1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The cossacks conversion collection 2

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Unit Graphics' started by Steph, Apr 13, 2003.

1. Steph

Steph Multi Many Tasks man Retired Moderator

Should the highlander be civ colored?

My first idea was t give him a red coat, so he can be used in the "English" army. But the English already have a musketer and a grenadier.
    So second idea is to make him blue, non civ colored, so he can be used for the celts / scotish, together with the 2 handed sword highlander.
    Third idea : keep the coat civ colored, and make the English color red, and the celts color blue, so both could use him.

What do you think?

2. Steph

I was speaking of the saxon

3. Johann MacLeod

Johann MacLeod Duc de Lorraine

oh im sorry, lol, i had a book on military uniforms but they didn't have a saxon musketeer, but i do remeber that the grenedeir was pretty correct. (as you said before)

4. mrtn

mrtn Shaven not stirred

Make him civ coloured. In that case he can be used by different scots/celts if someone wants to make such a scenario. I it's not civ coloured, only one civ can use it at a time. So I vote third.

5. LouLong

LouLong In love with Rei Ayanami

6. Knight_Bond007

Knight_Bond007 Warlord

Hello, Steph. do you need some help around with this units?

7. Johann MacLeod

im voting with the reb, because even when they weren't in the english army, red was ussually the color of choice for the scottish soldiers

8. Costa e Silva

Costa e Silva Caudilho

Steph, i'm thinking about use the hand-cannoners a replacement for Harquebusier to Babylon and Persia, like i did with the AoK Janissary for Turk. The cossacks Janissary will be use like an upgrade for the AoK similar.

What do you think about the "upgrade"?
    It's correct give hand cannoners to those civs?

I'm doing this to make more "oriental" units...

I have the Stronghold Crusader game. The muslin units of that game will be awsome. But i think it's not possible to convert...

9. Costa e Silva

Costa e Silva Caudilho

For who don't use Celts or Scottish in some scenario, the Highlander could be use like a "ancient guerrilla musketman" to england...

Lower stats and cost, but with the "all roads" ability and hill advantage...

10. Johann MacLeod

you coild keep the coat red and have the cuffs or tam civ-spacific

11. Steph

It's not that easy, because the coat is currently civ specific, and I'm not sure the cuff are different. If they share the color of the coat, it may be hard. I'll check this evening

12. Steph

It's not very easy to answer, as some civ like Babylon didn't exist anymore when gunpowder appeared.
    In that case, I suggest you use some "fantasy" units (like the AoK Janissary) for them, and keep the historical ones for historical civ.
    Another solution is to keep the generic units, even if it's not perfect, for the civ that don't have an historical specific units available.
    You can also decide to use "area specific units", and units the Cossacks Janissary as a musketeer replacements for all the "oriental" civs.

I will personnally use the last solution, and I will also make some units not available to some civ.

So European civ will have harquebusier, musket, musketeer, fusillier.

Oriental civ will not have harquebusier. Instead of musket, they will get the Janissary. It will be a bit better than musket, but not as good as musketeer. But then, they will not have a musketeer. When European will discover fusillier, the oriental civ will have the bachibouzouk. He will be better than the musketeer, but not as good as the fusillier.

My idea is to give advantages to some civ as certain period of times. So they will have more units, a bit more powerfull.
    Other civ will have "useless" techs.

Historically, I see it this way : the european are the first to have harquebusier, when they discover the fire arms tech.
    When orientals discover fire arms, it means the see it in Europe, but they don't use it yet.
    Then European "invent" renaissance tactics, with the pike and musket. The orientals starts to use fire arms (with the renaissance tactics), and have "oriental musket" (Janissary graphics). They are a bit better than musket, as they benefits from some progress in weaponry, and are elite troops. Then Europe discovers "Regimental organization", and make musketeer (they abandon the pike). They musketeers are better than oriental musket, etc...

13. Costa e Silva

Costa e Silva Caudilho

I agree with you. Advantages in specific times are good to the "simulator". This is the way i see this game.

I gave me an excelent idea! Use units like AoK Janissary to civs that do not have similars. Now i don't know how i will use the AoK Janissary or even the Hand-cannoners.

So i will boring you one more time:

1- Hand-cannoner exist in the same time of what unit type? Harquebusiers or Musketman? Where they were normal?

2- Could be use, the AoK Janissary, in place of Harquebusier for Turk? And make it predecessor of the cossack's similar?

Thank you. By these answers i will decide where to put then...

14. LouLong

LouLong In love with Rei Ayanami

1/ Same time as Harquebusiers

2/ First part I think so (just an opinion). Second part I don't get the question :D

15. Steph

Your questions do not bother me, but you may get more than what you asked, and I may bother you with the answers!

Artillery was used in Gengis Khan army as soon as the 13th century. In Europe, it appeared during the 14th century, first in Italy (Tuscanny to be precise), then southern Germany. Some references can be found in Flanders in 1314,and then in France and England between 1321 and 1326.

The first French text which really describe such artillery dates from 1338.

The word "quennon" appeared the first time in French texts in 1348. By the way, bombarde means "that makes noise".

Hand cannoners were not used initially, mainly because it was against chivalric principles. It was used first in Italy, then Germany, Flanders and Bruxelles communal troops (mercenaries hired by the English King left Bruxelles in 1314 with such weapons.)

Hand cannon were a lot cheaper than crossbow and bow (3 shillings for a small gun, 66 for a arbalest).

The range was very small (50 meters at the beginning of the 15th century), but the weapon was deadly, and had a devastating effect on morale.

The harquebuse was used later. It was very heavy (20 to 30 kilos at the beginning of the 16th century). Another model, using fuse, a appeared in 1475, and was the first fire arm that could be shouldered and fired by a single man.

The first "mousquet" (coming from the Italian moschetto, or the spanish mosca), wer heavy harquebuse, that needed a sipport to be fire (as for the Swedish musketer of Cossacks). Later models were lighter, but the musket started to be widely used in French army only in 1580.

About your 2nd question, I would consider AoK Janissary as oriental replacement for hand cannoner / harquebuse. You can make them upgradable to Cossack Janissary.

16. Costa e Silva

Costa e Silva Caudilho

Thank you Steph and and LouLong, you are very gentil.

I like your answers a lot Steph. I'm a fanatic for history, but military stuff it's specific and i don't know details. You improve with your answers.

Now all is clear: I will use cannoners to Babylon and Persia in place of Harquebusier. And the AoK Janyssary to Turk.

LouLong, my english is not very good (i never study), so sorry for my "expression" faillure. The "second" thing was that i'm thinking about use the AoK Janissary in place of the Harquebusier for Turk, and made the cossack's Janissary his upgrade, like a turkish Musketeer...

Thank you two again.

17. Steph

Janissary and Spanish musket ready. Don't expect much update before Monday, I'm leaving this week end for a wedding:beer: :love2: [party] :band:

18. Knight_Bond007

Knight_Bond007 Warlord

enjoy the wedding, steph.

19. Nahuixtelotzin

Nahuixtelotzin Huey Tlatoani

I've tested the 17th century Pikeman and it's off center. It got his feet on the southern adjacent tile.

20. Louis-Philippe

Louis-Philippe Chieftain

Excuse me, but how did you do those sprites? Do you have a specific program to extract .bmp files or something like that?