[Small Mafia] Starcraft

Ah well, game over.

Thanks for the game Earthling, and congrats to whichever scum team takes the victory.

DAY EIGHT

Feeling that it was a token choice that might not even matter, Zack was voted the 8 Minerals and 8 Vespene Gas.

It was then time for three remaining beings to settle another matter - eliminating johnhughthom. With sentiment unanimously against him, the others prepared for a final assault.

Tallies
Spoiler :

Lynch
johnhughthom - 3 (Kennigit, Zack, Verarde)
Kennigit - 1 (johnhughthom)

8 Minerals
Zack - 4 (Verarde, Zack, Kennigit, johnhughtom)

8 Vespene Gas
Zack - 4 (Verarde, Zack, Kennigit, johnhughtom)

Spoiler :

johnhughthom was furiously working with his communication device.

"Stay back!" He shouted at the group, "I'm not going to let it end this way!"

Surveying the barren landscape, johnhughthom was bitter at the betrayal.

"I'm the only one left, and I'm not surrendering to you aliens. You can't escape, you'll all die!"

johnhughthom threw a beeping relay to the ground and ran away as fast as he could.
Spoiler :

:nuke: :nuke: :nuke: :nuke: :nuke: :nuke: :nuke: :nuke: NUCLEAR LAUNCH DETECTED :nuke: :nuke: :nuke: :nuke: :nuke: :nuke: :nuke: :nuke:

Spoiler :

Earthling worked at his task, unaware of the all the drama that had taken place every day. His robotic programming was only suited for unattached toil.

Yet he was still lonely.

"The only one here," he thought, "no resources to build a colony."

When he saw the tactical missile descending from above, his sensors indicated something was wrong about it. This wasn't a warp-in from another Protoss, not something he recognized. Without orders to do otherwise, he waited. Nothing else was in the blast radius as the nuclear strike fell head-on to all the fields of minerals.

Spoiler :
Earthling was the Protoss Probe
Spoiler :
He was Innocent!

The rest of the group, having barely escaped the poorly-timed attack, caught up to johnhughthom. He had no real ability to fight on his own, only charging into a futile melee attack. The retribution by the others was swift and brutal.

Spoiler :
johnhughthom was the Terran SCV
Spoiler :
He was Innocent!

Spoiler :
BEGIN NIGHT EIGHT

Send in your orders!

Night ends as soon as I get orders, or the 24 hour cutoff maximum

As always, talking on the thread is allowed.

It would be hilarious if the mafia killed each other now.

Our only hope is with Nuclear Radiation...

With the role I have, I'm probably the best possible person the town could have left.

Kennigit is red mafia, Verarde is dark red. I'm really mad at myself. All of my alarms were going off about Kennigit, but I decided to go with JHT instead.

NIGHT EIGHT

Verarde felt that success was within his grasp. If the fledgling Hive was to be kept safe and hidden on this world, all of these outsiders had to perish.

The problem was that Kennigit was one of the only remaining obstacles to his victory.

Driven by the bloodlust bred into him over a thousand generations, the Mutalisk divebombed his target.

However, acid sprays and agile maneuvering were not enough to break through the enemy's heavy shielding. Kennigit also had similar plans of his own.

Launching a flight of robotic interceptors, the captain of the mighty ship prepared to exterminate yet another Zerg menace, as he had done in many battles before.

Verarde was outgunned

Spoiler :
Verarde was the Zerg Mutalisk
Spoiler :
He was Mafia!

Then there were only two Protoss left to survey the wastelands and the few resources they contained.

Zack was not pleased at this turn of events.

"You've been behind this all along!" He accused Kennigit. "What dishonorable treachery!"

"Worse than siding with the Dark Templar? Worse than abandoning our homeworld?" Kennigit held firm to his beliefs and course of action.

Speaking to his band of refugees aboard the great Carrier, Kennigit announced their triumph.

"We have purged this world of sinister lifeforms. The Terran mercenaries that gave their lives for the cause fought justly. The artifacts and resources are ours."

"And Zack, if you will not join with us, you are not our brethren."

The zealot stood stoic against the blasts of the lasers. He had promised his ancestors he would live to fight some other day, but there was nothing more to be done here and now.

"Defeat means nothing so long as the spirit is unconquered!"

Spoiler :
Zack was the Protoss Zealot
Spoiler :
He was Innocent!

Spoiler :
Raiders Victory!

Congratulations to the team of BigTin, BSmith1068, and Kennigit!

The Innocents and Rogue Cerebrate mafia team were defeated

Thanks everybody for playing!

I was pretty happy with the tense finish that built up over a few days, and while there was some inactivity and hiccups along the way a lot of players still made a great effort. Hope it was fun.

Role PMs, night actions, upgrade details and the rest of mechanics info along more commentary will be out a little later. Questions are welcome. There are a lot of mechanics and abilities that most players did not see or experience. Some unfortunately didn't quite work too, again I'll give my thoughts on setup and how things played out from the GM perspective.

The official Quicktopics:

Rogue Cerebrate Mafia team
Terrans
Non-Robotic Protoss

Oh, and for now one Secret/Easter Egg:

If you look back at the Protoss Probe NPC role in the rules, you'll see that you could technically vote resources to it, and it wanted minerals.
I decided if the players did that I was going to have it disappear for a couple days, then it would come back with another Probe it built as a friend.
That would for the rest of the game result in putting twice as many daily resources up to separate votes.

Posting is open

I thought the carrier was robotic (it gets lockdowned)

anyways there may have been some hubub with the last day of vote but mafia vic condition was standard numbers win. I thought my team (me specifically) botched it when I decided to try to make bsmith look redeemable town cred (soory bigtin!). we didn't have communication with each other since no PMs

No, you were Mechanical, that was in your Role PM too. It is true mechanical units along with robotic units would in fact be affected by the Ghost's lockdown ability and mostly avoid a couple others like Irradiate, just like there were many Air/Ground distinguishing abilities.

Incidentally the Shuttle role was specifically described in that role's background as the unit normally being robotic, but a Protoss refugee had taken up the ship as his own, so that's why it was Mechanical. That was the justification for him since the Protoss quicktopic would have been too small with just three.

The lack of communication for the one mafia team is one mechanic I wasn't certain about - more on that later. It certainly appears to have succeeded from a balance perspective - it seems like it worked as intended to make that mafia team weaker when in other aspects they were individually the stronger mafia team.

I'm just not sure it was very fun though, which is a downside whatever the balance implications were.

Oh thank God. I thought for a while there that I had screwed everything up for our team. Good job Kennigit!

A big sorry to Big Tin for the ruthless bus. You hadn’t posted in a little bit, were third on the priority list for kills, and were on the verge of getting WoG’d, so I decided to try to get some town cred by outing you. Unfortunately that didn’t quite work out as planned as I was lynched next! I probably should have just stuck to my Zack guns and kept voting for him, but it was getting quite boring with no discussion going on at all – so I tried to force some.

Not having any private ability to communicate with my team was quite a challenge. Being second on the priority list meant that I never actually killed anyone as Kennigit kept doing the kills. I couldn’t figure out how to telegraph that I could do two kill attempts from quite early on because of the Terran race upgrade.

Dang it! I thought I had attacked the correct player! It all came down to that one decision...

here's my team's QT. After my teammates bit the dust, I kinda monologued on my thoughts.

No problem BSmith i understood you had to do it. I even bussef you right back knowing whichever one of us survived would get town cred.

Hmm, I thought that since I was a doublevoter, I would have won if I was the only player left against one mafioso.

What was up with the nuclear reaction thing?

You guys suck for lynching me for no reason, although I feel somewhat vindicated that 2 of my bandwagoners were mafia and one had to vote for me to save himself.

To be honest, I started thinking you were innocent towards the end of the day, Zack, but at that point I still preferred your death to mine. :p

Top Bottom