Suggest your own world wonders, natural wonders and city-states

Xandinho

Deity
I've been having a free time with nothing to do during the quarantine, so I thought of creating a thread for bonus suggestions for world wonders, natural wonders and city-states that you would like to see in the game. I started with 5 wonders of the world that I really want to see in the game and I thought of bonuses that could be fun for each of them: Notre Dame, Neuschwanstein, Zeus Statue, CN Tower and Borobudur. So I went on with 3 famous wonders of nature: Mount Sinai, Sugarloaf Mountain and Grand Canyon. Finally, some city-states that I would like to see implemented: Bagan, Vatican City, Vienna and Teotihuacan.
Feel free to give your own suggestions of wonders and city-states and their bonuses.

World Wonders

Notre Dame
Divine Right
Must be built next to a river

2 slots for relics
1 slot for religious great work of art.
+2 culture
+2 faith
+25% culture and faith in this city, these effects are doubled if you are in a golden or heroic age.

Neuschwanstein
Nationalism
Must be built on a mountain

+4 culture
+2 amenities
+2 appeal on all tiles in this city
Provides +6 tourism and +4 gold to all your cities that are within 6 tiles.

Zeus Statue
Mysticism
Must have founded a religion
It must be built adjacent to a holy site with a shrine

+4 faith
+2 points for great general
Killing a unit of a civilization that follows another religion provides faith equal to 50% of its combat strength.

CN Tower
Telecommunications
Must be built on a flat land adjacent to the city center

This city receives +1 yields (culture, science, gold, production and tourism) for each population.

Borobudur
Machinery
Must be built on a rainforest tile.

+2 culture
+2 faith
+2 points for great merchant.
All the plantations on the continent that this wonder is built generate +2 gold and +2 faith. Rice farms receive these double bonuses.

Natural Wonders

Mount Sinai
1 impassable tile
Acts as a Mountain

+3 faith and +2 appeal to adjacent tiles.
For the civilization that has this tile, it receives +4 points for great prophet per turn.

Sugarloaf Mountain
1 impassable tile
It doesn't act like a mountain.

Appear next to a coast
+2 culture, +2 gold and +2 appeal to adjacent tiles.
For the civilization that has this tile, cities that have at least 1 seaside resort receive +1 amenitie.

Grand Canyon
3 impassable tiles
Acts as a source of Fresh Water.

+4 gold, +2 food and +1 faith to adjacente tiles and +2 appeal to adjacent tiles.
The civilization that has any of its tiles, tourism from national parks is doubled.

City-states

Bagan
Religious city-state
Allows the construction of Bagan Temples
They can be built on any terrain except desert, tundras and snow.
+0.5 housing
+2 faith
+2 culture (converted to tourism after flight)
+1 extra faith for each adjacent holy site.
+1 faith if you are adopted theocracy government.

Vatican City
Religious city-state
+2 diplomatic favor per turn for each foreign civilization you converted to the religion you founded (maximum 10).

Vienna
Cultural city-state
+3 points of influence per turn and +2 extra points of influence for each alliance you have.

Teotihuacan
Industrial city-state
Districts receive +2 adjacency bonus of their type being adjacent to the city center.

Last edited:
I love this idea

World Wonders:

Statue of Zeus: (It's similar to yours)
Unlocks at Mysticism
Must be built adjacent to a Holy Site with a shrine and have founded a pantheon.
+4 Faith
+5 Combat Strength in Theological Combat
Killing a unit of a civilization that follows another religion provides faith equal to 50% of its combat strength.

Globe Theater
Unlocks at Humanism
Must be built adjacent to a Theater Square with an Amphitheater.
+2 Great Writer points per turn
+2 Great Works of Writing slots
+1 Great work of Music slots.
Automatic Great Writer appears

Mt. Rushmore
Unlocks at Conservation
Must be built on a mountain tile in a National Park.
All other tiles within the National Park that Mt. Rushmore is in gain extra appeal.

Natural Wonders:

Krakatoa
Two tile impassable natural wonder.
Acts as a volcano. Only spawns on coastal water. Always active.
+1 Science for adjacent tiles initially and +2 appeal

City-States:

Bacatá
Trade City-State
Lake tiles in your territory provide +2 gold and an amenity.

Hlg̱aagilda
Miltaristic City State
May build the Totem Pole Improvement:
Provides 1 culture. +4 fortified strength to units on the tile or within 3 tiles of the totem pole improvement.

Lhasa
Religious City-State
Religious Units may move through mountains as if mountain tunnels are built.

Vienna
Cultural City-State
+ 1 Great Musician Points per turn for each alliance you have and +1 more for each level of alliance.

Edit: I like your idea of an alliance bonus to Vienna so I tweaked my ability.

Last edited:
Here's my thoughts.

Washington Monument:
+10 loyalty in the city it's in and +3 loyalty in each adjacent city.
+ 2 culture in the city it's in

Twin Towers:
+5 influence points
+5 culture
Increase chances of barbarians spawning near city.

Texas (City state):
Economic City State
Grants +2 gold for each unit you own
Can be bought by Suzerain (City will have +4 gold)

World wonders
Name: and Insperation: Detroit tank arsenal, or simply the tank arsenal
Requirements: Need combustion and need to be placed next to an encampment with a military Academy and a industrial zone with a factory
Effect: Whenever you produce a land military unit in the city, you get an additional unit of the same type for free

Name: and Insperation: Willow Run
Requirements: Need advanced flight and need to be placed next to an aerodrome with a Airport and a industrial zone with a factory
Effect: Whenever you produce an air unit in the city, you get an additional unit of the same type for free, also double the airdome capacity

Name: Vasa Museum
Requirements: National Heritage and need to be next to coast and your civilization need to have gathered 3 shipwrecks
Effect: Whenever a shipwreck is collected, the Vasa museum gain +5 Culture and tourism, this works retroactive

Name: The great museum, based on British museum
Requirements: Natural History and a Theatre Square with an archeological museum
Effect: The great museum have 9 artefact slots and create 3 archeologist on completion. Once full it is automatically themed

World wonder tied to tier 4 governments

Name: The particle accelerator, based on hadron collider
Requirements: You need to in the synthetic technocracy government for it to work and in order to build it also it need to be next to a fully developed campus.
Effect: Gain +10% science for each Alliances you have, allies gain +5% science.

Name: R&R (probably a better name), inspired by the civ 4 wonder of the same name and I could not find anything better
Requirements: You need to in the digital democracy government for it to work and in order to build it also it need to be next to a fully developed Entertainment complex.
Effect: Rock bands start with 2 levels of experience and can always enter borders even with music censorship. Gain +25% tourism towards allies and allies gain +10% toruism to you.

Name: The military industrial complex, again a better name could be used
Requirements: You need to in the corporate libertarianism government for it to work and in order to build it also it need to be next to a fully developed Commercial hub.
Effect: Reduce production cost of military units by -10% for each alliance you have while allies gain -5% reduction. You can declare gold age war without any requirements.

Notre dame (France)
Unlocks with Divine Right
must be built next to the river
2 slots for either relics or religious art
+20%faith output in this city

Woudagemaal (Netherlands)
Unlocks with Steam power
must be build adjacent to a lake
Prevents flood damage due to rivers in all your cities within 6 tiles.
+5 production and +2 food

Afsluitdijk (Netherlands)
Unlocks with electricity
Must be built on a coastal tile adjacent to at least two coastal or ocean tiles and two land tiles.
prevents flood damage in your entire kingdom, can be crossed by units without embarking

Cayan tower (Arabia)
Unlocks with economics civic
must be built on flat land adjacent to city center
provides max appeal to all tiles this city owns.
+ 1 economic policy slot

Since we got some mythological wonders in Frontier Pass, how about...

City State: Camelot
Type: Militaristic
Effect: +25% tile defense and +4 culture on forts

Natural Wonder: Mount Olympus
- Spawns on a mountain surrounded by hills
- Yields 1 faith and 1 culture to surrounding tiles
- If it's in your city, air units get +strength, as a reference to Zeus (yeah this bonus won't be relevant much, but I can't think of any particularly logical effect!)

Natural Wonder: Atlantis
- Spawns on ocean tiles
- Yields 2 culture, 2 faith, 1 science
- First unit to go over it gets a relic

Natural Wonder: Garden of Eden
- Spawns in desert next to an Oasis
- Yields 3 food and 2 faith
- If it's in your city, citizens cannot starve to death or die from natural disasters

World Wonder: Tower of Babel
- Built on desert
- Yields 2 science, 2 culture, 2 writing slots, causes great works of writing to give +2 science (I think babylon's ingame ability is a reference to this anyway)

Natural Wonders
Mt. Ararat / Little Ararat
Appears as a three-tile mountain. Adds +2 Faith and +2 Culture to each adjacent tile. Owning any tile of it generates +1 Diplomatic Favor per turn.

Lake Baikal
Appears as a two-tile lake. Provides fresh water. Each tile provides +2 Science, +4 Food, and +2 Faith. Provides +2 appeal to each adjacent land tile.

Garm Chashma (we don't currently have any hot spring wonders, and Central Asia needs some love)
Provides +2 Science and +1 Amenity. Does not count as fresh water.

Ala-kul Lake (an alternative to the above)
Appears as a single-tile mountain and a two-tile lake. The lake provides fresh water. The water tiles have +2 Food, +1 Production, and +1 Gold. The mountain tile boosts appeal of adjacent tiles by +2.

Jeju
Appears as a single-tile island. Provides +2 Science and +2 Culture; adjacent water tiles provide +1 Production and +1 Food.

World Wonders
Notre Dame
Must be built on flat land adjacent to a Holy Site with a Temple
Provides +4 Faith and +2 Culture; holds a Great Work of Music and a Relic slot

Darvaza Crater
Must be placed on flat land with no adjacent districts; districts cannot be built adjacent to it
It would look amazing on the map. :p Provides +2 Science and doubles the tourism production of the city it's placed in.

Po-i Kalyan (once again, Central Asia needs love)
Must be built on flat land adjacent to a City Center
Provides +2 Science, +2 Faith, and +2 Culture; replaces your Monuments with Minarets that provide +1 Faith in addition to their normal bonus.

Gyeongbokgung
Must be built on a Hill adjacent to the Capital
Loyalty pressure from your capital is doubled; if the city is ever captured, enemy Loyalty is halved. Has a Great Work slot that can hold anything.
OR
Acts as a second Palace.

Thousand Buddha Grottoes (for being the wonder king, China is lacking in wonders)
Must be built on a Mountain (like Machu Picchu)
+2 Faith; has a Great Work of Writing slot; your Great Works of Writing provide +2 Faith and +1 Science; each citizen following a minority religion provides +1% Culture

Mount Olympus
Mount Olympus is a real mountain, but it's not that wondrous.

I think there's a few. I love Utah's Mt. Olympus here along the Wasatch Front - I think it's pretty wondrous.
I kinda assumed he was talking about the original one in Greece. It's tall but not extremely tall, and it doesn't have a particularly distinctive massif. (I vacationed in Utah a few years ago. Gorgeous state. Unfortunately I was sick for most of the trip, but I loved the landscape. :D )

World Wonders
Green Bank Telescope - Information Era wonder that unlocks with Satellites. Provides +3 Science and triggers an Inspiration for one random Technology required for Spaceport projects. Can only be built on flat ground adjacent to a Campus or Spaceport.

World Trade Center - Modern Era wonder that unlocks with Steel. Boosts Gold yield of all Trade Routes by 50% and grants 1 free Great Merchant. Provides +5 Loyalty per turn to its city. Can only be built on flat ground adjacent to a City Center.

Notre-Dame de Paris - Medieval Era wonder that unlocks with Divine Right. Grants a free Apostle and boosts its city's Faith output. Has 2 Great Work slots (Relics). Can only be built on a River adjacent to a Holy Site with a Temple.

Temple of Zeus - Ancient Era wonder that unlocks with Mysticism. Can be built next to a Holy Site or Theatre Square. Grants +2 Faith per turn and Great Prophet points if built next to a Holy Site, and +2 Culture and Great Writer points if built next to a Theatre Square (probably wouldn't stack? You decide.)

Mount Rushmore - Modern Era wonder that unlocks with Mass Media. Can only be built on non-volcanic Mountains. Provides +2 Culture and Tourism per turn, +3 once Cultural Heritage is researched. Provides +2 Appeal to the tiles of adjacent National Parks.

Crazy Horse Memorial - Atomic Era wonder that unlocks with Cultural Heritage. Can only be built on non-volcanic Mountains. Provides +3 Culture and Tourism per turn. Grants Great General points if built within 3 tiles of an Encampment.

Natural Wonders
Chicxulub Crater - 7 tile* Natural Wonder that appears in Ocean tiles near coast. Provides +3 Science to adjacent city tiles and +2 Culture to Archaeological Museums. Triggers the Inspiration for Natural History, if it hasn't already been boosted.
*could be made even BIGGER if the scale requires! : D

Grand Canyon - 2 tile impassible Natural Wonder that appears in Desert tiles and has a River running through it. Provides +3 Faith and Culture to adjacent tiles. Generates a high amount of Tourism once Flight is researched. (Honestly, it could also boost Natural History if need be.)

Pillars of Hercules - Impassible Natural Wonder that forms as two individual tiles on either side of a Coast tile. Naval units that pass through them gain the "Argonaut" ability (+5 combat strength until the unit is upgraded.) Each Wonder tile provides +1 Appeal and +1 Faith to surrounding tiles.
(Fun Fact: Hercules was one of the Argonauts. Also, this is just a naval Giant's Causeway. : P)

La Brea Tar Pits - 1 tile impassible Natural Wonder that appears on Grassland, Plains, or Desert tiles. Grants +1 Science to surrounding tiles, +2 once Natural History is researched. Adjacent Campus districts with a Research Lab or Theatre Squares with an Archaeological Museum gain +3 Science or Culture respectively, as well as bonus Tourism (does not stack.) -1 Appeal to surrounding tiles.

Pando - 2 tile Natural Wonder that appears as Woods on Grassland or Plains. Cannot be improved or cleared. Provides +2 Science and Faith to its city. Provides +4 Tourism if encompassed by a National Park. +1 Appeal to surrounding tiles.

Ngorongoro Crater - 2 tile Natural Wonder that appears on Plains. +2 Appeal to all tiles in its City. Naturalists cost -50% Faith to purchase in its city. Grants a massive Tourism boost if encompassed by a National Park. Triggers the Inspiration for Conservation if it hasn't already been boosted.

(Will update later with City-States.)

Last edited:
Chicxulub Crater
Chicxulub wouldn't be very wondrous; the crater isn't readily apparent even from satellite imaging. Barringer Crater (as featured in Civ5) or Lonar Crater are among the few impact sites on Earth that really look recognizable as craters.

A natural wonder idea:

Adam's Bridge / Rama Setu:

Passable land tile; same placement rules as the Golden Gate Bridge. Grants a free trade route to the civ which controls it, and grants a bonus to trade routes passing through it. Changes to a passable sea route if affected by a natural disaster.

I imagine you can start to see a theme for these wonder ideas...

Domesday Book
:
(I wanted to make a wonder that helps those who choose audience chamber exploit those bonuses. I think the governor mechanic is a decent way to simulate the impact that Domesday had on centralized control in feudal England. Plus the Domesday book stands out as a huge achievement - some land title in England can be traced back almost 1000 years as a result.)
  • does not take up a tile
  • grants 1 promotion or new title for each of the 7 governors *so that you cannot throw 7 titles at a single governor),
  • reduces amenities in all cities by -1 for 10 turns at standard speed, and loyalty by -2 for 20 turns.
  • Requires feudalism and a government plaza with 1 upgrade
East India Company
(basically I wanted to create a wonder that enabled a tall and aggressive play-style. this sort of simulates European colonialism - creating powerful bases that siphoned off resources from weaker adversaries. ultimately, though, the colonial era ends. You could replace this wonder with something else that represents colonialism.)
  • can be built by any city and placed on a land tile adjacent to a harbor with a lighthouse of any city on another continent.
  • Doubles hammer and gold production for all cities on the continent
  • reduces loyalty by -20 for all cities except the one in which it is placed.
  • whenever you conquer an enemy city on that continent, you now have a third option added instead of razing or occupying. You may now "imperialize" it. an imperial city remains in the control of the opponent from whom it was captured. however, 5 hammers and 5 commerce are redirected from the city to cities of your own empire, with order of distribution being determined by order of city construction for each new imperial city added. an imperial city also always has open borders with the nation that owns the EIC. imperial city status is maintained as long as there is at least one unit of the EIC owner in the borders of the city. a civilization may grant imperial city status through diplomacy.
  • The EIC becomes obsolete upon the discovery of globalization.
  • Requires colonialism.
Silicon Valley
(the right side of the tech chain is barren of non-military stuff. I really liked the gold-science mechanic in earlier Civs. Silicon valley creates a commercial-research nexus that would help America if they wanted to pursue a space victory or to exploit it for military victory. Silicon Valley is also a unique and historical "district" that is worth inclusion in Civ games. Finally, I want to give science-victory people a reason to research computers!)
  • can be built by any city that has a commercial hub with a stock exchange, and a campus with a research lab, in a hill tile with charming appeal or above adjacent to the campus.
  • the owner may now convert a percentage of their gold output into science, or science back into gold.
  • upon research of computers, any friends of the owners receive the same bonus.
  • any civilization that has no research labs receives a -25% penalty to scientific output.
  • requires computers.
Neom (for those who aren't familiar, wikipedia article)
(Neom doesn't exist yet, but I am fascinated by the concept. It's kind of a super neighborhood that puts the cherry on top of tall play. But it's most important function is to reset the clock on other types of victories. I kind of want to open up a tall playstyle that is not super focused on any one victory condition. The idea is that the enormous investment into, and development of Neom would be so impactful on the leading minds of world civilization, that it would interrupt progress on many other fronts. this is, of course, putting it in the game as the Saudis want people to perceive it - but hey I didn't know that a big clock could give your government an extra policy...)
  • May be built in any tile with a breathtaking appeal.
  • Creates a second "city" in that spot. This second city, upon construction, starts with the same yields (food, faith, culture, hammers, science, gold...) as the city that built it. Upon creation of the second city, that city may place 3 free districts anywhere within the territory of the first city, including on top of luxury and strategic resources, with all of the respective adjacency bonuses. Both the building city and Neom receive the bonuses of these new districts.
  • Neom has the following effects: it halves the diplomatic score of anyone with 10 or more diplomatic victory points. It reduces the cultural influence of any civilization, on the owner of Neom, to 0 - as if they had never discovered the other in the first place. It starts with 0 followers of any existing religion, and all of its citizens are "agnostic", with a holy-city level of religious pressure. It automatically resets any space project, any exoplanet launch, and doubles the production cost of all space projects. It functions as a second capitol which must be conquered to attain a conquest victory. All of these effects are also felt by the builder. All of the diplomatic crises can be triggered by Neom - including if the builder itself converts it.
  • It doubles the score of the owner.
  • The builder must have one of the future governments, and must have research Robotics.

Some months ago on the Site Feedback forum, I'd suggested a thread with a title very much this be made sticky. The response was rather curt, but it seemed there was a willingness to indulge at the time, if tentatively. https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/is-there-a-process-for-proposing-a-sticky-thread.649610/

I think this one well-deserves to be. Seems to be strong interest, relative to the Ideas forum anyway. What do you guys think? Feel free to chime in on that thread or contact Leif more directly.

Last edited:
Some months ago on the Site Feedback forum, I'd suggested a thread with a title very much this be made sticky. The response was rather curt, but it seemed there was a willingness to indulge at the time, if tentatively. Check it out.

I think this one well-deserves to be. Seems to be strong interest, relative to the Ideas forum anyway. What do you guys think? Feel free to chime in on that thread or contact Leif more directly.

Yeah, it seems like a good idea to me. It could open space for people to comment on other things they want, like new units, districts, buildings...

As city States I would sugest Bois Caïman with faith bonus.

I feel this Game need to represente a little better the Afro-American, I guess Haiti deserve at least the city state where in a Voodoo ceremony begins their revolution.

The Vegas Strip
World Wonder
Unlocked by:
Advanced Flight
Permanent Effect: After completion, your rock bands with at least one promotion will respawn on the Vegas Strip after breaking up (only once per band). You can purchase rock bands with gold instead of faith.
Immediate Effect: Gain a rock band with 1-3 random promotions Feeling lucky?
Requirement: Must be built on a desert tile adjacent to an airport.
Comments: Not the biggest fan of the rock band system I admit, but would like to see a later-game wonder that both links to aerodomes and to desert tiles. Lot of different ways to go with Vegas, like gold and entertainment amenities, but tying it in with rock bands is a good tie-in to cultural victory. The effect represents how Vegas has become a haven for rock bands that get sick of going on tours.

Last edited:
Yes, I think we need more late game wonders to make the end game more fun. Here are my proposals for some:

Empire State Building
Flight
Must be built on a flat land adjacent to the city center with at least 15 population

+2 culture
+2 gold
+2 production
+2 housing
More 0.5 of production and 0.5 of gold for each population in this city.
Doubles the adjacency bonus for all districts in this city.

Wall Street

Capitalism
Must be built on a flat land adjacent to a commercial hub with a stock exchange

+10 gold
+2 amenities
+5 points for great merchant.
+2 capacity for trade routes
Your international trade routes grant +1 gold for each district in the city of origin.

Burj Al Arab
Composites
Must be built on the coast and adjacent to city center

+24 tourism
+8 gold
All generation of tourism in this city is converted into gold.
Tripled tourism of all shopping centers throughout your empire.

Pentagon
Mobilization
Must be built on flat land in your capital

+5 points for great general
All military units purchased or produced in this city receive an extra promotion.
Reduces the cost in gold and production of purchasing military units by 25%.

Museo Guggenheim Bilbao
Globalization
Must be built on a flat land next to a river

6 slots for great works of art
+4 appeal to all tiles in this city
All great works of art or artifacts in this city provide +2 science

Atacama Large Millimeter Array
Social Media
Must be built on a flat desert

+5 points for great scientists
Reveals all eurekas for remaining technologies.
+50% science to all your cities that are within 6 tiles from this wonder.

To avoid snowballing, important scientific wonders are on the cultural tree and important cultural wonders are on the scientific tree.

Top Bottom