you Establish Embassy with a foe.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  19. Elberet

Elberet Chieftain

Nope. At first screen there is no fog and the capital is the only city (in playing mode) on the map.

And at the second screen there are three cities and expanded territory. Also, in ingame event it is called "the most expanded civilization".

20. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

By fog Anq meant fog of war, which is the greying out of the area that has been explored but no unit is there to observe it anymore.
    You explored the area before the cities were built, you have to re-explore it to get a more up to date map of what's actually there under the "fog of war".

Correct me if I'm wrong and that you are reporting that the cities and cultural borders appear when you move a unit there and then disappear whenever you move the unit away from the area so the fog of war cover it again.