STR-05: Shaka the Virgin Conqueror

I just started reading this SG and noticed a huge mistake. You popped a hut for fishing early on. That makes no sense...why not pop a hut for something more useful...like...oh lets see..Rifling...cuz youre lazy, thats why. You realize you can pop a hut for whatever you want by looking at it long enough. You could have stared at that hut for 30 minutes and gotten Rifling...but noooooo...you just casually walk over it for fishing....lazy dirtbags.

Cabledawg: do you know how much work it is catching fish with a rifle? Its not so bad if they're in a barrel of course but when they're just a-swimmin about in the open sea its a real pain.

IT (260 AD): We are far ahead in power. We should be able to finish Mali off quickly and then go for Bismarck.

Turn 3 (305 AD): Poly comes in, start on Mono at 70% (-20). Djenne falls at the cost of a Sword.

Turn 4 (320 AD): Essen falls at the cost of a Cat and is autorazed:(

Turn 7 (365): Mono comes in, start on Monarchy.

Turn 11 (425): Capture and raze Gao.

Turn 14 (470):
Monarchy comes in, start on Feudalism.

Turn 15 (485):
I end my turnset with our troops ready to attack Berlin. GreyFox will just have to move them across the river and the city should be ours.

There's still a Mali stronghold left in the east. If one of the next players can muster a decent attack force for this city, take it down.

Also, I decided that getting reinforcements to the frontline was taking too long, so our Workers are halfway to connecting the homefront with the frontlines in Germany.

I started on Feudalism, but there are no beakers invested yet. After Feudalism, I suggest going for CS, Metal Casting and Machinery to get us some Macemen. Once we get some of our elite Swords upgraded to Maces, we should have this game in the bag.

Attachments

• STR-05 AD-0485.CivWarlordsSave
    154.7 KB · Views: 70
Roster:
1) Strauss --> just played
2) GreyFox --> UP
3) stuge --> on deck
4) pigswill
5) ungy

Looking good. Add trebs to the shopping list and this won't get complicated.

Why Feudalism? LB? Are we seeing foreign incursions that we need inject the little blue pill to the archers to make their thingy longer?

Got it.

We need Feudalism to get to CS. The alternative route would be Currency --> CoL, which is also a viable option, but I prefer to get there as quickly as possible.

We could also go priesthood-CoL-CS. We probably need to decide on civics and research strategy.

If we're running bureaucracy and using Ulundi as our principal research city (academy, settled GSs and cottages) then all feudalism gives us is longbows. If we're aiming for maces then we pick up crossbows on the way.

Alternatively we could go for vassalage and have two or three research cities with academy+cottages.

Either would work I suspect. Which is more efficient ? What are the alternatives?

If we talk abt speed, Priesthood > CoL > CS should be faster than Feudalism > CS. Plus CoL unlocks courthouses ... may be needed to support our growing empire.

I think Bureaucracy might serve us better in the beginning, plus nothing is stopping us from having two or three research cities with academy + cottages together with bureaucracy.

The only benefit feudalism gives is vassalage. I am not sure the +2 exp is worth it though.

--

Inherited Turn

The following picture summarizes the actions taken at inherited turn nicely:

Basically pulled the Impi out of capitol to be a 2nd Super-Medic (and this one is Super-Fast also, with the morale promo, so theoretically, it can go into enemy territory, pillage, and withdraw all in the same turn); killed an injured sword with cat (pree exp, why not?); and of-course, change research to priesthood. I think CoL will benefit us better than Feudalism, plus it is shorter to CS than Feudalism.

Berlin

Berlin falls, with one cat withdrawal and one cat loss.

It became the front of the war, so keep pumping troops.

Thus far, I think I have seen 3 incursions into Berlin by Mao, all repelled.

The Rest

Someone told us we are middle in wealth ...

That shall soon change ...

:eek: Chapter 11? :eek:

Fortunately, we are in a position to take one more German city:

The gold allow us to escape bankruptcy momentarily. I would love to keep all those sugar Hamburgers, but we are broke, remember? Thus, although it pains my heart, I burnt the city.

When CoL came in at my last turn, I did a massive switch of all cities build to courthouses.

I grew tired of the message "Enemy spotted near Djeanne", and decide to lure the skimisher out into the open. We have too many workers on this side of our empire anyway:

The fact that our sacrificial lamb was standing on a tile with sheep was pure coincidence ... Well, the lamb was avenged.

End Turn Notes

Forces near the last city of Mali:

Should be easy.

I was also eyeing the barb city in the middle, however it refuses to grow. The ivory would come in handy as our opponents are showing off their horse archers. Maceman is also quite a lot of turns away. So if the next player grew tired of waiting for it to grow, can consider razing that city and planting one of our own (need settler though). Incidentally, the barb city is also blocking access to iron to the two SW cities.

We also had priesthood and own the Jewish Holy city, so may consider spreading it a bit (not high priority though) for Theocracy or OR benefits.

As mentioned, I am switching to courthouse in lots of cities ... apply whip and chop as appropriate.

I am developing New York to be a high food city ... can consider whipping it mercilessly (use additional archer to combat whipping penalty) to keep our army growing.

Spoiler :

Logging by Ruff's Cobbled Mod Pack v2.0.4 (Warlords v2.08) - New Log Entries
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Turn 199/660 (485 AD) [29-Sep-2007 11:24:35]
Research begun: Priesthood (2 Turns)
Research begun: Code of Laws (2 Turns)
Francisco Pizarro (Impi) promoted: Lead by Warlord
Francisco Pizarro (Impi) promoted: Medic I
Francisco Pizarro (Impi) promoted: Medic II
Francisco Pizarro (Impi) promoted: Medic III
Francisco Pizarro (Impi) promoted: Morale
While attacking in German territory at Berlin, Catapult defeats (3.10/5): Japanese Swordsman (Prob Victory: 99.4%)
Djenne begins: Archer (13 turns)
A Town was built near Ulundi
Djenne finishes: Archer

IBT:
Civics Change: Mansa Musa(Mali) from 'Despotism' to 'Hereditary Rule'

Turn 200/660 (500 AD) [29-Sep-2007 11:28:47]
Djenne begins: Granary (15 turns)
Tech learned: Priesthood
Ulundi finishes: Catapult
Timbuktu grows: 4

IBT:
Attitude Change: Elizabeth(England) towards Mao Zedong(China), from 'Pleased' to 'Cautious'

Turn 201/660 (515 AD) [29-Sep-2007 11:31:32]
Ulundi begins: Axeman (6 turns)
Catapult promoted: City Raider I
While attacking in German territory at Berlin, Swordsman defeats (3.12/6): German Longbowman (Prob Victory: 94.2%)
While attacking in German territory at Berlin, Catapult loses to: German Longbowman (1.56/6) (Prob Victory: 53.8%)
While attacking in German territory at Berlin, Swordsman defeats (6.00/6): German Axeman (Prob Victory: 88.4%)
While attacking in German territory at Berlin, Axeman defeats (5.00/5): German Swordsman (Prob Victory: 97.5%)
While attacking in German territory at Berlin, Catapult defeats (0.75/5): German Spearman (Prob Victory: 90.2%)
While attacking in German territory at Berlin, Catapult defeats (1.70/5): German Longbowman (Prob Victory: 96.8%)
Captured Berlin (Bismarck)
Berlin begins: Ikhanda (90 turns)
Timbuktu begins: Colosseum (20 turns)
Timbuktu begins: Hindu Temple (20 turns)
Timbuktu begins: Archer (7 turns)
Ulundi grows: 9
uMgungundlovu grows: 5
uMgungundlovu finishes: Swordsman
New York finishes: Catapult
Washington grows: 8
Timbuktu finishes: Archer

IBT:

Turn 202/660 (530 AD) [29-Sep-2007 11:39:23]
uMgungundlovu begins: Catapult (6 turns)
New York begins: Axeman (6 turns)
Timbuktu finishes: Catapult
Djenne grows: 4

IBT:
Attitude Change: Elizabeth(England) towards Mao Zedong(China), from 'Cautious' to 'Pleased'

Turn 203/660 (545 AD) [29-Sep-2007 11:42:06]
Timbuktu begins: Axeman (9 turns)
Djenne begins: Axeman (26 turns)
A Cottage was built near Timbuktu
While attacking in Zulu territory at Berlin, Axeman defeats (1.80/5): Chinese Axeman (Prob Victory: 90.1%)
While attacking in Zulu territory at Berlin, Axeman defeats (5.00/5): Chinese Swordsman (Prob Victory: 79.7%)
New York grows: 8
Washington finishes: Swordsman

IBT:

Turn 204/660 (560 AD) [29-Sep-2007 11:46:54]
Washington begins: Swordsman (6 turns)
A Cottage was built near Timbuktu
Timbuktu grows: 3
Djenne finishes: Axeman

IBT:
Civics Change: Bismarck(Germany) from 'Serfdom' to 'Slavery'
Civics Change: Bismarck(Germany) from 'Paganism' to 'Organized Religion'

Turn 205/660 (575 AD) [29-Sep-2007 11:51:24]
Ulundi finishes: Axeman
New York finishes: Axeman
Washington's borders expand
Djenne finishes: Granary

IBT:
While defending in Zulu territory at Berlin, Axeman defeats (2.35/5): Chinese Swordsman (Prob Victory: 61.7%)

Turn 206/660 (590 AD) [29-Sep-2007 11:53:30]
Ulundi begins: Archer (4 turns)
New York begins: Archer (4 turns)
Djenne begins: Archer (19 turns)
Axeman promoted: Cover
While attacking in Zulu territory at Djenne, Axeman defeats (3.50/5): Malinese Skirmisher (Prob Victory: 92.9%)
Timbuktu finishes: Axeman

IBT:

Turn 207/660 (605 AD) [29-Sep-2007 11:56:51]
Timbuktu begins: Impi (6 turns)
While attacking in Zulu territory at Timbuktu, Impi defeats (1.28/4): English Horse Archer (Prob Victory: 77.9%)
uMgungundlovu grows: 6
uMgungundlovu finishes: Catapult
Berlin finishes: Ikhanda

IBT:
A Pasture was destroyed near Berlin
A Pasture near Berlin was destroyed by Chinese Swordsman
Attitude Change: Mao Zedong(China) towards Bismarck(Germany), from 'Pleased' to 'Friendly'

Turn 208/660 (620 AD) [29-Sep-2007 12:00:42]
uMgungundlovu begins: Catapult (5 turns)
Berlin begins: Axeman (11 turns)
While attacking in Zulu territory at Berlin, Axeman defeats (4.20/5): Chinese Axeman (Prob Victory: 90.1%)
Axeman promoted: Shock
While attacking in Zulu territory at Berlin, Axeman defeats (1.00/5): Chinese Swordsman (Prob Victory: 90.4%)
While attacking in German territory at Hamburg, Catapult defeats (2.90/5): German Axeman (Prob Victory: 49.5%)
While attacking in German territory at Hamburg, Swordsman defeats (0.60/6): German Longbowman (Prob Victory: 95.8%)
While attacking in German territory at Hamburg, Axeman defeats (5.00/5): German Spearman (Prob Victory: 99.8%)
Hinduism has spread: Hamburg
Captured Hamburg (Bismarck)
Razed Hamburg
Hamburg lost
Ulundi finishes: Archer
Washington finishes: Swordsman
Timbuktu finishes: Impi
Djenne finishes: Archer

IBT:

Turn 209/660 (635 AD) [29-Sep-2007 12:10:09]
Ulundi begins: Catapult (5 turns)
Washington begins: Archer (5 turns)
Timbuktu begins: Hindu Temple (30 turns)
Djenne begins: Axeman (26 turns)
A Plantation was built near New York
While attacking in the wild near New York, Axeman defeats (3.40/5): Barbarian Swordsman (Prob Victory: 88.4%)
Tech learned: Code of Laws
New York finishes: Archer
Djenne grows: 3

IBT:
While defending in Zulu territory at Djenne, Worker loses to: Malinese Skirmisher (4.00/4) (Prob Victory: 11.6%)

Turn 210/660 (650 AD) [29-Sep-2007 12:15:01]
Research begun: Civil Service (38 Turns)
New York begins: Library (15 turns)
A Winery was built near uMgungundlovu
While attacking in Zulu territory at Djenne, Axeman defeats (4.15/5): Malinese Skirmisher (Prob Victory: 67.1%)
Timbuktu begins: Courthouse (45 turns)
Djenne begins: Courthouse (45 turns)
New York begins: Courthouse (26 turns)
Washington begins: Courthouse (20 turns)

Whipping some pop away into courthouses should save our asses for now.

War never changes

No heavy action this round. Stomped Niani and the Malinese into dust for good.
A second notch came from the barb city in the middle of the jungle. Both went down without losses.

Biz sent a small stack against Berlin. Two swords, an axe and two longbows. The latter were a bit of a nuisance, because we have nothing to counter them effectively. Lost a sword before the stack got smacked with a catapult and wiped out. Later Lizzy and Mao sent one horse archer each. The impis took them down, no problem.

I sent a small stack consisting of two swords, an axe and a catapult towards the barb city near the eastern gems. Two gem mines+dyes would give us some welcome commerce. So far their advance has been blocked by a barb axe hanging in the one-tile wide jungle isthmus.

Right now it's quiet, but Mao has a couple of ships snooping around.

And the economy keeps dragging along

When the next player presses enter, we'll have courthouses in all of our cities, barring Ulundi. Although that requires whipping Djenne. The city was already driven quite dry, so I didn't want to whip it anymore. So go ahead and whip that CH out on the IT if you want.

The effect has been notable. We're up from -5 at 20% to -1 at 40&, with 19 turns left on CS. A little pillaging trip was also helpful. I sent an impi from Timbuktu to pillage the cottages south of the city. I reckoned we wouldn't be settling there anytime soon.

Two gentlemen from Washington.

I'm not sure what to do with the warlord, but we should save the engineer for bulbing machinery, after we clear MC.

Visions

If we want a counter for longbows within the next two turnsets, we should settle near the 'phants in the jungle. Might as well wait for maces, though.

The barbs have saved us a future settler by settling on the ruins of Hamburg.
Assuming that we capture it first, of course.

Touch Me

Roster:
1) Strauss --> on deck
2) GreyFox
3) stuge --> just played
4) pigswill --> past 24 hours, skipped
5) ungy --> UP

I would suggest building the Mil Academy somewhere with the GG ... we already have 2 Super-Medic Impi.

I think the phants city is worth it ... #1 it gain us a happy face, #2 phants naturally counter both HA and melee units, so 1 phant = 1 mace + 1 pike (except when attacking city, of-course). Thus even though we are heading towards maces (in 3 turnsets, CS=19 turns, MC will take up another ~10 turns), I would still advocate settling the former barb city ... it also reduce unit support cost.

--

Top Bottom