The God Delusion: Would society be better off without religion?

Completely and utterly false. According to the 2006 census around 69.5 % belong to a religion. In fact, Australia has been very religious in it's past. When more than 2/3 of your citizens are religious, I think that qualifies as being a religious country.

The graph is based on the link below

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@...636F496B2B943F12CA2573D200109DA9?opendocument

Um... having a religious affiliation does not mean you're particularly religious. You have people who identify as Catholic or Anglican but pay lip-service to church and so on.

Um... having a religious affiliation does not mean you're particularly religious. You have people who identify as Catholic or Anglican but pay lip-service to church and so on.

You have a point. I was like that for several years until I realized what I really believed(or didn't believe, to be more precise). I shouldn't have made the conversation so black and white.

I was raised catholic and baptised and the lot. I'm in the big book as a catholic.

But I'm an atheist who can't be arsed to spend a minute of my time to chance how my religion or lack there off is recorded. :)

What do you mean by the "big book"? Does it say you are a catholic on your birth certificate? I was raised protestant and baptised. Does this mean I am recorded as a protestant or is it something parents choose on an individual basis?

Or am I completely missing what you're saying?:p

What do you mean by the "big book"? Does it say you are a catholic on your birth certificate? I was raised protestant and baptised. Does this mean I am recorded as a protestant or is it something parents choose on an individual basis?
I really have no idea how it's recorded actually. If it's mentioned on my BC, it probably says catholic. But I know it's recorded somewhere, but since it doesn't bother me, I never found out.
Or am I completely missing what you're saying?:p
Not sure if I'm completely getting my drift actually ;)

::looks at Sweden::

Well, it certainly wouldn't be worse off.

Definitely worse in the older ages, because then they would be afraid of lightning instead of seeing it as the act of God.

Im gonna go with, Its already thought to be the act of a god. Just not your god. and by that logic, its better to see it as a natural thing than god's wrath, so its better to be atheist than theist.

Top Bottom