Speculating on (Historical) Civ Progression

Yes, I think this is the reason. The change from Egypt > Songhai to Egypt > Abbasids has already calmed by nerves. Hopefully further reveals will make it all fall into place.

I understand what you're saying, and I do understand the importance of patience, but I think it is also fair to just allow people to react to the information that is being shown to them.

I agree that it's likely that there will be better, less divisive switches revealed in the future, but it's ok to react negatively to something that is on the table and is objectionable for whatever reason.
It's good that they get Feedback on the effect of their revealed game choices on their proposed Game Audience (and customers!).

-And from that, we may see an entirely different set of choices by Release date.

But let's keep it in perspective: we are reacting to partial information at best, and in some cases largely to speculation based on partial information, and so run the risk of providing Feedback that appears only as Over-reacting.

I don't care for the Buganda Track any more than anyone else, but I'd rather wait and see if it's still there, especially since it appears two Ages from anything in Antiquity that we have any details on - so far.

It's good that they get Feedback on the effect of their revealed game choices on their proposed Game Audience (and customers!).

-And from that, we may see an entirely different set of choices by Release date.

But let's keep it in perspective: we are reacting to partial information at best, and in some cases largely to speculation based on partial information, and so run the risk of providing Feedback that appears only as Over-reacting.

I don't care for the Buganda Track any more than anyone else, but I'd rather wait and see if it's still there, especially since it appears two Ages from anything in Antiquity that we have any details on - so far.

That's fair! Let's hope the Buganda track is revised in short order.

I'm not convinced at all that the Egypt > Songhai link has been revised. I suspect there's more than one historical unlock per civ so that everyone always has a choice of at least 2 even if they are playing so rubbish they don't unlock any other choices based on gameplay.

Rome likely isn't only going to unlock the Normans for instance. Greece also presumably unlocks more than just the Normans. And given both are feeding into one exploration civ, it would be surprising if they don't also have more than one civ they unlock.

No way the historical progression is tied to one civ only. There will be multiple choice, especially if you consider all the new civs that will come via DLCs, the system has to allow multiple choices from the get go.

For now, the 2 screens we have seen for choosing the next civ (Egypt -> Songhai and Rome -> Norman) listed 3 unlock conditions for the target civ : 2 "plays as Civ" and presumably 1 "plays as Leader" (shown for Songhai, hidden for Norman). Or maybe in some cases 3 "plays as Civ"?
With the hypothesis of the same number of available civs in each age, that could be each civ leads to 2, and each civ can come from 2. Maybe. Or not. Time will tell.

Wonder what Greece’s path will be like.

We know they can lead into the Normans so they can end up as France and presumably Britain as well. But I wonder if the default path will be Byzantium and then the Ottomans.

We know they can lead into the Normans so they can end up as France and presumably Britain as well. But I wonder if the default path will be Byzantium and then the Ottomans.
I can see Greece -> Spain as well. I wouldn't rule out a left field Bulgaria for 2nd Age, which could also be unlocked by Greece for example.

Has anyone stated the reason for the Greek link to the Normans?

A Celtic / Belgic tribe, Denmark, Norway, (Viking), or Frankish line makes more sense to me, along with Rome, assuming we get any of those of course.

A Celtic / Belgic tribe, Denmark, Norway, (Viking), or Frankish line makes more sense to me, along with Rome, assuming we get any of those of course.
Maybe because the Normans were mercenaries of the Byzantines and established a kingdom which encompassed southern Italy and Sicily for some time, and because the Byzantines themselves are probably absent from the base game.

Last edited:
I can see Greece -> Spain as well. I wouldn't rule out a left field Bulgaria for 2nd Age, which could also be unlocked by Greece for example.
Bulgaria would be a welcome addition and could also lead into the Ottomans.

I think it’s just all that’s been revealed so far. Same with Abbasids and Songhai leading into Buganda. Though who the natural predecessor to Buganda would be I’m not sure.

Probably because there are very few European civs, for them to go into, as of right now. In fact, I don't really see us getting more than 10 on launch.

They most likely are:
Antiquity: Greece, Rome, Goths (could be specifically Visigoths)
Exploration: Normans, Spain, HRE/medieval Germany in some form
Modern: Britian, French, Germany, Russia

I'm guessing it's less to do with the Normans themselves and more about ensuring their Modern successors have a diplomatic foundation to base their civ on. Presumably Britain as well but definitely France - one of Napoleon's personas is military based that would fit better with a Roman base, but the other has bonuses to diplomacy that Greece can boost.

I think someone else has suggested it somewhere but I assume its so you can go Greece > Normans > America and have The Democracy Civilization TM

The IRL pathway would be
Greek influence on Romans
Roman influence on Franks
Frankish influence on Normans

The Gauls might be inserted into there but the fact that there are only three ages means sometimes my influence to the next age IRL can go through civs that are my “contemporaries”.

If there's Byzantium, then Rome should also naturally path to it. It'd be weird if there's no "historical" path between the Roman Empire and the culture that called itself the Roman Empire as well.

I think the reasoning behind Greece->Norman is the same as Egypt->Songhai : roughly geographical proximity.

Ok, so just checking out, these are all the confirmed unlocks based only civ choice (no leader choice or in-game unlocks) that we know already right? Just showing only the confirmed civs and basically certain to be in the game right now for simplicity sake

1726494254764.png

I may have missed this, but I don’t think Greece/Rome to Abassid is confirmed.
The Greeks doesn't and I did not put them linked, now the Romans...

1726495684282.png

I was going from this, the Abbasid are an unlockable/recomended choice for Augustus, but It's locked because another player (Hatshepsut) already picked it in my view, + it is a path that makes sense, the southeastern part of the Roman Empire went to the Abbasid Caliphate eventually so... Nah now I'm not so sure anymore

EDIT: OK hold on, I did made a mistake ther indeed, Aksum doesn't link to Abbasid, at lest that wasn't shonw anywhere so my bad here

Last edited:
The Greeks doesn't and I did not put them linked, now the Romans...

View attachment 703545
I was going from this, the Abbasid are an unlockable/recomended choice for Augustus, but It's locked because another player (Hatshepsut) already picked it in my view, + it is a path that makes sense, the southeastern part of the Roman Empire went to the Abbasid Caliphate eventually so... Nah now I'm not so sure anymore

I don't think other player picked it first because the devs said that human player will always have priority of choice vs the AI. I think they are locked because the gameplay goals were not achieved - this means that Abbasid is not a natural path for Augustus neither Rome.

Top Bottom