The Fall of Byzantium

Morholt

Prince
1210 AD: The fourth crusade has devastated the already unstable Byzantine empire and it is now on the verge of total collapse. The Serbs and Bulgarians fight for control of the fragmented Balkan, the Spanish are driving the moors off Iberia, and in the east the Mongol horde is about to descend on Europe.

Mod-free scenario, based on the huge mediterranean map by wcis.

Version 1: Released map.

Download here!

The Religions:
Christianity represents Roman Catholicism
Taoism represents Avignonese Catholicism
Confucianism represents Orthodox (Eastern) Christianity
Hinduism represents Imperial Authority
Islam, Judaism, Buddhism represent themselves

Intentional Anachronisms:
- The Western Schism is in effect, but didn't start until 1378 and the first Avignonese pope was in 1309 (hence the lack of a Taoist shrine at the start)
- The Hundred Year's war has started, but didn't until 1337.

Attachments

• balkans0000.JPG
    balkans0000.JPG
    281.8 KB · Views: 3,220
  • byzantium0000.JPG
    byzantium0000.JPG
    269.3 KB · Views: 2,847
  • france0000.JPG
    france0000.JPG
    295.3 KB · Views: 1,912
  • holyland0000.JPG
    holyland0000.JPG
    236.7 KB · Views: 1,848
  • reconquista0000.JPG
    reconquista0000.JPG
    271.5 KB · Views: 1,789
Empires overview

Permanent War
England is at permanent war against France.
The Latin Empire is at permanent war against both Byzantium and Bulgaria.

The Easy:
Byzantium - half of the Empire was lost in the fourth crusade, but they are in a position to recover, with the Latin Empire being very weak and disorganized. Once they are out of the way, the Venetians might be dealt with, and then Byzantium will again be among the great powers of Europe.

France - locked up in a conflict with the English, they are at least likely to be the winning side. Once a great prophet can be generated, the Avignon Papacy will provide the cash boost to drive the English out once and for all. The holy land provides several luxury goods if it can be held.

Turkey - the various Seljuk sultanates have long suffered from internal conflict, but with a strong leader unifying them they are in an excellent position to expand. As long as the Mongols can be kept looking the other way, they will have Anatolia all to themselves.

Spain - if they can drive the Moors out quickly, they will have Iberia to themselves, and be very safe from invasions - France is likely to be friendly. The Spanish can then expand into North Africa or Sicily at their leisure.

HRE - Have the Apostolic Palace with their own religion. Lots of land and good production, but under cultural pressure from several directions.

The Medium:
Mamluk Egypt - One of the largest and most powerful empires at the start of the scenario, they have several things going against them. They are spread out, are constantly harassed by barbarians, and are being invaded both by Mongols and the Fifth Crusade. They do at least have Mecca, and if they can overcome the initial difficulties they can become very powerful.

Mongols - The largest and most powerful empire at the start of the scenario, their economy is in terrible shape and is crashing fast. Raiding neighbors for cash could be a quick fix, but it will be some time before they can get their economy into shape to do some actual conquering.

Almohads - Face many of the same troubles as the Mamluks, but are even more spread out. North Africa does have a lot of unsettled land, and if they can use it they have excellent growth potential.

Venice - Start with an advanced government, have many strong cities and the best fleet by far, but are very spread out. Their fleet allows them to strike anywhere they want, though, and there are plenty of good targets within range.

Papal States - Start out small but have excellent culture and are able to gobble up Sicily should they choose to. Rome gives plenty of extra income.

The Slightly Difficult:
England - Winning against France might prove difficult - they are larger, stronger, and have a holy city. There is also the risk of Spain attacking you while you are busy with France.

Bulgaria - They are large but technologically backwards. The Latin Empires gives plenty of conquering options but they must think twice before going up against a more advanced power.

Hungary - Culturally pressured by Venice and likely to be invaded by both Serbia and Bulgaria, they nevertheless have some decent cities, and will be in a good position if they can recapture Dalmatia from the Venetians.

Sicily - Tend to be culturally pressured by the Papal States and the production is not the best, but they have the opportunity to expand into Tunisia.

Serbia - Start out as a one city minor, but with a very strong army. They can go any direction they choose! Bulgaria and the Latin Empire are especially tempting targets.

The Difficult:
Latin Empire - With a terrible government, poor army, and bad economy, the so-called Latin Empire is not doing well. Both Byzantium and Bulgaria are after their blood, and it will be difficult for them to survive.

Georgia - Tiny, bad cities, and liable to be invaded and burned by Mongols. There is really no easy target nearby, the best strategy might be to wait until the Mongols are occupied elsewhere and then try to steal a few cities from them.

Armenia - Tiny, terrible cities, and squashed between the Mongols, Turks, and Mamluks. The Levant might be a possible target for expansion.

I haven't "won" it, but it is a lot of fun. I haven't tried playing as the Mongols yet but in the few games I did try the Mongols seem come out highest in score. I like the financial civs so I've played Spain and Almohad; I could see Venice would be difficult. When I had Almohad I thought I was doing well but somehow those Mongols seemed to spawn at an incredible rate. I really enjoy this scenario, a lot better than that Civ V stuff which strikes me as a game wandering around in sense of a purpose (but it does have nicer graphics.)

Thanks.:)

Look how lucky I am, I was just going to create this today! Thanks for saving me the time! ;) Downloading now...

Please change the religion of Latin states to Roman Catholicism to meet historical accuracy

They actually are catholic at the start, but they do tend to convert since their territories are mostly orthodox. Not that they live very long anyways.

ah, ok. nice scenario, btw. Only the muslims are to strong and have too much teritory in northern africa

Hi.

I'm playing this scenario and enjoying it! Thanks! :)

I'm playing with Mamluk and I find it (too) easy - with 2 shrines (Mecca and Jerusalem) money is assured and life easy!
The begin could have been thought but as the AI is stupid he had the crusades walk about rather than attacking my cities, so after I could repell those attacks life became easy and I make peace with almost all of them.

Mamluks should be rated as easy and not medium, IMHO.

The Religions:
Christianity represents Roman Catholicism
Taoism represents Avignonese Catholicism
Confucianism represents Orthodox (Eastern) Christianity
Hinduism represents Imperial Authority
Islam, Judaism, Buddhism represent themselves
Can't the symbols be replaced by more accurate symbols?

Yes they can, but that would require a full mod altering the notoriously fiddly gamefonts file.

hi. id like to play but i dont know how to install or load it up. can someone help me out?

WARNING - This map has no coal! At least none that I can find so don't rush that Steampower-RR technology. Not going to help!

I think there is one oil resource on the map.

But my impression is that the AI does not handle the sea very well. I see that Spain after conquering Iberia marches their units across land to fight in north Africa instead of transporting them with boats. I takes forever for them to walk.

IMHO, Byzantium by any means should not fall in "The Easy" category as they are really too weak at the start, especially if Ottoman player is human, there is absolutely no way to survive early human directed attack from the Turks, which have 10 workers at the start (Byzantium - 1), more compact territory, Gunpowder ready to discover with Jannisaries as UU, and enough Knights/Maceman/Trebuchets at the start for early rush towards Byzantium, which is enough to seize at least 2 Byzantine cities, which in contrary, initialy for defence of their cities have only 1 Longbowman per city. Needless to say what happens if the Turk player switch to slavery early, make peace with Baybars and concentrate on sending all armies to the West...

I think that more Longbowmans initially should be added to the Dorylaion and other border cities for making this scenario more balanced.

Top Bottom