Soy is making kids gay

My older brother was a vegetarian for 4 years from ages 14 - 18 (he stopped because he went off to college and became too lazy to find proper vegetarian food), and he wasn't exactly effeminate.

Girls dug him, he had serious muscle tone AND definition, was very athletic, and was pretty much one of the most popular fellas in high school. When he stopped being vegetarian, not much changed.

I personally am not a fan of vegetarianism, but lets have our feet on the ground, please?

[...]

but lets have our feet on the ground, please?
A nice idea. But there's one problem with having your feet firmly on the ground:
Spoiler :
You can't get your pants off for the important stuff. :ack:

OK OK, I'm sorry. Nothing to see here, kindly move on.

On topic now, I don't know if somebody already mention it, but IIRC, testosterone, estradiol and progesterone suffer a huge first pass effect even if they exist in a tiny amount in any food, they are metabolized when they pass through the liver for first time. That is why testosterone is taken intramuscularly (sorry if It is not an English word), meaning that you have to use an injection to take it.

I think was confuses the data on soy and estrogen-mimicking effects is that we also have a hormonal rebound effect. For the same reasons why minor quantities of steroids like d-bol, etc. will ruin your testosterone production, minor quantities of estrogen mimickers would likely increase male-sex hormone production.

That comment needs evidence for justification just as the OP article does.

It could, except that I can't.
I'm giving it as a potential reason why the testosterone-effects of soy eating are confounded.

Unless you want me to prove that steroids suppress natural testosterone production? But I don't think you need me to prove that.

I think your horsey is tired because of the soy.
When you were feeding your horses a more natural 'red meat' diet, they were all vivacious.

Indeed, millions, if not billions prove it wrong, that (Bozo's) post (string of posts) was (were) one (some) of the stupidiest I've ever seen in my four and half year stay on CivFanatics.
Oh come on Narz, the stupidest youve seen in four years?? Look, regardless of where you fall on this set of issues, I think theres one thing ALL of us can agree on: Milk, red meat, gayness, testosterone and vegetarianism are all hot button political issues these days. Theres very little clear, calm thinking about those issues. Thats why people who have different views are called stupid. The fact is that the human race evolved as meat eaters. We all want to be natural and get back to nature, right? Well, theres nothing more natural than killing an animal and eating it. I find it hard to believe that a food which we've been eating for like a million years, before we were even fully human, can have no beneficial effects on human growth and development, when consumed in moderation. I also believe that soy milk, in moderation, is perfectly fine. Most things in moderation are perfectly fine. Dont confuse me with the author of that article, which I havent even bothered to read yet.

You're clearly remembering the article that linked the eating of seafood to increased brain development, yeah?

You're clearly remembering the article that linked the eating of seafood to increased brain development, yeah?
Im not thinking of any one single article, in the past few years Ive read all sorts of articles associating meat eating among early humans with brain development. Red meat as well as seafood.

What about the Old and New Testaments of the Bible. Are you seriously suggesting that people before the 19th century (Israelites and later Christians) didn't realise from the Bible that sex with a man is homosexual behaviour. Do you not know of the 'hardcore' OT verses about killing homosexuals? Do you not know about the 'hardcore' verses from Paul? I seriously doubt it.
Yup! The bible doesn't condemn homosexuality - it condemns having sex with another man. The idea that femninity is part of homosexuality, as well as the idea of homosexuality being a different form of sexuality seperate from heterosexuality, is a modern construct. The idea of pederasty in ancient Greece was not the same as modern day version of homosexuality.

This doesn't mean that homosexuality (being sexually attracted to another man) didn't exist - more like it wasn't discovered, as the law of gravity wasn't discovered.

This story was linked to on WorldNetDaily:

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/health_medical/article2076161.ece

Vegetarianism: the choice of the 'more intelligent' child

It's official - vegetarians really are smarter. But it is not because of what they eat. Bright children are more likely to reject meat and opt to become vegetarians when they grow up, a study has shown. Clever veggies are born not made.

The finding helps explain how a team of vegetarians won the BBC Test the Nation competition in September, when they beat off competition from six other teams including butchers, public school pupils and footballers' wives to achieve the highest overall IQ score.

The top scoring individual in the contest, Marie Bidmead, 68, a mother of five from Churcham, Gloucester, was also a vegetarian. "I think it shows we veggies are good thinkers. We think about what we eat for a start," she said.

Researchers from the University of Southampton who conducted the study agree. They suggest that vegetarians are more thoughtful about what they eat. But they say it is unclear whether bright children choose to become vegetarians for the health benefits or for other reasons, such as a concern for animals, or as a lifestyle choice.

The scientists began investigating the link between IQ and vegetarianism because people with higher intelligence have a lower risk of heart disease, which has long puzzled doctors.

A vegetarian diet is associated with a lower cholesterol level, lower blood pressure and less obesity - all risk factors for heart disease. The researchers wondered if this could explain the health advantage of having a high IQ. They cite Benjamin Franklin, the 18th-century statesman and scientist, who said that a vegetarian diet results in a "greater clearness of head and quicker comprehension". He may not have realised that this was because of whom was eating rather than what was eaten.

However, early last century doctors were less enamoured of the practice. Robert Hutchison told the British Medical Association in 1930: "Vegetarianism is harmless enough though it is apt to fill a man with wind and self-righteousness."

The study, published in the British Medical Journal, was based on more than 8,000 people born in 1970 whose IQ was measured at age 10. Now aged 36, the researchers found 366, just under one in 20, said they were vegetarians (a third of these ate chicken or fish but none touched red meat).

As well as being brighter, the vegetarians were better educated and of higher social class but the link with intelligence remained statistically significant even after adjusting for these factors. Despite their intelligence they were not wealthier and more likely to be working for charities or in education. "It may be that ethical considerations determined not just their diet but also their choice of employment," the report said.

It concludes: "Our finding that children with greater intelligence are more likely to report being vegetarian as adults, coupled with the evidence on the potential health benefits of a vegetarian diet, may help to explain why higher IQ in childhood or adolescence is linked with a reduced risk of coronary heart disease in adult life."

The benefits of forsaking meat

* A vegetarian diet tends to be lower in fat, higher in fibre and vitamins

* Vegetarian diets are associated with lower cholesterol, lower blood pressure, and less obesity

* Vegetarians have lower rates of heart disease, less diabetes and may have less risk of cancer and dementia

* The Vegetarian Society, claimed to be the oldest in the world, was founded in Ramsgate, Kent, in 1847. Mahatma Ghandi, George Bernard Shaw and Linda McCartney were members

* 'Vegetarian' is derived from the Latin vegetus, meaning 'lively' and was intended to be suggestive of the English 'vegetable'

Doesnt surprise me that intelligent adults are more likely to choose vegetarianism. You need to be intelligent to empathize with the animals youre eating. Its important though to include meat in a balanced diet while growing up.

Doesnt surprise me that intelligent adults are more likely to choose vegetarianism. You need to be intelligent to empathize with the animals youre eating. Its important though to include meat in a balanced diet while growing up.

Wait, now people are vegetarians because they empathize with the animals?

Yup! The bible doesn't condemn homosexuality - it condemns having sex with another man. The idea that femninity is part of homosexuality, as well as the idea of homosexuality being a different form of sexuality seperate from heterosexuality, is a modern construct. The idea of pederasty in ancient Greece was not the same as modern day version of homosexuality.

This doesn't mean that homosexuality (being sexually attracted to another man) didn't exist - more like it wasn't discovered, as the law of gravity wasn't discovered.
While this isn't the point of the thread, but the BIble is very clear that Homosexuality is conemned in the Bible.
Romans 1:26-27 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:
27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

Lust basically is a desire for something and while we normally say it refers to sexual desires, that is not always the case. Lust is used in caese where desire is in the wrong thing.

Milk, red meat, gayness, testosterone and vegetarianism are all hot button political issues these days.

Milk is a hot button political issue?? Milk?! :confused:

El_Machinae said:
I think your horsey is tired because of the soy.

No, the horsies are all merry and gay now too, thanks to soy!

actually I can't stand the taste of soy..

:mad: These kind of article make me wanna scream. Yeah, listening to classical music makes you smarter too.
But frankly, if all my life was eating veggies listening to classical music, I would not be happy.
:lol: It would not bother me too much. :D

BTW, since I drink soy milk with my breakfast, does that now mean I a bit fruity now? I mainly drink it since I get bad stomach reactions to cow's milk.

Top Bottom