So, how was 2013 for you?

How was 2013 for you?

• Good

Votes: 19 38.8%
  • Average

Votes: 10 20.4%
  • Bad

Votes: 16 32.7%
  • It's 1913, son. Next one will be 1914.

Votes: 4 8.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
2013 is just another wasted year for me. It just seems like things are only going to get worse, and that there's nothing I can do about it.

I had an appointment at the hospital back in June. My eyesight is getting worse, but not yet bad enough for surgery.

Anything I try to make myself better just fails. It's not the lack of time but space. Trying to draw again doesn't work. Trying to read more I did think about learning an instrument but there's still the problem of no space. The only thing that I tried that seemed to work was write. Even then I somehow can only do it about half an hour a day (I find it hard to stare at small text on a screen), and everything I write is just terrible.

I did manage to complete a few games, some I should have probably done years ago.
Spoiler :
Fallout, Just Cause 2, Dragon Age: Origins, Batman: Arkham City, Trine 2, The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle-earth II, Pokémon White 2, Sonic Generations, Age of Empires III and expansions, Master of Magic, Costume Quest Lego Batman 2, Tropico, Torchlight, Flight of the Amazon Queen, Machinarium, Inherit the Earth, The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages, Simon the Sorcerer 1 and 2, The Bard's Tale.

I think I wasted far too much time playing Skyrim.

Almost everyone else around me is getting on with their lives. Another one of my younger sisters is moving out (that is three now), and she had a baby. The first sister to move out had a baby a month before she did.

The one who isn't planning on doing anything is my younger brother, who is the one everyone wants to move out. I have to share the smallest room in the house with him. All he does is play Call of Duty or FIFA on the Xbox, listen to urban chart music loudly so everyone can hear, go out drinking and coming home in the early hours of the morning, and gambling. He did admit to having a gambling problem, as I was asked to look for the closest Gambler's Anonymous meetings. He also has a problem with stealing any money he can find, including breaking into my mum's safe, and then afterwards asking if anyone has any money for a bus ticket repeatedly.

I guess the saddest thing that happened this year was that my dad's dog died. I think it affected my dog the most, as he doesn't like being left alone.

There's probably a lot that I'm missing.

I forgot that I completed NaNoWriMo. That was something I'd wanted to do.

And everything has its bright side -- now I have reliable transportation, and I've invested another year of well-regarded service at my job. I also became the clerk/secretary for an institutional board in town, and have done that all year. I expect to be reelected at the next meeting, so that's good as well. :)

2013 was mediocre and forgettable. Something we have in common.

My forecast for 2014: Painful first five months, unpredictable but probably mediocre remainder. Really, besides the possibility of studying in Germany for a semester in maybe 2015, do I have anything in life to look forward to?

In August, I went to India, which is a place I usually enjoy quite a lot, since the weather's a lot better than where I normally live, I get to see family members I like being around, and I get lots of good food. However, this time I came down with an awful case of something (might have been food poisioning), vomited for pretty much a day and a half straight, and didn't have the stomach to eat anything beyond plain rice and potato chips for about a week.

That's a pretty descent representation of my entire year.

I spent most of it mired in depression, which hasn't done wonders for my self-image and social anxiety, which meant that by October I had all but become a shut-in. And I absolutely loathe high school, which made that even worse. My mood's plateaued since then, mostly since I began seeing a psychologist, but it hasn't improved, and what makes it worse is that there's one part of me that believes I'm just overreacting to a normal teenager's experience.

That being said, it wasn't all bad. I was in Switzerland for a week, I did gather enough courage to come out to a few people, and I finished nanowrimo, which is probably the first time in my life I've ever finished something of my own accord.

I don't see how 2014 could be much worse than 2013, so there's at least one thing to look forward to.

Sorry if that was too whiny.

I got back to working in a lab. For that alone 2013 was a great year. A wonderful prelude to 2014, where I should conclude this research course and start graduate studies.

I was good for about 8 months, then went weird. Adjusting to life's curveballs is just part of life, though. I guess.

What happened the last four months?

Best one yet. Got engaged, got into grad school, got out of the food service industry, moved to another country, made a lot of new friends, and grew a lot personally. And best of all? I think I finally have an imaginable, stick-to-able but still flexible plan for the next several years of my life!
Jeez... like, me 22 years ago (though the engagement didn't work out in 1991) Though, I didn't move to another country.

2013: in spite of me losing a comrade to cancer, my gf losing both her uncle and her grandpa, this was my best year ever:
1. Wrapped up five building projects started in 2012, reno'd three bathrooms and a kitchen. All volunteer, of course.

2. recruited a gaggle of new cadres, 6 in the final 2 months of the year.

3. met lots of revolutionaries from east and west, and south...

4. made the love of my life the love of my life... for life.

5. got in touch with dozens of high school and college friends who are starting to get involved in what I do....

6. Married off my cousin to a really good man.

7. Got involved in CFC OT! Met some fast friends who I wouldn't mind IRL.

8. Got a new family member, my cousin's beautiful son.

8 is lucky number... I will stop there.

Spcectacularly GOOD:
Birth of my third daughter

GOOD:
Job's moving along nicely

Very Bad:
My father died.
Health of my mother worsened

A lot more extreme ups and downs than my average year. Hope things settle down again this year.

It's mostly been business as usual -- work, housework, raising children, personal maintenance, etc.

Bad: Never enough time for everything.

Good: Successfully impregnated my good lady wife again; baby #3 is due Any Day Now.

Good:
Got to leave this god-forsaken state twice (New Mexico and the East Coast!)
Volunteered for AZ Dems for a day, hopefully things will pick up speed going into the midterms.
Moved into a Dem district.

Bad:
Still haven't gotten learners' permit.
Still haven't got a job.
School was boring as hell.
Taillesskangaru's avatar has repeatedly interrupted my train of thought.

It was very long and very arduous. I struggled with some parts of my education and jahb that have been trivial to me before and all signs point to such continuing. I fear my brain is rotting in some unspecified manner...bipolar, mad cow, I dont know. Second grandpa died, both a pro and a con. Lost the only girl I could be an unhinged psychotic around. That alone made 2013 the most horrid year ever. After that managed to find two great girls, but lost said girls to circumstances of life and not even my own stupidity which always feels more gratifying because it is my fault, this is just frustrating.

Top Bottom