The "Fall Patch"

technome

Fission Chips
Greg at 2K has announced that a large patch is incoming some time this autumn.

Announcement

Do we have any idea how long this will take to reach us here on the Mac side of things? I appreciate that things have improved in recent months with the release of G&K particularly and that "patch-lag" has been reduced considerably.

I wonder if Ryan would care to comment, once he has some concrete information?

It'll depend on a number of factors, namely just when the PC patch arrives, our project workload, and also how long it'll take to test a patch of that size.

Since there's a lot of performance changes in the patch, it's likely to be much messier than a simple balance patch.

Will this patch have specific fixes for performance issues on Mountain Lion?

Greg has announced "one more thing" for the Fall patch.

I wonder if we can hope for custom DLL support in the Mac version? Or, following on from the advent of Steam Workshop, will this bring down the final curtain on mod compatibility for Mac users?

Greg has announced "one more thing" for the Fall patch.

I wonder if we can hope for custom DLL support in the Mac version? Or, following on from the advent of Steam Workshop, will this bring down the final curtain on mod compatibility for Mac users?

Yeah, I'll be watching this closely. Including DLL and Steam Workshop support would bring me back to the Mac version. Right now, I don't even have the Mac version downloaded in Steam. It's on my Win 7 partition only atm.

Just glad I didn't pay for a Mac-only version, like the App-store one. Then I'd really feel cheated.

If you look at the files, it lists two Core dylib. Dylib is a dynamically loaded library (DLL). So in theory if the two are identical, and just have C++ code (no OSX specific code), there should be compatibility.

If you run otool -L on the file, it displays a lib file in /usr/local/lib, the stdc++ library and lib system which is where libc resides. So baring some legal complication, you should be able to take a modder's dll source and use it on a mac provided you have xcode.

Hmm, interesting. Based on previous experience with Civ4, I had expected the DLLs to be there just for checksum compatibility, with no operational role. However, these ones do have different file names and extensions, and they are bigger than their Windows equivalents. So maybe Aspyr have split out the DLL code this time. There's presumably no requirement to maintain cross-platform checksum matching for Civ5.

In order to be able to recompile custom DLL code, we might need some Mac-specific library header files. It will be interesting to see if those are forthcoming from Aspyr when the DLL source code is published by Firaxis.

@AspyrRyan

Is there any new information regarding a patch release for Mac? E.g. have you actually started work on it? And if yes, are you still on schedule? That sort of thing.

When the mod is available, wil the game install it automatically?

this morning was released the FALL Patch.
This is a very important patch for the game.... anyone can say us when it will be release also for mac version???
Thanks ;)

Five posts all asking the same question? I don't think it will be answered any faster.

I've just seen this on Aspyr's support page:

Announcement

Quote: "We are currently looking into updating the Mac release to re-sync the two versions. There is no eta at this time..."

It looks like the recent simultaneous releases may have been a flash in the pan.

:(

My steam client is downloading an 8.6 MB patch for Civ 5 G&K Mac right now... is this the "fall patch" or just a "late summer" patch? Or a "very early winter" patch?

I don't know what that is. There's no Steam patch downloading here. If your software version number is below 10.0.2.13 then it wasn't the Fall Patch. It should be version 1.0.1.705

Top Bottom