Space news /comments

Winner said:
An all-military mini-shuttle. I fail to see its significance beyond USAF's finally succeeding in undermining the civilian space programme.

Erm, really?

I was under the impression you were interested in the advancement of space based technology, but perhaps I was mistaken? Don't let your ideological biases get in the way of progress.

I simply don't see it as a significant step forward. It's basically a spy-satellite with wings.

And given that this is now a tried and proven successful design, they are planning on upscaling it to the X-47C for transport of astronauts. This is clearly the best avenue for the US to return to human spaceflight, and is the most promising new human spaceflight vehicle of any space program at the moment.

"Upscaling" it? And what would that accomplish? You still need a conventional booster to lift it up, only bigger and more expensive, there is no room or lift capacity for any significant cargo, so in the end it's just the military trying to get its own parallel space programme.

Well, forgive me for not being particularly excited.

It just seem that Mars colonization will be unfortunately postponed due to world financial crisis and going of USA and Europe by SU route (cutting of scientific funds due to the lack of money).

Anyway:
-> What I don't understand is how they plan to overcome the laws of nature, since Vostochny's northern latitude will significantly hamper their rocket's performance, at least in so far as launches to GEO and the Moon are concerned. The best spaceport in the world for these launches is currently the ESA's facility in French Guyana, which is just a few degrees north of the equator.
Unfortunately Russia did not happen to have a colony in French Guayana... Will have to stick to Far East probably...

"Upscaling" it? And what would that accomplish? You still need a conventional booster to lift it up, only bigger and more expensive, there is no room or lift capacity for any significant cargo, so in the end it's just the military trying to get its own parallel space programme.

Well, forgive me for not being particularly excited.

It'd have a use as crew shuttle into LEO(if it can be manrated). There is no need for it to carry much cargo, we got conventional luanchers and transporters for that(Progress, ATV, Dragon etc). What's missing is a cheap and reliable crew vehicle. I still doubt the X37 will be a basis for that though

It'd have a use as crew shuttle into LEO(if it can be manrated). There is no need for it to carry much cargo, we got conventional luanchers and transporters for that(Progress, ATV, Dragon etc). What's missing is a cheap and reliable crew vehicle. I still doubt the X37 will be a basis for that though

There's plenty of crew vehicles in service or in development. The thing is, something like Dragon-Falcon will probably always be much cheaper than any X37 derivative launched by a ULA rocket. So again, what's the point?

Unfortunately Russia did not happen to have a colony in French Guayana... Will have to stick to Far East probably...

What about buying a few square kilometers of a deserted shoreline in Somalia. Can't be that expensive. I'm surprised that the Chinese haven't already done it.

China Shenzhou-9 spacecraft makes first manual docking

-> China is practising techniques necessary for connecting large modules in space.

What about buying a few square kilometers of a deserted shoreline in Somalia. Can't be that expensive. I'm surprised that the Chinese haven't already done it.

Why would they? They are building their own large space centre in Hainan, which is reasonably far down south (closer to the equator than Cape Canaveral) and practically next door to the factories where the rockets are made.

There's plenty of crew vehicles in service or in development. The thing is, something like Dragon-Falcon will probably always be much cheaper than any X37 derivative launched by a ULA rocket. So again, what's the point?

X37 seems to have a cross country range, something very hard to implement into a capsule which fall almost ballistic. Also it can land on any conventional landing strip.

X37 seems to have a cross country range, something very hard to implement into a capsule which fall almost ballistic. Also it can land on any conventional landing strip.

Yes, but this is generally far outweighed by the additional mass you need to lift to LEO (wings, landing gear, etc.). The STS was in fact a heavy lift system capable of lifting about 120 tonnes to LEO. Unfortunately, the Orbiter spacecraft was so heavy than only about 20-25 tonnes of that was useful cargo.

Yes, but this is generally far outweighed by the additional mass you need to lift to LEO (wings, landing gear, etc.). The STS was in fact a heavy lift system capable of lifting about 120 tonnes to LEO. Unfortunately, the Orbiter spacecraft was so heavy than only about 20-25 tonnes of that was useful cargo.

I know, I'm not a fan of the STS. Too many compromises went into the design and it ended up too heavy as a personal shuttle and not strong enough to carry stuff into orbit. As I said before for heavy payloads conventional rockets are good enough. But I'd like to see a crew delivery vehicle in the style of Kliper,Hermes,Dynasoar. That's why the X37 flight excites me.

I know, I'm not a fan of the STS. Too many compromises went into the design and it ended up too heavy as a personal shuttle and not strong enough to carry stuff into orbit. As I said before for heavy payloads conventional rockets are good enough. But I'd like to see a crew delivery vehicle in the style of Kliper,Hermes,Dynasoar. That's why the X37 flight excites me.

I'd like to see a fully reusable two-stage-to-orbit system, which is in my opinion far easier to do than a true SSTO like, say, Skylon. If you have to lift a winged spacecraft with a conventional booster rocket, I think it defeats the purpose of having a winged spacecraft in the first place.

I didn't realize the Chinese space program was that far along.
Perhaps in a few years we will be able to buy rockets at a third of the current price.

Oh man, wouldn't that be deliciously ironic.

Chinese space program, American space program, doesn't matter to me as long as I get warp drive.

I didn't realize the Chinese space program was that far along.
Perhaps in a few years we will be able to buy rockets at a third of the current price.

Not likely. US government and US companies are prohibited by law from using Chinese hardware.

Russia still has Baikonur on lease no? Vostochny is back-up for now.

Good news about Skylon
The progress is closely observed by ESA (BBC)

Reaction Engines video

-> It seems that the first precooler test was a success. There will of course be a lot more testing, but it appears that the key piece of technology enabling the Skylon spaceplane is viable.

The British government has already noticed and is working to update European regulatory framework to allow the introduction of reusable spaceplanes. The European Space Agency is also following the progress that's being made with great interest.

(yes yes yes :D )

Top Bottom