[SOLVED!] Only one modded Civ appears on the Select Civilization screen

ScythianBeastie

Chieftain
I've been searching through this forum and reading through threads all night tonight but haven't found any reference... so...

Have there been any fixes for that problem?

(Some of the folks who use my mod aren't as into modding as we are, so they're a bit perplexed by having to select the civ in Advanced Setup.)

Thank you! :)

OK, so, to sum it up --

The Select Civilizations screen is really, really picky. For more than just one of your modded civs to appear in the list:
  • Each and every civ in the mod must have at least two Overrides (see below).
  • One type of Override is a Civilization_UnitClassOverrides value set (aka "unique unit").
  • Another type of Override is a Civilization_BuildingClassOverrides value set (aka "unique building").
  • You can have one of each, or one of each type, or more than one of each type -- but each civ has to have at least two Overrides of some kind.

NOTE: The original thread that Putmalk answered mentioned that leader traits are also required -- all of my civs have leader traits, though, so I wasn't able to test that part on my own.

Here's the part that made this easy: Despite the fact that they're colloquially called "unique units" and "unique buildings", they can be re-used among civs. For example, you can use the Worker as each civ's Civilization_UnitClassOverrides entry, and use the Market as each civ's Civilization_BuildingClassOverrides entry, and it will work! (Or you could use two UnitClassOverrides, or two BuildingClassOverrides... whatever you prefer.)

Here's what I did for each of the civs in my mod (replacing XYZ with each civ's three-letter code, of course):
Code:
	<Civilization_BuildingClassOverrides>
		<Row>
			<CivilizationType>CIVILIZATION_XYZ</CivilizationType>
			<BuildingClassType>BUILDINGCLASS_MARKET</BuildingClassType>
			<BuildingType>BUILDING_MARKET</BuildingType>
		</Row>
	</Civilization_BuildingClassOverrides>
	<Civilization_UnitClassOverrides>
		<Row>
			<CivilizationType>CIVILIZATION_XYZ</CivilizationType>
			<UnitClassType>UNITCLASS_WORKER</UnitClassType>
			<UnitType>UNIT_WORKER</UnitType>
		</Row>
	</Civilization_UnitClassOverrides>

(I will be building unique buildings and units for every one of my civs eventually... but I want to put more thought into each of them than I have time to do at present.)

I've seen a fair number of threads where this problem has been puzzling quite a few people -- is there a possibility that this thread could be Sticky, to help folks avoid confusion in the future?

Anyhow, thank you, Putmalk, for answering my question in that old thread. IT WORKS! :D

Having two Unique Units won't mess up the selection screen... there just has to be >= 1 Unique Unit and >= 1 Unique Building for each civ for the selection screen to work properly.

So does that mean that a civilization with two Unique Units will mess up the selection screen?

IIRC the requirement is "at least two uniques". You certainly don't need a unique building or Polynesia and The Incans wouldn't work.

I rewrote my original message to include that information. Thank you, whoward69! :)

Which you need to rewrite again to include unique improvements, eg Incan Terraced Farms and Polynesian Moai

(If you don't have the DLC, the format is

Code:
<Improvements>
  <Row>
    <Type>IMPROVEMENT_MOAI</Type>
    [COLOR="Red"]<CivilizationType>CIVILIZATION_POLYNESIA</CivilizationType>[/COLOR]
  </Row>
</Improvements>)

Unless you use the same artwork - more than one world civ has the concept of "terraced farms".

But regardless, the re-written OP implies that a civ must have two or more UA/UB's - which is not true, as it's two or more UA/UB/UI's

This should be put back in Tutorials, or maybe yansa should add post#3 as a new Tutorial. It's a common problem that hits many modders (including me) and will continue to do so as this thread slips into oblivion...

Top Bottom