The 24 New Great People

I especially like Imhotep but why on earth is he Medieval instead of CLassical? By the time you get to him, it seems pretty unlikely any worthwhile Ancient or Classical wonders will be left.
I think the better question is why isn't he Ancient? :mischief:

Heck, something that could've been done with Imhotep is to make him an exclusive engineer that Egypt either starts the game with or earns for free very early on (Masonry?), basically giving them a free early wonder of their choice, sort of like how GC have their free Comandantes.

I think the better question is why isn't he Ancient? :mischief:

To be fair, maybe in the future, we should get Great Engineer Points earlier - there are many great builders and planners in Ancient and Classical Era, and it's not like large scale, complicated "industrial" production didn't exist before Medieval Era (the ship building industry in Classical Mediterranean, for example).

Heck, something that could've been done with Imhotep is to make him an exclusive engineer that Egypt either starts the game with or earns for free very early on (Masonry?), basically giving them a free early wonder of their choice, sort of like how GC have their free Comandantes.
That would pair well with another Egyptian leader like Djoser. :mischief:

Thanks Bhousesofelixir, forgot about that. But it does beg the question of why no Classical Great Engineers, especially when they are actually from that era IRL.

I'd like to propose three new Great Generals:

George McClellan
Passive Effect: All of your military units get -2 movement

Douglas Haig
Retire Ability: Target fortified enemy unit is dealt 10 damage. All of your adjacent units are destroyed.

Philippe Pétain
Retire Ability: Activate in your own capital, transfers it to target Civilization you are at war with triggering peace treaty

Philippe Pétain
Retire Ability: Activate in your own capital, transfers it to target Civilization you are at war with triggering peace treaty
Oof. Savage but true. :lol:

How about:

Publius Varus
Passive Effect: Your units get -20 strength against barbarians.

Henri Navarre
Passive Ability: Whenever one of you units becomes fully fortified, it is destroyed.

Arthur Percival
Retire Ability: Activate in a city of population if an enemy unit of half or less strength is adjacent to garrison. City transfers to owner of that unit.

Oh, please - for the love of God - NO!!
The game is already lefty enough with all the CO2 floods the world nonsense, so lets NOT bring racial or identity politics into it.

You're the one bringing that up then proceed to be annoyed at an imagined threat which only you brought up.

How's asking for a female scientist not to have a male icon "identity politics" ?!? :confused:

Imhotep should be ancient era. Have some of the ancient/classical wonders give engineer points or just have him available to buy via faith.
Imhotep = In my humble opinion: this, engineering person

Kinda pretty list and good abilities... specially the ones related to CSs

Despite of the inclusion of some rather obscure characters.. Tupac Amaru? Dandara? really? if you need an industrial great general.. there is a plenty of them to choose .. Helmuth Von Moltke or Robert. E. Lee do cover countries / areas not represented in this GP roost.. even El Mahdi to follow Firexis' obsession with anti-colonial insurgents

Helmuth Von Moltke and Robert. E. Lee are from places overrepresented by Great People, it's pretty nice to have Great People who run away from the usual European/American that everyone is tired of seing everywhere.
Tupac Amaru II is a very pleasant choice, and I don't see him as obscure. He led an important anti-colonial rebellion in Peru.
Dandara was a warrior heroine who domineted the techniques of capoieira, the fact of being a woman makes her even more pleasant, and I also don't see her as that obscure. Warrior monk in the industrial age, however, is quite useless.

Last edited:

Despite of the inclusion of some rather obscure characters.. Tupac Amaru? Dandara? really? if you need an industrial great general.. there is a plenty of them to choose .. Helmuth Von Moltke or Robert. E. Lee do cover countries / areas not represented in this GP roost.. even El Mahdi to follow Firexis' obsession with anti-colonial insurgents

LOL, what country does Robert E. Lee cover that isn't already covered by the GP roster? The CSA?

LOL, what country does Robert E. Lee cover that isn't already covered by the GP roster? The CSA?
I mean, we already have southerners on the roster... Breedlove, Joplin, MacArthur, Nimitz, etc., so the former CSA is "covered" already too. :crazyeye:

It's the modern wokery - it gets everywhere these days.

All I can say is whomever the 24 new great people are, I sure hope we get more representation from Africa, the Middle East, the Americas (not USA), and Southeast Asia which are seriously lacking in great people at the moment (no, Comandantes Generales don't count).

Off the top of my head, some suggestions: Ahuitzotl, Ibn Battuta, Ibn Sina, al-Khwarizmi, Evliya Celebi, Turgut Reis, Yaa Asantewaa, Zaha Hadid, Toussaint L'Ouverture, Juana Inés de la Cruz, Emilio Aguinaldo, etc.

Having also Le Corbusier, Frank Lloyd Wright or Mies van der Rohe would be cool, maybe even Rogelio Salmona or Oscar Niemeyer

Having also Le Corbusier, Frank Lloyd Wright or Mies van der Rohe would be cool, maybe even Rogelio Salmona or Oscar Niemeyer
I just want literally everything Frank Lloyd Wright ever designed as wonders in the game. :love: Unfortunately, I suspect most if not all of his work is under copyright. (Alas, confirmed.)

Corbusier is a really interesting figure for me; I've taught a bit on the [failed?] dream of high modern cities, pulling from Corbusier himself but also anthropologists like James Holston, looking at Corbusier-inspired cities such as Brasilia. Unfortunately as @Zaarin mentioned with recent architects copyright becomes an issue. However, if you're into Corbusier, check out Kenzo Tange in the Babylon pack. Tange took Corbusier's modernist (each space has a function and is rationally situated to maximize that function) and often brutalist (heavy use of unadorned concrete) aesthetic and combined it with organic elements. Here's his cathedral in downtown Tokyo.

Top Bottom