Suggest your own world wonders, natural wonders and city-states

If we don't get Alred the great as a leader, I'd love to see Wessex as a cultural or militaristic city-state.

If we don't get Alred the great as a leader, I'd love to see Wessex as a cultural or militaristic city-state.
Isn't Winchester already on England's city list? As much as I'd like to see an Anglo-Saxon/Wessex civ, I don't feel a pressing need for a Winchester city-state. If we're going to balkanize more city-states out of the British Isles, how about St. Helier or Castletown or something?

Here are some suggestions for new wonders that I think are both cool in themselves and would augment gameplay.

Rock-Hewn Churches: Select any additional religious belief that has not already been chosen by another player; must have founded a religion, must be situated on hills adjacent to a mountain; city acts as a second holy city if not one already

Cairo Citadel: Must be built adjacent to city center with medieval walls; +15 city strength, additional city attack, +2 GG points per turn

Other wonders that would be cool, but I am not sure about what they would do:

Parthenon, versailles, Crystal Palace, ???

Last edited:
Rock-Hewn Churches: Select any additional religious belief that has not already been chosen by another player; must have founded a religion, must be situated on hills adjacent to a mountain
I'd like to see it too, if it doesn't happen to be the unique infrastructure of Ethiopia. :mischief:

I particularly preferred that Church of Saint George (or Bete Giyorgis, if they prefer to name it that way) were a wonder of the world. As it looks like there will be no new wonders in the Ethiopian Pack, I don't think we will have this as a wonder. Of course they can add later, but I don't think they would when they could include it with its civ.

So we consider that Rock-Hewn Churches improvement is a very likely bet at this point. They can go to unique building, but I think they would be better as improvements.

I particularly preferred that Church of Saint George (or Bete Giyorgis, if they prefer to name it that way) were a wonder of the world. As it looks like there will be no new wonders in the Ethiopian Pack, I don't think we will have this as a wonder. Of course they can add later, but I don't think they would when they could include it with its civ.

So we consider that Rock-Hewn Churches improvement is a very likely bet at this point. They can go to unique building, but I think they would be better as improvements.

How do you know that this is very likely? Pure speculation, or has the developer or a leaker said something? Why would it be e an improvement as opposed to a wonder? Farms and mines are improvements... seems kind of low tier for something so grand.

How do you know that this is very likely? Pure speculation, or has the developer or a leaker said something? Why would it be e an improvement as opposed to a wonder? Farms and mines are improvements... seems kind of low tier for something so grand.

Speculation, we have no idea what the Ethiopian civ will look like. As I said, I don't think Church of Saint George will be a wonder because there is no wonder being included in the Ethiopian pack, it can be included in another pack later, but I think it is less likely. Therefore, Rock-Hewn Churche has a good chance of being an improvement, or else Stela/Obelisk. I don't know enough about Ethiopia's history to think of another infrastructure that is also very likely.

But, if we get Church of Saint George as a wonder, I expect something related to loyalty and religious defense.

Last edited:
Speculation, we have no idea what the Ethiopian civ will look like. As I said, I don't think Church of Saint George will be a wonder because there is no wonder being included in the Ethiopian pack, it can be included in another pack later, but I think it is less likely. Therefore, Rock-Hewn Churche has a good chance of being an improvement, or else Stela/Obelisk. I don't know enough about Ethiopia's history to think of another infrastructure that is also very likely.

But, if we get Church of Saint George as a wonder, I expect something related to loyalty and religious defense.
I see. Thanks for explaining. I am not an expert myself, but there seems to be no shortage of experts here. Maybe they could weigh in.

I thought this was one site with at least eleven churches. I wasn’t under the impression they were widespread anywhere else. My understanding is that it was supposed to symbolize Jerusalem after access to that city was cut off by Saladin. Again, not an expert, it’s just a place I have always found fascinating. Imagine the effort to craft such a place with those sImple tools.

A builder charge being used to make Lalibela doesn’t feel right to me. Why not give then the Chinese Forbidden Palace improvement to build with workers? Great Zimbabwe looks more like it could be a tile improvement to me.

I don't think realistic construction times factor in. Cf. some other Unique Improvements like Nazca Lines, Mississippian Mounds, Ziggurats, or the Great Wall. (Also the Forbidden Palace is Mongolian, strictly speaking, plus there was only one of it. There are a number of Rock-Hewn Churches in Ethiopia, not just St. George at Lalibela.)

While ideally I would like to see the Church of St. George as a wonder, I agree with Xandinho that it seems unlikely. Failing that, it becomes preferable to have a Rock-Hewn Church as a Unique Improvement or as a Holy Site replacement (the Cothon type that completely changes the look of the district and its buildings). A Temple replacement would simply be too small on the map to do it justice.

Since tone is sometimes lost when writing, let me clarify I am trying to learn and not argue.

Ya’ll seem to imply that one specific church should be a wonder, as opposed to the site itself.

May I ask why this is? Even if it is the most grand, I thought it’s importance was as a complex, like the Forbidden City. I thought the site itself was supposed to symbolize Jerusalem. One church by itself cannot do that, can it?

Here is a diagram I saw on wikipedia.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lalibela#/media/File:Karta_Lalibela.PNG

My point was that, while Lalibela is perhaps the best example, there are rock-hewn churches elsewhere in Ethiopia as well, which makes it a prime candidate for a UI or Holy Site replacement, since it seems highly unlikely to appear as a wonder at this point. If it's a UI, you can use several different churches as models, but if it's a wonder, you can call it the Church of St. George or Bete Giyorgis or Rock-Hewn Churches of Lalibela, but focusing on a specific structure will look better on the map, and obviously if you're picking one St. George is the most iconic and recognizable.

Dubai
Trade City-State
Suzerain Effect:
Desert tiles and coastal tiles adjacent to desert tiles provide +1 gold, and an additional +1 gold if the tile contains a resource. After researching Advanced Flight, you can build Burj improvements. A Burj provides +1 culture, +2 appeal, and +1 gold for each adjacent Burj improvement. Can be built on desert tiles coastal tiles adjacent to desert tiles.

Burj Al Arab
World Wonder
Unlocked by:
Globalization
Permanent Effect: +100% tourism to all seaside resorts in your civilization. All entertainment complexes and water parks within 10 tiles provide 20 tourism.
Requirement: Can only be built on a coastal tile adjacent to a seaside resort.

Comments: Dubai makes the most sense as a mercantile city-state, although it should be a tourism booster as well. Since the burj generates culture, they also generate tourism. "Burj", btw, just means "tower". Dubai is known for stretches of skyscrapers running alongside expressways for kilometres.

Dubai has a lot of feats of architecture that aspire to be modern wonders. But I wouldn't go with Burj Khalifa or anything else that boasts the title of biggest tower or mall or stadium et cetera, because sheer size is going to keep getting topped by some new building in Dubai or Saudi Arabia or China or Singapore or what have. Today's Burj Khalifa is tomorrow's CN Tower.

The Burj Al Arab is touted as the world's only seven-star luxury hotel, built on its own island and boasting rooms that can cost $15,000 a night.

Last edited:
Dhaka
Industrial City-State
Suzerain Effect
: +1 food to flood plains and all tiles improved by a disaster, and +1 production as well after researching Electricity.
Comment: The capital of Bangladesh, where the economy has a certain economic dependence on floods and hurriicanes.

Last edited:
Bois Caïman

Religious City-State
Suzerain Effect
:
Eventually give a special unit, the Voodoo Priest, can spread the major religion of Bois Caïman or used as a Healer Unit and -1atk if next to enemy unit.
Comment: The city who held the greatest Voodoo cerimony in Americas, where a Muslim-Voodoo Priest choice the first Triunvirate of Haiti. Jean François Papillon, Jeannot Bullet and Georges Biassou and lead to END of WORLD SLAVERY.

Last edited:
Teotihuacán

Religious City-State
Suzerain Effect
:
+10% growth and +10% construction when building wonders..
Comment: Most important city of North America, his rise and fall is cronologial eras in America history. When Aztecs come this city was already abandoned, but Aztecs create their own mith of the 5th sun as happens in Teotihuacán.
The fall of Teotihuacán around the year 1000 is the reason of rise civilizations as Cahokia, Iroquois, Tupis and Toltecs.

São Miguel das Missões

Industrial City-State

Suzerain Effect
:
May purchase chavalary units with faith and without horse resource.
Comment: The greatest Guarani-Jesuitic city in the Silver Mesopothamia, held one of the biggest battle in Guaranitic Wars 1753-1756

Last edited:
So I answered a similar thread on the Fandom a few months ago:

World Wonder: The West Wall. Unlocks at Theology, must be placed next to a Holy Site. +4 Faith, provide free medieval walls and a defensive bonus to the tile.

Natural Wonder: Lake Nyos. In-game shows as a lake tile, but will occasionally erupt, killing large amounts of people. Provides one extra food to surrounding tiles, and freshwater.

More some ideas for city-states:

Ife
Religious city-state
Sculptures and relics generated by your civilization provide +2 faith, +1 culture and +4 tourism.

Havana
Cultural city-state
The tourism of great works of music is doubled.

Asunción
Militaristic city-state
Military and civil units don't receive movement penalty when crossing a river.

Caral (the most ancient city of the Americas)
Religious city-state
Allows you to build temples before researching theology and they generate +1 faith for each new era after they are built.

Honolulu
Trade city-state
Your international trade routes generate +2 gold and +1 culture for each city with harbor that they pass through, including the city of origin and destination.

Last edited:
Zurich
Mercantile City-State
Suzerain Effect
: +50% production to Commercial Hub districts and buildings while at peace. -20% to levy units from city-states while at war.
Comment: The capital of Bangladesh, where the economy has a certain economic dependence on floods and hurriicanes.
When did Zurich become the capital of Bangladesh? :mischief:

When did Zurich become the capital of Bangladesh? :mischief:
Because I wrote a bunch of stuff and then my account timed during the publish, and apparently that screwed it up and I lost the final version.

Thanks for catching it.

Zurich
Trade City-State
Suzerain Effect
: 20% discount on levying units until the Renaissance era, +50% production to Commercial Hub districts and buildings afterwards.
Comment: Switzerland was once renowned as a mercenary nation whose infantry was regarded as the finest in Europe. All the great powers sought their services, and Switzerland was eager to meet the demand. Too eager, as Swiss pikes would find themselves clashing with Swiss pikes. The toll in lives caused the Swiss to reform their mercenary ways and become the world's most famously (or infamously) neutral nation.

Better, I hope.

Last edited:
City State: Ouidah
Trade City-State
Suzerain Effect
:
It should eventually give a unit called Amazon Warriors (Ahosi/Mino). It have +10atk against Male Units. It can spread Ouidah religion if kill a unit next to a city. (I guess this effect will help Congo's religions issue in world map)

Also from Ouidah I would suggest a World Wonder
The Door of No Return.

Just can be build on coast, it gives +10 gold to all trade routes of this city, also give +5 food and +2house.

Other Wonder from Benin;
Great Mosque of Porto Novo

It was build by Brazilian Slaves returned from Bahia after the Mali Revolt (Mali in portuguese means Muslim, and they had a great revolt in Bahia at 1835.)
As Brazilian Empire was very close to Dahomey Empire, all slaves was deported to nowaday's Benin, some will work as builder and when they build the Great Mosque of the city they don't know how to do a Mosque and build it as a Brazilian Baroque church.
Effects> It can give all faith bonus to all religions in this city. Should have at least 3 religions in this city to build.

Last edited:
Top Bottom