Texas Influence On Schoolbooks In The News Again

Yeah, India seemed like a problematic example for a bunch of reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It makes some sense if you consider the French heritage of the Canadian colonies. Even though the French never really heavily populated their colonies, I'm not sure there was all that heavy a movement of immigration from Britain to Canada either (someone please correct me if there was!).

Outside of course of the black and white loyalist refugees who settled Nova Scotia.
Of course there was a great deal of immigration from Britain to Canada. After all, Britain was one of our founding countries, and people came here from there in the 19th century, and after the two World Wars as well. My mother's family is partly from the UK, though I don't know when they came over (never really cared to know, since I consider my Scandinavian heritage more relevant).

Thank you for the information, Valka.

As for the comparison between the United Kingdom and Canada, that was more because both, like the US, are multinational states rather than for any past or current relationship between the two. Canada was a convenient additional example of a decentralized school system in a multinational state that I am at least passingly familiar with.

One could contrast the UK/Canada/USA decentralization with Belgium's system which is, I guess, more centralized despite having very strong national identities within the multinational state.
I'm not sure what you mean by "multinational state." We're multi-lingual, multicultural, and as for "nations"... well, Oda Nobunaga and I have been having a friendly argument about that for years, as to the issue of whether Quebec is a nation or just one province among the others. You could say that there's Quebec's issue, the First Nations situation, and the point of view of the "ROC" (aka "Rest of Canada/English Canada").

When talking about nation states and multinational states the nation part refers to a unified culture and the state us the political organization. So a nation state is a country that is defined by its culture and (generally but not exclusively) contains most if not all of the members of that culture within its borders. A multinational state is one that contains multiple cultural nations.

So Finland, for example, is a nation state because it is defined by its Finnish-ness. Whereas Belgium is a multinational state because it contains multiple cultures.

I'm not the best at explaining that distinction, but hopefully that should be sufficient for you to look up more details on your own.

As for Canada, Quebec is pretty clearly a culturally distinct nation from, say, Ontario. But saying that it is a cultural nation does not suggest it has any distinct political differences from Ontario.

The people of Scotland are not called Scotch, as that's generally reserved for food and drink.

I'm not sure how many differences there are between Scotland and England/Wales/N.I., but the relevant difference is that the National Curriculum does not affect Scotland or independent schools.

I blame my Scotch egg obsession for the error.

Top Bottom