Spring roll strike!

Valka D'Ur

Hosting Iron Pen in A&E
Retired Moderator
At first it might seem like a ridiculous reaction to a government decision...

Eateries go on spring roll strike

By Rebecca Harrison

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Israel's Asian restaurants went on a one-day spring roll strike Tuesday in protest over government plans to rid kitchens of foreign chefs, and said sushi and noodles would be the next items off the menu.

The restaurants are angry at government plans to purge Japanese, Chinese and Thai eateries of Asian cooks and replace them with Israelis as part of a broader program to cut the number of foreigners working in the Jewish state.

The Israeli Ethnic Restaurant Organization said the country's 300 Asian restaurants refused to serve spring, or egg, rolls -- among their most popular dishes -- Tuesday, and planned a follow-up strike in two weeks for sushi and noodles.

"Today there is no egg roll and in two weeks time there will be no sushi and noodles," Arnon Volosky, head of the organization, told Reuters.

Israel attracts virtually no immigrants from Asia since anyone seeking citizenship here must prove they have Jewish family or links to the country.

Seeking to plug a gap in the labor market during the first Palestinian uprising, Israel allowed foreigners to work in the Jewish state. But now it is trying to limit those numbers to create more jobs for Israelis.

This year the government is granting 500 permits to Asian chefs compared with 900 last year. Next year no permits will be issued, although restaurants willing to pay twice the average national salary will be allowed to employ chefs as "experts."

The government argues Israelis can be trained.

"Everyone can make Chinese food it's not impossible to learn," said Shoshana Strauss, a lawyer working on foreign worker issues for the Ministry of Industry, Trade and Labor.

Asian restaurants first started dishing up chicken chow mein and Thai green curry to Israelis about 30 years ago and have evolved into a 1-billion-shekels-a-year ($275 million) industry.

Sushi has proved a massive hit, particularly in the secular coastal metropolis of Tel Aviv and the city's 100th sushi restaurant opened last month.

Volosky said his organization had asked Israel's Supreme Court to force the government to rethink the decision, arguing it could force many out of business or make them inflate prices to cover the salaries needed to secure "expert" visas for chefs.
Article.

So... did I miss the part somewhere that says pork is something Jewish folks don't eat or handle because they consider it unclean? Isn't pork a basic ingredient in many Asian dishes (including spring rolls, egg rolls, etc.)?

I've no objection in principle to the idea that native-born citizens should get first chance at jobs, but when one's religion can get in the way, isn't it reasonable to simply hire people who don't have that problem?

Jewish sushi chefs? Just imagine how small the pieces are going to be then! Plus, I don't know if I want them handling my fugu.

Did you hear about the Japanese-Jewish fusion restaurant?

It was called "Sosume".

Anyway, hooray ethnic cleansing. Haven't they learned their lesson?

We need to be neutral in Israel and Palestine.

Did you hear about the Japanese-Jewish fusion restaurant?

It was called "Sosume".

Anyway, hooray ethnic cleansing. Haven't they learned their lesson?
They don't actually want to kill the foreign restaurant workers...

(please, guys... this is the first thread I've started here and it would be nice to not get it locked :()

Xenophobia.
Ethnic cleansing.
Nazis.

In a thread about a strike over work visas.

Xenophobia.
Ethnic cleansing.
Nazis.

It was nothing to do with visas. It has everything to do with limiting
non-Israelis from living and working in Israel. In civ terms, we'd call
it a "Theocracy", ie no spread of non-state religion.;)

"Everyone can make Chinese food it's not impossible to learn"

Thats just so dumb. Sure you dont have to be Chinese to make good Chinese food, but replacing proffesional chinese chefs with amatuer Israelis? That with westernise the already westernise chinese food!

The horror....

Xenophobia.
Ethnic cleansing.
Nazis.

I agree. It's an acrobatic exaggeration to call it ethnic cleansing; but I was just pointing out that ethnic cleansing doesn't equal killing everyone of some ethnicity, it can also mean forced removal.

Nah it's just protectionism is all.

Dunno if sushi strike tactics are gonna wok though. The patrons could just order something else, and in the process discover a new favorite.

Have you even read the article?

"replace them with Israelis as part of a broader program to cut the
number of foriegners working in the Jewish state"

"Israel attracts virtually no immigrants from Asia since anyone seeking
citizenship here must prove they have Jewish family or links to the country"

Yes I have read it, thank you. And your point was?;)

Top Bottom