1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Final and Definitive Sandwich Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by thecrazyscot, Apr 7, 2020.

?

Are any of these sandwiches?

1. Sub

85.4%
  2. Burger

61.0%
  3. Hotdog

31.7%
  4. Taco

14.6%
  5. Quesadilla

19.5%
  6. Burrito

12.2%
  7. Open-faced "sandwich"

51.2%
  8. Oreo

22.0%
  9. Icecream "sandwich"

43.9%
  10. Pita

24.4%
  11. Gyro

24.4%
  12. A "half-sandwich" with a single piece of folded bread

82.9%
  13. Calzone

17.1%
  14. KFC Double Down (fried chicken replaces the bread)

9.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. IglooDude

IglooDude Enforcing Rule 34 Retired Moderator Supporter

My wife asked if I wanted a sandwich for lunch, and I said I was hungry and would like two sandwiches, and a few minutes later she brought me a sandwich and a knife and told me to make the second one myself.

See how that doesn't work?

2. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

A meat patty is a meat patty, a burger includes buns

yung.carl.jung likes this.
  3. yung.carl.jung

yung.carl.jung Hey Bird! I'm Morose & Lugubrious

i'm enjoying the hell out of this, exactl my kind of autism semantics!

a burger is a dish, consisiting of a bun, a patty and other topings. not just a meat patty. a burger used to be a meat patty like 200 years ago, when it originated as "hamburg steak" and was the nslowly bastardized into what we call a hamburger today.

we don't get to dictate language, and the majority of burger eaters has clearly decided that the whole dish is th burger, and only the rotund center is the patty

not every nation needs to douse their food in gravy to make it edible. most open-faced sandwiches can be eaten with one hand easily and therefore fall into the earl's definition of what a sandwich is. not that I have problems with smothering things in sauce :D

Sofista and cardgame like this.
  4. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

An open faced sandwich is just bread with stuff on it

a sandwich encloses the stuff with bread

I voted yes for ice cream sandwich and no to open-face

5. Farm Boy

Farm Boy You gave me my own tail?

If it's open faced, it hasn't been sandwiched. A ploughmans' lunch, hunks of cheese and bread, does not become a sandwich if you balance cheddar on rye. You'd have to specify it as sandwich in the language to trigger the grey area.

6. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

quesadilla is clearly a sandwich with two tortillas as the bread.

7. civvver

civvver Deity

I love me some pop tarts but I don't understand how anyone can eat them un-toasted. In that case they do indeed taste like cardboard with some gelatinous filling. But the toasting of a pop tart utterly transforms it. I think the crust is purposely undercooked so when toasted it crisps up to perfection and resembles a butter cookie in texture. And then the gelatinous filling becomes a warm, sugary sensation vs some jelly someone left on your counter. It's remarkable how different the product tastes when properly toasted.

Also many flavors are disgusting. But cherry and smores poptarts are amazing.

My argument for burgers being sandwiches- all the fast food restaurants on their menus list the combo price and then underneath a separate price for sandwich only. Though not all menus explicitly write sandwich only, if you order and the order taker is unsure they will say do you want the combo or just the sandwich?

Hrothbern and Estebonrober like this.
  8. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Jokerfied Western Male

If it doesn't have butter (or margarine if you're an oddball) it's not a sandwich.
    There, I settled it !

9. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

To my knowledge, we deep fry the burger before we put in the bun. But knowing this country, I wouldn't rule it out.

All burgers are meat patties, but not all meat patties are burgers.

10. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

I can get behind this. Vote added.

11. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey The Poster

Violates the picking up by one hand rule. Too floppy.

12. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

What? Floppiness doesn't matter when the filling is bonded in place with melted cheese! I've never used two hands to eat a quesadilla in my entire life, and I've eaten hundreds of quesadillas, maybe thousands.

13. civvver

civvver Deity

Yesterday for lunch I had two slices of toasted white bread with mayo, and leftover (reheated to be warm) meatloaf in between. I did not apply ketchup directly to the item but dipped it in as I ate it.

Today for lunch I had inside a rolled flour tortilla, two slices of deli ham, two slices of deli turkey, plus muenster cheese, mayo and spring mix greens (some fancy lettuce, not sure the kinds, the package just says spring mix).

Now my question to you is, did I consume a sandwich on both days, neither days, or one day (please specify)?

14. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

The first was a sandwich, the second was not. I am happy to count the tortilla as a version of bread, but there is a structural issue. "On bread" is not the same as "fully enclosed by bread."

Burritos and other items where there is a full enclosure of the filling are not sandwiches, and yes that eliminates PopTarts, jelly donuts, calzones, raviolis, fried chicken, all sorts of wraps, and a host of other bread wrapped items.

15. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey The Poster

Do you cut it into eighths and eat one of the eighths at a time? Or do you hold the whole thing in one hand (without folding it into a taco shape, mind you) and eat it?

16. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

The proper cut for a quesadilla is six pieces. On this issue I will brook no argument.

thecrazyscot likes this.
  17. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

That's how I've had it. There's a Texas/Louisiana expat couple here doing them. So good, Mexican options severely limited here.

Plenty of gyros/kebab though.

Is this what you're talking about?

IMG_20180503_130532.jpg

yung.carl.jung likes this.
  18. civvver

civvver Deity

At home I usually make them with one tortilla folder over and then cut three times. So same size pieces. It depends on how large the tortillas are whether I do the fold or two separate ones.

19. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Yes, the single tortilla three cut is definitely acceptable for a smaller portion.
    That was an eight cut with two pieces eaten, and demonstrates the superiority of the six cut. Too many cuts make a butchered mess of the center and the points on the wedges too narrow to hold together when picked up.

20. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

What's the filling? I tried to duplicate it they were tasty.