1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Feeling of Nothing

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Synsensa, Oct 23, 2011.

?

Do you fear nothingness after death?

1. Yes

25.2%
  2. No

60.2%
  3. Downtown

14.6%
  1. Ran88dom99

Ran88dom99 Chieftain

Well if they linked their brains together via magic and then focused on the problem...

So you are saying the brain:body-mass 1:10 ratio is incomplete because brain is more than sum of parts and a larger brain is worth more than its weight in smaller brains. But the exterminator can still kill enough roaches to compensate.

2. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

Logic and brain power isn't a stackable concept.

3. Ran88dom99

Ran88dom99 Chieftain

But immoral actions are. Lots of small ones add up to equal a big one.

4. Synsensa

What is immoral about killing a specifically programmed insect that has no control whatsoever over its actions, has no mind to really think with, and doesn't even feel pain?

5. Ran88dom99

Ran88dom99 Chieftain

You don't know this. Anyway the this is just a joke example while the issue is about cows chickens and fish.

6. Synsensa

I do know this.

It is called science.

7. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

Programmed? By whom? Are you admitting to the existence of a superior entity?

8. Synsensa

By itself. Cells are programmed by itself. That's a pretty basic biologic fact.

9. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Super Moderator Supporter

They are apparently aware enough to survive 350 million years on earth; pretty impressive even if they don't experience life as we do. Why should they experience life like we do? Is our experience superior? If you think so, how do you know that?

10. MantaRevan

MantaRevan Emperor

Why should I care? My brain has decomposed, is likely food for the bacterium and worms. But I won't know it. I'm dead. With no consciousness, I can't exactly be upset about it.

11. MantaRevan

MantaRevan Emperor

"We have nothing to fear but fear itself."
    While probably not in the context Mr. Roosevelt intended, basically the fear of us dying causes us more trouble, more harm, than the actual death itself. Why waste your life worrying? It's all you've got.

12. Ran88dom99

Ran88dom99 Chieftain

The loss of an eternity of happiness is a greater loss than all the loss you have felt in your life.
    If death is defined as nonexistence and self is defined very specifically/concretely then the change on self imposed by time is death.

But this thread is about the fear of death as permanent loss of consciousness. Yes it scares me.

13. Synsensa

Most insects have good group working skills. It is how they survive. Small bands of cockroaches would not survive. Same goes to ants, termites, etc. Most of the time the skills aren't caused by their actions but rather their genetics. They are born to be good at it because it is how they survive.

14. Birdjaguar

So don't be bad mouthing success. ;)

15. Linkman226

Linkman226 #anarchy

You do not need to be aware to survive any amount of time, unless you want to claim sponges, bacteria, and viruses have awareness as well.

They don't need to experience life we do. It's just that the ability to have desires and feel pain is the prerequisite for a being's status as worthy of moral consideration.

16. Birdjaguar

And exactly where do you draw that line?

17. Linkman226

Linkman226 #anarchy

What line?

18. Birdjaguar

The line between those worthy of moral consideration and those not worthy.

19. Souron

Souron The Dark Lord

You did say you want to avoid going there, but I would contest this assertion in the general case; trying to limit attachment can limit the intensity of shared feelings.

"Research has shown that group-based decision-making is responsible for complex behavior such as resource allocation."
    Group based decision making isn't the same as the type of perception that humans experience. Yes hive animals are "smarter" collectively than their individual brains suggest, but this is much like how two computers are collectively faster than one. Neither large colonies of insects nor large computer networks are worthy of moral consideration.

20. Ayatollah So

Ayatollah So the spoof'll set you free

I have some potential bad news ... ;)

:goodjob:
    Although, to me, the coolest thing about the time after my death, is that almost everyone else's life goes on without disruption. The only qualities of mine that I'm deeply concerned that they share are the abilities to appreciate awesome experiences: like music or sunsets or the smell of Arbor vitae. And those are pretty much human universals.

This. Not that I have any idea how to rid myself of them[*], but attachments don't help me appreciate joys. They can only get in the way, as far as I can see.

*Short of becoming a monk, which would likely still fail, and I'm not ready to try.