The Final and Definitive Sandwich Thread

Are any of these sandwiches?

• Total voters
What's the filling? I tried to duplicate it they were tasty.

When I'm looking for a quick snack it's just a mound of shredded cheese and a splash of salsa from a jar. I always have La Victoria brand on hand. Add red chili flakes to taste. Melt butter in pan first, throw in tortilla and pile stuff on, squash with second tortilla. Flip it as soon as the cheese is melty enough to hold it together so the top tortilla gets some butter before it's gone, then flip a second time to finish browning the original bottom tortilla. Cut into six pieces, four is borderline acceptable if the tortillas are really small.

When I'm looking for a quick snack it's just a mound of shredded cheese and a splash of salsa from a jar. I always have La Victoria brand on hand. Add red chili flakes to taste. Melt butter in pan first, throw in tortilla and pile stuff on, squash with second tortilla. Flip it as soon as the cheese is melty enough to hold it together so the top tortilla gets some butter before it's gone, then flip a second time to finish browning the original bottom tortilla. Cut into six pieces, four is borderline acceptable if the tortillas are really small.

Don't have any salsa on hand, would puree can tomatoes work?

Also got some Camembert and Brie cheese.

Didn't think of pan frying it. Lunchtime in 3 hours I'll see what I can do.

Don't have any salsa on hand, would puree can tomatoes work?

Also got some Camembert and Brie cheese.

Didn't think of pan frying it. Lunchtime in 3 hours I'll see what I can do.

Diced is better than puree. If you have diced tomatoes, some chopped onion, and some spice you basically have jar salsa.

Those cheeses are probably wasted on the project, BTW. Simple shredded cheddar works fine.

From the photo it looks like the one you got had refried beans, pico de gallo and cheese.

Brie might work. It melts ok, but generally you use hard cheeses that melt well like cheddar, montery jack, colby, mexican cheeses like asedero.

Puree canned tomatoes won't have much flavor. You could make your own salsa with them though if you have onion and any sort of hot pepper. Just blend together, either by hand chopping and mashing or with a blender or food processor, with some salt and maybe a little water if it's too thick, and you have a basic salsa.

To big for pan, we have pizza stone though.
Normal cheese in fridge. It's Colby or close enough.

IMG_20200410_085008.jpg

We do have onions and some frozen chilli's and fresh capsicum.

I would go with the colby, grated. Skip the baked beans; chili beans are good. Chop up some onions and mix into the tomato with a liberal helping of those chili flakes and you should be fine. Don't short the cheese, don't overdo the beans or salsa.

Ah, but

how are you getting those cuts?

The same way I cut a sandwich in half. I also don't spread mayo on bread with my fingers, or tear roast beef off a passing cow with my hands. I very specifically said eaten with utensils. Many things might be used in preparing the sandwich.

This was a very weak challenge Gori...step up your game!

To eat the sandwich (as a sandwich, i.e. one handed) in the case of quesadilla, requires utensils. In the other case, you are speaking of preparing the sandwich.

Such matters turn on very fine distinctions.

I would go with the colby, grated. Skip the baked beans; chili beans are good. Chop up some onions and mix into the tomato with a liberal helping of those chili flakes and you should be fine. Don't short the cheese, don't overdo the beans or salsa.

Thanks think I'll do that for lunch. I'll post the results.

To eat the sandwich (as a sandwich, i.e. one handed) in the case of quesadilla, requires utensils. In the other case, you are speaking of preparing the sandwich.

Such matters turn on very fine distinctions.

Cutting the quesadilla is just as much a part of preparation as cooking it is. If I served someone an uncut quesadilla with a knife on the side I would be expecting to get stabbed with it.

And if you served an uncut BLT to someone, they wouldn't blink. You're making my point. Some cutting implement is essential to being able to eat a quesadilla as a sandwich.

And if you served an uncut BLT to someone, they wouldn't blink. You're making my point. Some cutting implement is essential to being able to eat a quesadilla as a sandwich.

Uncut is the proper way to serve a BLT. That has no bearing on the proper preparation of a quesadilla. No one eats a quesadilla with a knife and fork. No one that doesn't want to be looked at with pitying glances anyway. If I order a six foot party sub and it arrives uncut it hasn't been properly prepared and can't be picked up and eaten with one hand either.

A six-foot party sub is intended as multiple sandwiches. You intend your quesadilla to be one sandwich. And yet you must cut it in order to eat it as one.

A six-foot party sub is intended as multiple sandwiches. You intend your quesadilla to be one sandwich. And yet you must cut it to eat it as one.

*I* only have to cut it if I am preparing it. If I order a quesadilla and it is served uncut I send it back.

BECAUSE YOU THEN CAN'T EAT IT SANDWICH STYLE! (it's too floppy.)

BECAUSE YOU THEN CAN'T EAT IT SANDWICH STYLE! (it's too floppy.)

No, because someone in the kitchen sent it out without finishing the preparation.

If I order a glass of milk I'm not accepting a cow and a bucket either.

Your argument amounts to the claim that an uncut quesadilla is not a quesadilla.

I might have to start a new thread.

Your argument amounts to the claim that an uncut quesadilla is not a quesadilla.

I might have to start a new thread.

A cow with a sack of grain strapped to it isn't a roast beef sandwich either.

And no one said it was.

Top Bottom