Sword of Islam: Strategy discussion

I thought I'd write a guide based on my experiences with the Fatimids, only because they were somewhat different than the guides already here. Sorry if this is a bit long, but sometimes I find Jusos's and AP's guides a bit light on detail, probably because they're just too much more skilled than I am.

Spoiler :
Setting up

First up, found Cairo and Domyat as they are obviously integral to your economic and industrial base.

Use your third settler to found Aswan in order to grab Upper Egypt for UHV1. It will take a while before the city is up and running, but it will eventually be among your best cities.

In previous games where I had settled Al-Minya rather than Aswan I found Makuria would without fail DoW on me whenever they could. Settling Aswan seemed to negate this for some strange reason (or maybe I was just lucky?), but make sure you keep your defences strongest here just in case. You don't really need many troops in Lower Egypt for the time being, and you also don't need Merkurious getting ideas while you're getting ready for KoJ to spawn.

Build at least 2-3 workers in each city, you don't have time to waste getting your tiles improved. As has been said, send your Berbers around to Hejaz, nicking any rebel workers you find on the way. I believe there are scripts to ensure Medina and Mecca flip to you, though I'm not sure on what conditions, at the very least you have to go and actually visit the cities I believe. Medina's forces were too strong for me, but I killed a couple without losses and went down to Mecca. Taking Mecca at the loss of one Berber, Medina subsequently flipped (possibly due to combat influence from the earlier victories?). In any case, you now have Hejaz for minimal investment, meaning you just have to claim the Levant now for UHV1.

UHV1 - Halfway there, just take out the Crusaders

At this point it's all infrastructure and improvements. Make the obvious choices before gearing up to invade the Levant. I started preparing around 1050, with Cairo (mined) and Medina producing the bulk of my forces (plenty of trebs, Berbers). Alexandria and Domyat can make nice contributions of axes and spears with the few hammers they have. Mecca and Aswan should still be too underdeveloped to contribute significantly.

KoJ should be a cakewalk with enough trebs (min. 4). I dialled down science for a few turns to hire a few mercs as additional fodder. My preference is to let KoJ found Aqaba (and save me having to build an extra settler), which they should do as long as Tyre and Acre are both existent. Hopefully they will have sent a few units on a futile attack by this point, making your life a whole lot easier. A quick sweep will net you Transjordan and Palestine. I got even luckier and KoJ wasted even more troops taking Damascus, meaning that was easy prey as well.

PoA is a bit of an unknown quantity and what they do depends to a large extent on who their neighbours are. In my case they seemed to thinking thumping me while I was fighting KoJ was their best bet, so I quickly brokered peace as KoJ was the immediate threat. Try not to mess around too much taking their cities, you have a time limit and you also don't want to be DoW'ing on anyone else if possible. In my case PoA survived as my vassal in "the County of Edessa". Once UHV1 is checked off, you can liberate their cities back to them (in my case I liberated Antioch, Tripoli, Homs and Ar-Raqqa) to reduce costs/stability and form a nice buffer.

Whilst you're doing all this fighting you should be focusing on infrastructure, because once you've completed UHV1 you'll need to be preparing for your invasion of Iraq while at the same time getting UHV2 complete.

UHV2 - Missionary Mania

Try to build as many missionaries as possible. The earlier you can trigger that golden age from UHV2, the better you'll be able to prepare for the Abbasids. Spreading Shia to the big Byzantine cities that are likely to only have Orthodoxy helps a lot. If Merkurios manages his cities well enough they're going to be nice large cities you'll want Shia in. But otherwise spread wherever you can, grow your cities as large as you can afford, and if necessary use persecutors on any of the bigger ones with only 1 or 2 other religions (I only ended up persecuting Sunni from size 16 Domyat, leaving Shia). Great Saints probably help, but I didn't get any in time sadly.

UHV3 - Mesopotamia and Jihad

Build Trebs ASAP. I probably had about 12, with another few and a bunch of cats later on, when I began my invasion of Mesopotamia. Hire a whole stack of Mercs as you'll need a lot of fodder, and hopefully you have a truckload of Berbers. I didn't end up needing the cats in the end as I caught the entire Abbasid army in the middle of the desert trying to spring a surprise attack on the Levant.

Chances are you wont collapse the Abbasids before they manage to call a holy war (assuming they can). In my case a bunch of Sunni factions DoW's on me. Ghaznavids, Ghorids and Oman were all obviously too far away, although I could've done without losing the trade routes. Conveniently the Seljuks were busy with the Byzantines, Georgia and the Mongols, though on an alternate playthrough they completely wiped out my forces when they were just dealing with the Mongols. Rum is probably your main concern, although hopefully they're fighting someone else. At the very least they'll also be dealing with Mongols, wont have so many troops that you can't send in quick Berbers to harry them, and you'll have PoA as a buffer still hopefully.

Collapsing the Abbasids can be a big ask. I had to take them all the way down to Kufah and Wasit before they did.

Other notes:
Makuria vassal'd after a brief war while I was fighting PoA. Yemen also vassal'd after they had finished off the Zengids. Only Antioch really helped in any significant way, although the Makurian and Yemeni troops often provided a distraction for the barbs that spawn in the Arabian Desert.

Always have enough siege weapons when invading Iraq. While you can build more after the attack begins, the closest cities like Jerusalem, Damascus and Homs are already quite a trek from where your frontline is going to be, so make sure you take enough with you in the first place to keep the momentum going. You're racing against the clock on both the UHV, and potentially others joining in on the Jihad against you. As soon as you collapse the Abbasids and take Baghdad, the game should be over.

Build Berbers in every city once any more infrastructure is pointless. They are fast, both on the roads around to Northern Iraq and even crossing the Arabian Desert.

Anyway, I'm doing well as Makuria, and can now produce an army that can beat Mamluk forces in a straight-up fight. The problem is that they can't get to Domyat in time for the UHV.

Can you launch the attack earlier? Maybe use mercs to trash the first few cities so you can save your trebs for Cairo and Domyat/Alexandria? Personally I crashed through without any troubles, and I'm a major builder who always has a serious issue with building up big enough militaries.

The trick is NOT to fight the Mamluks but instead dow on the much weaker KoJ. Mamluks will open borders with you so you can quickly assault Gaza and/or Acre without much trouble.

I have a sort of general question: what is the best strategy to get vassals? I have tried to go for the Antioch religious victory four times now, but I have the greatest difficulty with the vassal condition. My latest try is attached here. I've only got 50/100% for the first condition, since I have avoided using persecutors to avoid angering other civs.

As far as I understand vassalisation, you need to have overwhelming force and defeat them in battle. But take for instance Karaman in this save. They have a single city left with a few defenders, and are not only battling me but also the Byzantines and Ottomans. Yet they stubbornly refuse to vassalise. What could I have done to make them more likely to vassalise?

Attachments

• Antioch.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.3 MB · Views: 86
I often face the same problem. It is easier for some civs to get vassals and certain civs like to vassalize to their favorite civ, for example Rum would vassalize to Seljuks. I discovered that one needs to leave the last defender in the last city to vassalize the most stubborn civ. But sometimes even that trick just does not work at all or by the time they ready to vassalize they just collapse :dunno:

I had the same problem with beylik, so i eventually killed, i think that having a large army helps a lot. I was able to vassalize ak koyonlu, georgia and safavids.

Did anyone try the Sindh UHV with the new timeline in 0.4.0? I'm really struggling to become the most productive empire. You start in 1010 or so and the UHV triggers in 1150, so not much time left...
I built the capital 1NW to grab the lemons, more floodplains and hills, just a much better site. Other cities were Thatta and on in the north to get horses, hemp, cotton&some hills. Then I only build granaries,blacksmiths, and some workers+settlers. Settled the city that grabs stone&sorghum in the west, and the one further west that grabs fish, dates, iron&oasis. Then conquered Multan but its obviously not much help for the UHV with its low production.
With all that cities i managed a pityful 8th place in production according to the demographics, with only half the production of the best civ! :(

So, any tips? Expand more maybe, or even conquer more of Punjab? Sindh always gets dogpiled, so military adventures are dangerous...

Ok, managed it on the 2nd try. Used the same city sites with more micromanagement, and managed to build the Rani Ki Vav in Thatta, where I didn't spread Shia. Then just use a golden age which increases hammer output by roughly 50%. So Caste System is better than slavery in that case, to get a GP quickly. Also, +4/+5 diplo boost with the Indian Clans is nice. Now proceeding to crush those heathens :mad::mad::mad:

Finally suceeded as Makuria. Now playing a game as Yemen.

Congrats! Yemen is kinda fun, although it can be a tad lonely. I had the unfortunate privilege of the Mamluks wiping everyone out and sending a massive army down the Hejaz. If I had taken another few turns to research the tech for coffee I think I probably would've actually lost the game.

Anybody wants to try writing strategy for Malwi? ;)

It's not officially released and may change any day, so maybe not yet? ;)

Congrats! Yemen is kinda fun, although it can be a tad lonely. I had the unfortunate privilege of the Mamluks wiping everyone out and sending a massive army down the Hejaz. If I had taken another few turns to research the tech for coffee I think I probably would've actually lost the game.

For me it was the Abbasids. Perhaps I should have converted to Sunni earlier, but I really liked playing as Shia.

Edit: Is there a way to keep doing so and not be squished?

If i want to get into understanding SoI, and have no experience with the area history, which Civ would then be easiest getting into the mod?

Well if you don't want anyone to spawn on your backyard, I would suggest Ottomans. Otherwise Byzantium.

The experience differs significantly depending on choice of Civ. Do you want a game with a good chance of winning the first try? Then the Abbasids are a good choice. Do you want to fight a massive Mongolian invasion and be slaughtered? Kwharezimid is the way to go. Try to endure through trials and tribulations over the centuries, each one more difficult than the other? Byzantines await. Find yourself in relatively well-known areas with a small, compact civ? Antioch or Jerusalem. Have a fairly straightforward game? Mamluks or Ottomans. Play a safe isolationist game? Yemen, Georgia or Armenia. After your first game, you will be familiar with the area around the Civ, but not be prepared for what awaits furhter away, e.g. India.

For me it was the Abbasids. Perhaps I should have converted to Sunni earlier, but I really liked playing as Shia.

Edit: Is there a way to keep doing so and not be squished?

I never converted. Building a reasonable military and fostering alliances to keep major powers busy is all you really need. What year are the Abbasids coming down on you? I would've thought they'd be too preoccupied to get to you before the Mongols collapse them.

If i want to get into understanding SoI, and have no experience with the area history, which Civ would then be easiest getting into the mod?

I started with the Ayyubids. You wont win the UHV first time around, but of all the familiar civs with a familiar leader, it's probably the easiest until the bad events for them in the second half of the 13th century roll around.

Top Bottom