Teleportation

Yeah, measuring the subjective sense of self will always a little scary. But you can use similar logic to be afraid of falling asleep each night.
But the future will be dominated by those willing to take the chance

That or they will be all dead. :assimilate:

The smiley was funny but inexact. Since the copies would behave just like the originals only the dead would know they are indeed dead. Not even the copies.

Don't get me wrong, I would like to become an adamantium cyborg and teleport to the supermarket everyday as much as the next guy, but I would pass. My meaty body will cowardly take the bus.

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even five hundred would be pretty nice.

On teleportation :
And what of the immortal soul in such transactions? Can this machine transmit and reattach it as well? Or is it lost forever, leaving a soulless body to wander the world in despair?
Sister Miriam Godwinson
(Secret Project "Bulk Matter Transmitter")

I never chose his faction; probably kept playing as the russian scientist...
Zakharov was indeed very powerful, especialy with Virtual Realiity (nodes counts as holo-theatres) and Hunter-Seeker Algorithm (immunity for probe actions). Morgan was great for golden ages super economy. Shame I've lost my copy of Alpha Centauri :(

However a terrible doubt would always exist: It may be that at some point of the transference, while changing the key part of the brain where the "soul" reside, the original consciousness would die being replaced by a new identical consciousness. Since there is not way to know if it indeed happened, such process would always be like a jump into the void.
Who knows for sure the soul "resides" in the brain or that the "mind" is even a function of the soul? If the soul has substance that is not part of the make up of the physical experience, what happens in the brain could just be a receptor from another level of existence outside of the currently known physical reality. The point would only be after the new "shell" comes back online, the "broadcasted" signal just has to "re-connect". I realize this is beyond the radar of those who think there is only the current known physical reality. It would seem to me it would not matter what happens to the "you", if all you are exist only in your memories. Allegedly memories can be hardcoded, and transferred. If not, then it would be impossible to transfer you from point A to point B, ever.

I think what has been stressed for millennia is that there is more than the physical you, and no one really knows how that part of the real you stays constant even if the physical you is changed over and over again with a multitude of different physical experiences. The "you" does not magically move from one body to another, and the actual process may never be figured out, unless we are given knowledge to that which happens outside of what we can only perceive so far and equate with physical existence.

Teleportation as modern sci-fi is not an original concept. All the modern process does is give an avenue for exploring what may or may not be physically possible with the currently known and experienced physical reality. Obviously technology is only needed to control the process and a way to integrate it as some economically feasible function. We would not want people popping in and out of existance wherever they please.

The point about you only being your memories seems to break down for those who have lost access to their memmories. I am not sure most would claim they have actually died and an empty shell is being maintained without any content at all. There is still a you even without having any memmories at all. As explained, the soul retains all memmories even if the physical you, may not currently have access to any of them.

Even in the acceptance of re-incarnation, this is true, although some "glimpses" of past memmories may be allowed access to your current you. It is possible that what we call re-incarnation derived from the ability to teleport. It just added longevity and a speculation for the need to experience life in various different ways. What would be the mechanism for randomly attaching an entity outside the physical to some newly formed randomn physical object? Again the process of popping in and out of existance as any physical object would certainly disrupt the normal process of human society. Much less, not the optimal way to experience life even if possible in a majority of objects.

Reminds me of the movie the prestige with hugh jackman and christan bale. Jackman uses some tech from tesla to clone himself so every night one copy of himself drowns in a locked chamber while the original or clone reappears in the balcony so it looks like he escaped. There's a part where he's telling someone each night I wonder if I'll wake up drowning or be the one to live. Creepy stuff.

Top Bottom