1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

TECH Errors Corrected Heuristically

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Creation & Customization' started by Kraken98, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Kraken98

Kraken98 Chieftain

After seeing some mods that monkeyed with the tech tree, I decided that I would like to correct some of the glaring defects and oddities in the tech tree, as well as extend it both back into prehistory, and on into the Future. Archery --> Wheel? Printing Press --> Metallurgy? Internet without Computers? Mobile Tactics --> Particle Physics? So without further ado, here's the tech setup I was thinking of. Tech Errors Corrected Heuristically
    Please add any criticism you may have to help flesh out this idea, correct sneaky errors, suggest effects, reroute my tree or the connections in later eras.

I appreciate anything you guys would be willing to pipe up about.

2. Gilgamesch

Gilgamesch Ancient Alien

Hmm iam curious about what mods are you talking)?

3. PawelS

PawelS Ancient Druid

For me the weirdest thing in the tech tree is Theology leading to Compass. Perhaps it's supposed to be the "moral compass" ;)

4. Kraken98

Kraken98 Chieftain

@Gilgamesch: I've been inspired in part thanks to the Community Call to Power Mod, the Civ IV Caveman 2 Cosmos concept, Beyond the Future, the Prehistoric Mod, and a bit of Beyond Earth (which is looking about as good as a Mod :))

@PawelS: I very much agree, Religion to Education makes sense due to the religious and educational influence of monasteries and other religious buildings throughout history, but Religion to Compass? Either it's like a "moral compass" as you said, or maybe it has something to do with "God, gold, and glory".

5. AW Arcaeca

AW Arcaeca Deus Vult

Maybe it has to do with Jesuits wanting to spread their religion to the New World? :dunno: It's an idea...

6. Gilgamesch

Gilgamesch Ancient Alien

Lol, i thought something similar, also since i created the new tech tree for CCTP (not released yet) with more then 600 technologies.

I can say its not always possible to make historic correctly pre requests.
    At least not from the view of game balancing, but i think i have done a not so bad work at all;)

7. UncivilizedGuy

UncivilizedGuy The Village Idiot

@PawelS: I'm in the process of researching and constructing a tech tree and was wondering the same thing. What I discovered is the Chinese invented the compass, not for navigation, but for a spiritual form of urban planning believe it or not. So there is your connection. :rolleyes:

8. PawelS

PawelS Ancient Druid

That's interesting, according to wikipedia it has something to do with feng shui. I'd never have thought of that :)

9. Kraken98

Kraken98 Chieftain

@Unicivilized:Would you care to talk about that a bit more? You've piqued my interest, and it'd be handy to have a back-up connection reason.

10. UncivilizedGuy

UncivilizedGuy The Village Idiot

@Kraken98: Here is an explanation for the compass.

11. Kraken98

Kraken98 Chieftain

Sorry

Attached Files:

12. bouncymischa

bouncymischa Synthetic Genie

Always interesting to see what different ideas people have for future technologies -- I've been working on an expanded incarnation of my own Future Worlds mod, so I've been pretty focused on my own ideas. Seeing what other people have come up with is a breath of fresh air :3

(I'm rather curious what Cloud Seeding will do!)

13. LeeS

LeeS Imperator Supporter

14. bouncymischa

bouncymischa Synthetic Genie

Well, that's what I'd imagine -- it just reminds me of how back in the 70s and 80s it seemed like cloud seeding was the big thing as a hopeful solution to droughts, but it doesn't seem like anything has come of it. So I'm wondering if it'll be more of an Atomic era tech reflecting those early efforts, or a futuristic tech reflecting more comprehensive methods of weather control.

Either way, I imagine there'll be some building that improves the yields of surrounding desert tiles...

15. TinyLittleBirdy

TinyLittleBirdy Warlord

Here's a few I came up with if you want some more inspiration:

Advanced Prosthesis
    Artificial Photosynthesis
    Antimatter Weapons
    Cloning
    Cryonics
    De-extinction
    Directed Energy Weapons
    High Temperature Superfluids
    Hypersonic Aircraft