The First Time You Voted

attackfighter

Emperor
For me it was the Fall of '08. I approached the ballot box when a breeze swept the ballot out of my hand and into the hands of the most beautiful woman on Earth. Her eyes glanced down at the ballot, then lit up and stared back at me. It was that moment that we knew we were hopelessly in love.

We met the next day in the park and walked around a bit before sitting at a bench overlooking a pool with geese in it. There were six geese and they were a family. We cuddled together and watched the geese swim around before leaving and going to Starbucks to order coffees. Along the way we saw a sign saying "a vote for Obama is a vote for happiness".

As the years went by we started a family of our own, just like the geese.

Yes that was my first day at the ballot box. The funny thing is that now that I think of it I don't believe I ever cast my vote—after the wind swept it out of my hand I went off with my woman! Ah well, it is the thought that counts.

2004*, and it was the first in a decade-long train wreck of disappointment. Here's one to the next. :beer:

*Although I kinda sorta followed the 2000 campaign after election day.

I think detracting 2 votes count more than me voting once

So the first time I "voted" was back in Ought-eight, and although I heroically stopped many of those dirty hippies from voting by simply handing out cookies with a "I voted" sticker [some surprisingly questioned whether they voted or not, but I assured them that the cookie-for-voting program was modelled after how blood donations work, and they seemed convinced to head home away from the polls. I mean, why would they have a cookie if they DIDNT vote?], Obama still won the election :(

You have a bright political future. ;) Fall back position as a baker too.

For me it was the Fall of '08. I approached the ballot box when a breeze swept the ballot out of my hand and into the hands of the most beautiful woman on Earth. Her eyes glanced down at the ballot, then lit up and stared back at me. It was that moment that we knew we were hopelessly in love.

We met the next day in the park and walked around a bit before sitting at a bench overlooking a pool with geese in it. There were six geese and they were a family. We cuddled together and watched the geese swim around before leaving and going to Starbucks to order coffees. Along the way we saw a sign saying "a vote for Obama is a vote for happiness".

As the years went by we started a family of our own, just like the geese.

Yes that was my first day at the ballot box. The funny thing is that now that I think of it I don't believe I ever cast my vote—after the wind swept it out of my hand I went off with my woman! Ah well, it is the thought that counts.
Is this a poetic story, or was your polling station outside? Was it in a building without a door? Your ballot got lost at the polling station?

My Elections Canada worker self profoundly disapproves of such a shoddy way of running a polling station. :shake:

I turned 18 in 1981. To my intense annoyance, it was more than a year before there was anything I could vote for. After a couple of times as an ordinary voter, I got a job with Elections Canada, in various positions as a poll clerk, constable, Deputy Returning Officer, and Revising Agent. The first time I worked at a federal polling station, they hadn't told us right away to vote in the advance polls because there was no guarantee we'd be stationed at the place we'd normally vote at. So at the last minute (okay, the last 2 hours), I had to go around to 3 candidates' headquarters to get at least some information on which to base a vote. We had a record 7 candidates in our riding that year, and the all-candidates' forums weren't scheduled until after the advance polls.

Absentee ballot, either for one of Arnold's special ballot elections or the 2006 primary, whichever came first but after I turned 18. There was very little exciting stuff. Some cool ballot initiatives I can't remember that may or may not have passed. My life didn't change as a result of the election.

That's a lovely story attackfighter!

For me, 2004, voted for a variety of Labour, Lib Dems and Greens. Nothing special or romantic happened.

I've been trying to think when the first time I voted was.

I remember being eligible, but unregistered anywhere, and I couldn't be bothered to do anything about it.

Yeah. Apathetic. I know.

When I was registered, I found I didn't really have anyone to vote for. So, I probably voted Labour. Then spoilt the ballot deliberately a few times, and I think I've mostly voted Green every since they started standing for election. Hopefully they'll never get elected on account of my vote. Otherwise I don't have a clue what I'll do.

Never going to vote Conservative, though. I might be weird, but I'm not that weird.

I don't remember the year but I was the dole so voted labour. Since then I've voted tories lib-dems greens ukip in various elections. You soon find voting is rather meaningless.

2007 local council election was my first vote, I picked 2 lib dems and a labour man (I think you had to pick three- otherwise that was my ballot spoiled)

Those were my social democratic days... thank god they're over

I was 18 in the year of 1996, so whenever the first election after that date I voted in. y local polling station is rather close by and i a short walk, so we often take the back route to the polling station and we don;t get bothered by all the how to vote cards. Unless of course they have someone patrolling the back route.

In 2011 I voted for the Liberal Conservative VVD during the provincial states elections.

The last elections I voted in were the 2014 municipal elections for which I voted for a local party. I haven't voted ever since I gave up the belief in democratic institutions and the 2014 European election was the first election I have skipped on purpose.

I voted to re-elect George W. Bush, and I've never lived in down in my head. I haven't voted for a party president since; in 2008 I abstained, and in 2012 I voted for Gary Johnson.

Top Bottom