1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

tesbs further flavored civilizations [development thread]

Discussion in 'Wildmana Modmod' started by tesb, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Sephi

Sephi Deity

everything done (except the "lowers faction standings" and the kill all living units. Will do the faction thing soon. Not sure about killing all living units. What about Heroes? If you loose them, why switch to a different civ?). Flavorscreens done (they are python). Which preferences should the Civ have in Flavourstarts? (Bonus, terrain, features, etc.)

For Improvements you need to make a new artstyle, yes.

2. tesb

tesb Emperor

Sephi that is great news :)
    my very thanks!

The kill all living units* is mostly a flavor thing. You can save your heroes by giving them vampire promotion. It would not be a disaster if you don't implement it though. It was also there to emphasize the troop discrepancy between the elite vampires and weak undead horde, eliminating the units in between seems appropriate.

*= vampiric units should also not be affected, so you can save your strongest units (i.e. with lvl 6+)

Did you add a new picture or linked to the calabim? I can provide a custom one (since i can look at the pictures of other civilizations and make new ones with the same resolution)

terrain: hills, plains
    features: forests, haunted lands
    Bonuses: stone/marble/gold not really of importance maybe a bit more isolated start in general.

I will make a general polishing update this week: i will update the vampire phalanx since i am not happy with them, new artstyle, more and better texts, better fitting buildings (i mean the *.nif), etc.

3. tesb

tesb Emperor

@sephi
    any chance to get the tag <PromotionFromCombat> working with promotions?
    i want to make a rage system:
    after one combat you gain the battle lust promotion this promotion lets you get the battle lust II promotion and so on. each battle lust promotion would have a wear off change and would reduce the normal healing, but increase the healing from combat and increase the combat strength in %.

4. Sephi

Sephi Deity

yes, I can add python for that

5. tesb

tesb Emperor

:)
    thanks

6. tesb

tesb Emperor

my update is nearly complete i just need to know how can i implement a different graphic for improvements. i got the *.nifs.
    for example i want to change the appearance for the workshop, so i go to CIV4PlotSystem.xml and add the lines
    Spoiler :
    Code:
    <ArtRef Name="goal:IMPROVEMENT_WORKSHOP"> 
    			<Attribute Class="Improvement">IMPROVEMENT_WORKSHOP</Attribute>
    			<Attribute Class="Artstyle">ARTSTYLE_INFERNAL</Attribute>
    			<Attribute Class="Era">ERA_ALL</Attribute>
    			<Attribute Class="Scalar">bIsPartOfImprovement:1</Attribute>
    			<Attribute Class="Scalar">bApplyRotation:1</Attribute>
    			<Attribute Class="Scalar">NIF:Art/Structures/Improvements/shadowfoundry2.nif</Attribute>
    			<Attribute Class="Scalar"></Attribute>
    		</ArtRef>

however the workshop does not change when a civilization with the infernal artstyle builds a workshop. i know how to implement new improvements, i could for example disable the old workshop and a make new one, but that is not really what i would like to do, i just want to replace the *.nif for certain civilizations.

edit: this is just a test, i am making a unique artstyle for them. i found a tutorial for the cities, but not improvements :(

edit 2: the nif versions differ so i cant just replace the meshes in the old city nif with the new ones, i guess the cities have to stay the same

7. tesb

tesb Emperor

Update:

-Tweaked the Button Art for the Worldspell March of Death (put the yellow star on the picture to keep it consistent with other worldspells)

Spoiler :

-Changed Artstyle to Infernal

-Included some new Buildings models, all unique buildings have fitting models

-Removed Vampire Phalanx (this was never making much sense, vampires are few, so a phalanx is a bit strange)

-Added Vampire Count (replaces Phalanx, same stats, one model unit)
    Spoiler :

(note the aristrakh icon on front and back)

-Changed Souldrinker promotion from +2deathcombat and +15%heal from combat to +3 Xp from combat

-added a frenzy system for all aristrakh vampires (nikephoros, ancient vampires, vampire lords, vampire counts, bruhjas):
    the vampire gains the murderous frenzy promotion after combat (+10%strength +10% heal after combat -10% normal healrate, 10% chance to wear off, stacks up to five times*)
    Spoiler :

-buffed ancient vampires a bit to compensate for souldrinker nerf

-the promotion zombie mob and banshee exclude fear, to avoid picking a redundant promotion

-some pedia entry updates

-tweaked the leader picture of nikephoros

-some minor adjustments

@sephi i include the models for the improvements that i would like to see replaced (just different art)

lumbermill: art/structures/buildings/aristrakh/shadowsawmill4.nif
    workshop: art/structures/buildings/aristrakh/shadowfoundry2.nif
    windmill: art/structures/buildings/aristrakh/undeadsawmill.nif
    quarry: art/structures/buildings/aristrakh/undeadquarry.nif

if you don't want to add those, you can delete them they are not referenced in the xml files (but don't delete the whole folder).
    you can also delete the vampire phalanx model and button art:
    art/units/civs/aristrakh/vampire_phalanx/
    art/interface/buttons/units/vampphalanx.dds

*actually there are 5 different promotions in the code, but they all have the same name ingame, only one is shown in the pedia and they upgrade to each other so only one promotion i shown on your units (similar to the workaround of the banishing weapons)

Notes:
    Besides further pedia entries i am done with the aristrakh. once spehi merged them i will make a new thread with a complete overview. Any suggestions are welcome as always. I assume once they are ingame it will take some time to balance them completely. :)

Edit: I just realized i forgot one folder in the path for buttons of the new buildings in the aristrakh2 update. make sure the buttons for the buildings are in assets/art/interface/buttons/buildings
    (the old wrong path was assets/interface/buttons/buildings)

Edit 2:
    future updates include help text and the graphical only tag for rituals (just to remind myself, when patch 9 is released)

8. lemonjelly

lemonjelly Modding For Ethne

Wow! That model looks incredible!

9. Vavdichal

Vavdichal Chieftain

Very nice indeed. Keep up the good work, tesb.

10. tesb

tesb Emperor

@sephi i forgot to block the herbalist just add the lines

Code:
    <Building>
                        <BuildingClassType>BUILDINGCLASS_HERBALIST</BuildingClassType>
                        <BuildingType>NONE</BuildingType>
                    </Building>

to ARISTRAKH_CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml

or replace the file with the new one in the attachment

11. Sephi

Sephi Deity

ok, done

12. tesb

tesb Emperor

@sephi
    a small update containing:
    - additional pedia entires to bone cage and burial mound written by deadomancer
    - you accidentally switched the button art between burial mound and halls of the dead, i fixed this :)

just replace the three files with the ones in the attachment

urgh i had connectivity problems i re-uploaded the files in case they were corrupted

13. tesb

tesb Emperor

epic destiny for the Aristrakh added:

edit: fixed the dracolich riders

Spoiler :

14. tesb

tesb Emperor

@sephi
    an other update containing:
    -pedia entries for catacombs, vamprie counts and corrupted soil written by deadomancer
    -tweaked the visibility properties of some buildings a bit

just override the three existing files.

15. tesb

tesb Emperor

added two new buildings:

1) Mortuary Enclosure: replaces gambling house, gives 1 :hammers: and 3 :gold:

2) Sacrificial Pit: replaces water well , gives 4 :hammers:

both are more expensive then the originals.

edit:
    @sephi just replace the old files with the ones in the attachment

16. tesb

tesb Emperor

@sephi

i have now played a couple of games as the aristrakh and i think it would be a nice improvement in gameplay if, in addition to upgrading your troops, you could build them as well, but they still would cost population to do so.

for that to work however i need a tag for unitinfos like: <icostpopulation>x</icostpopulation> where x is the amount of population needed (the units should not be trainable if the city does not have enough population)

@graywarden/deadomancer
    i am currently thinking about increasing the cost of the higher tier death pact rituals (the ones that increase the population only in the city they are build in) and decrease the cost of the dark ritual in higher tiers a bit more, so you have a good reason to
    1) use dark ritual
    2) don't sit on a ton of very big cities

i hope you have a good time playing them :)

17. graywarden

graywarden King

Deadomancer adopted to the new game play method a lot faster then I..... haha

If you are able to build the upgraded units, then yes a higher cost for death pact II & III would be a balancer then. If it stays as is, then leave as is, or a small increase in cost only.

18. tesb

tesb Emperor

i await a full fledged aar (after action report) from you guys :)
    and suggestion/opinions

19. graywarden

graywarden King

I was thinking the Banshee Pair/Banshee Triple should have different unit icons. Show the pair as a pair, and allow two spells per turn. Same with the Triple. Make them cost more if needed to balance. maybe two population for the pair and three for the triplets.

20. tesb

tesb Emperor

the banshees already cost more population (2 and 4 respectively). i think giving them the ability to cast multiple spells per turns is really too strong, having access to higher tier spells should be enough. i may change the buttons though :)