1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The attack on Syria

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Hrothbern, Apr 12, 2018.

1. red_elk

red_elk Warlord

The OPCW reports doesn't add any evidence confirming your version - if these people were telling the truth, there was no need to put them under duress.
    But the fact that no traces of nerve agent were found, confirms that rebels were lying about nerve gas attack in the hospital.
    And people who used this as pretext for attack against Syria most likely knew that rebels staged it.

2. Bamspeedy

Bamspeedy We'll dig up the road!

Does the OPCW report say anything about a dust storm? They never touched that aspect at all, to confirm or deny, did they? The medical student was obviously reading a script, much more obvious than Skirpal, looking to the side far more often and obviously than Skirpal was glancing down. Hers looked more genuine, and all your side can get from her statement is she will 'go back to Russia in the long term' (or is it just a ploy to give Russians hope that she does so she doesn't get put on a hit list if she outright blames Russia and says she will never go back?).

1. Is chlorine a chemical weapon?
    ......I know chlorine is more readily accessible, so chlorine is easier for the rebels to get their hands on.....so the fact it was chlorine lends itself more to the possibility of rebels, but it doesn't mean it couldn't have been Syria, if we were to assign % chance of who was responsible.
    2. Is chlorine a banned chemical weapon?
    ...if not it should be.
    3. What are the symptons of a chlorine attack vs. a nerve agent attack?
    ....Funny how 'the western media' only focuses on the fact that chlorine was found, while Russian media only focuses on the fact no 'nerve agent' was found.
    4. How long does chlorine remain in the soil for evidence to be found? (likely chance of the evidence they found was left over from previous bombings/war., and the odds the previously chlorine-bombed spots were the exact same spots as the new bombs....)
    5. Odd how journalists favorable to the regime were allowed in when OPCW were blocked.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  3. red_elk

red_elk Warlord

Does it suppose to? It's not a weather forecast studio.
    OPCW did its job - the rebels claimed that people were exposed to nerve agent and OPCW was looking for its traces. Didn't find any.

I did the same on several occasions in my life, such as diploma defense. If I read something from paper, it doesn't mean that it's written by somebody else, much less that I'm lying or under duress. Yulia Skripal was also reading from her own notes, which were shown on TV.

What else she could realistically say? She couldn't say she's being held against her will and not allowed to contact with friends and relatives, which certainly looks like a possibility. But she definitely could blame Russia in attack, if she believed that's the case. Litvinenko did it at the first opportunity.

4. Bamspeedy

Bamspeedy We'll dig up the road!

Exactly, so of course it doesn't 'provide evidence' of my claim because it was never supposed to be part of their report. What you didn't mention is that it doesn't support the claim that goes against my claim either.

And your notes were to the side and above you? How odd. At least Skripal's was down in front of her, where most people would put their notes.

You may recall there was many who thought her speech was scripted, I would't be surprised if you weren't one of them. If she wasn't allowed to say certain things, why would she be allowed to say she wanted to go back to Russia? If she was free to say that, they why wouldn't the rest of her statement be genuine.

5. red_elk

red_elk Warlord

One of your claims was that student and doctor testaments were flat out lie - I only replied that it is not substantiated by anything and that OPCW report doesn't make it more likely too.

What position of notes have to do with... anything?

The rest of her statement might be genuine, but she is obviously not allowed to say everything.

6. innonimatu

innonimatu Warlord

Is it ending, finally?

I do wonder if this is part of a deal with Turkey, over the saudi thing. Odd things happen in the Middle East.

In any case if this happens Trump will have delivered on one more electoral promise. It takes an outsider to downsize the empire's worldwide network of bases?

7. Bugfatty300

Bugfatty300 Buddha Squirrel

More likely a Christmas present for Trump's benefactors in Russia. Maybe now Putin's soldiers can blunder about without getting "spanked like children."

8. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

And Turkey. The Turks are apparently getting ready for a new campaign to crush the Syrian Kurds once and for all, for the glory of the gloriously glorious Sultan Erdogan the glorious.

9. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

Trump apparently announced this out of the blue. The White House and Department of Defense referred questions to the other as neither was apparently in the loop.

10. inthesomeday

inthesomeday Immortan

Do conservatives generally believe that American troops in Syria would have possibly prevented Erdogan’s genocide of the Kurds? Maybe by accident.

Trump admires Erdogan. Even if the troops had stayed in Syria for decades they wouldn’t have done anything to protect the Kurds, only served as a destabilizing force in the Levant. The Kurds must continue to protect themselves

11. red_elk

red_elk Warlord

US failed to meet their strategic objective, regime change. Since last year it didn't make much sense to continue their illegal military presence in Syria.
    As for the Kurds, after Turkish occupation of Afrin, they already knew that they chose wrong allies. Now, Assad is the least evil for them.

12. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

He's not downsizing anything, don't worry. Whatever drawbacks happen in Syria will likely to be compensated for by escalation in less visible conflict zones, notably a lot of Africa.

13. GoodEnoughForMe

GoodEnoughForMe n.m.s.s.

Yeah I mean as bad as Obama was with drones Trump is a million times worse, he's loosened standards and basically gave the military carte-blanche authroity to bomb anyone and anything, civilians be damned, so highlighting "Trump meeting a campaign promise" is another botched attempt to be contrarian. I mean Trump has spent the last year being a blowhard mouthpiece for Saudi Arabia and glorifying selling tens of millions of dollars to weapons to them. But yeah, downsizing the empire. Sure thing.

inthesomeday likes this.
  14. tetley

tetley Head tea leaf

The U.S. should never have been pursuing regime change in Syria any more than Putin should be pursuing regime change in the Ukraine. Two wrongs don't make a right, though. This battle-for-the-client-states at the expense of the millions of refugees should not be happening.

15. r16

r16 not deity

totally wrong in the sense it clears New Turkey to fight Iran , or something , but it has to wait the local elections .

16. red_elk

red_elk Warlord

This is an opportunity for the Syrian government, to restore control over large part of the country.
    Assad should offer Rojava some level of autonomy and protection against possible Turkish invasion in exchange for returning under central government authority.

17. innonimatu

innonimatu Warlord

News about that OPCW report from last year, about Douma.

The truth, that this "chemical attack" was a set-up cynically used to justify further attacks against Syria, perhaps even a deliberate "false flag" operation, has slowly coming out. Not that it hadn't been obvious from the start, but the official story is just crumbling now that the propaganda campaign has ceased.

However, the most important truths to retain from this episode is that the media happily parrots the propaganda lines of the governments, and that many international (and also the "non-governmental") organizations that are supposed to be impartial are under tremendous pressure to be anything but.

18. red_elk

red_elk Warlord

Nobody cares, it seems.
    Nobody asks questions why Assad would use chemical weapons against hospital, after rebels already agreed to surrender
    Nobody cares about OPCW report which says plainly that rebels lied and there are no traces of nerve agent in hospital and in patients blood.

Thing is, provocation didn't help, they lost.

19. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

I haven't gone into the report @innonimatu but what makes this report by an OPCW advisor more accurate than the previous OPCW report, beyond that it agrees with you?

I was under the impression the best understanding regarding alleged Syrian use of chemical weapons is that it was carried out by elements on the ground operating outside the orders of the Syrian military higher-ups.

20. innonimatu

innonimatu Warlord

No, the allegation started with the claimn on the media of nerve agents, which was debunked within a few days, after the territory was cleansed of the islamic fanatics who had held it and sampling of the sites proved that there were none.

Then the allegations shifted to the use of chlorine, and specifically to those two cannisters. The OPCW report later claimed that the canisters had been airdropped, and only the syrian government could have done that. What has evident even then was that those claims were not based on technical evaluations of the canisters in place. They were just stated without evidence to back them. And what we know now is that the limited studies that the OPCW has made or ordered contradicted those claims, but were suppressed from the report. An honest report would have mentioned them. The preliminary report had been careful not to claim anything about the gas cylinders, but after that I guess political pressure was applied. We do have one former head of the OPCW whose sons were threatened by a certain mustachioed personage...

You cannot be so naive as to think things have changed.