• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

The great DoC 1.8 UHV challenge

I don't think it's a matter of Stability. There just need to be a Rebirth China in 1911 led by Dr. Sun Yat-sen.

Actually no rebirth suits me in some way. Otherwise I'd have to delete the Cixi leaderhead because it makes me vomit.

I never understood why Cixi is a leader of China in this game. I mean, Caligula is not a leader of the Romans, no? Louis XVI is not a leader of France, no? Then why the heck is Cixi a leader of China?

Agreed.

I have no idea why people like the Cixi leaderhead so much.
And she had little merit as a ruler.
It's really ugly.

Speaking of ugly leaderheads, the current "Cleopatra" (Hatsheput) leaderhead needs to be swapped out for the superior Cleopatra leaderhead by SabotLieh.

Anyways agreed for the most part about a 1911 Rebirth China (Republic);
A 1947 Communist China with Mao would work too.

Qixi is the ruler of China because she's the only available Qing LH.

Yeah this site has the most horrible server maintenance.

You can see mega-Thai took over most of China including Portugese Guangzhou which contained the Porcelain Tower. Their trade and my trade combined made Japan really prosperous. I also took care to not build a single Cultural building in my Oil colony cities Recife and Lagos. Eiffel Tower is actually needed to pacify Havana/Caracas.

Another thing that Leoreth may want to take note: Germany cannot build Panzers because Russia took Budapest (on the Oil) from Austria and held it till end game. They had to make do with Infantry and Marines. You may want to move that symbolic Oil closer to Berlin.
Perhaps Germany's Factory UB could also convert coal to oil?
I don't think it's a matter of Stability. There just need to be a Rebirth China in 1911 led by Dr. Sun Yat-sen.

Actually no rebirth suits me in some way. Otherwise I'd have to delete the Cixi leaderhead because it makes me vomit.

I never understood why Cixi is a leader of China in this game. I mean, Caligula is not a leader of the Romans, no? Louis XV is not a leader of France, no? Then why the heck is Cixi a leader of China?

Agreed.

I have no idea why people like the Cixi leaderhead so much.
And she had little merit as a ruler.
It's really ugly.

Speaking of ugly leaderheads, the current "Cleopatra" (Hatsheput) leaderhead needs to be swapped out for the superior Cleopatra leaderhead by SabotLieh.

Anyways agreed for the most part about a 1911 Rebirth China (Republic);
A 1947 Communist China with Mao would work too.
Agreed, China needs a Modern rebirth

So, while I was looking up coal to petroleum stuff I noticed that India has 7% of the world's coal, in game India has no coal while Germany has 2 (4.7% of reserves), South Africa has 1 (3.5%), Columbia (0.8%) has 1... The proper place to add this coal would be 1E or 1SE of the Northern Gems. The Indian Aluminium needs to be 1W of Calcutta or where the Gems are North of Goa (on the Goan plains hill works too I guess). China is the 3rd producer, but has none on the map, 1NE of Xi'an would do it.

whats the key to winning UHV as China? How do you manage to have 8 cities before 1000 AD, Music, Compass, and 4 pagodas???? (AI will get it before 1000AD)

On the German oil problems (missed that earlier), in RFC Panzers don't require oil at all. I changed that because it allowed Germany to have tanks even earlier, without Combustion.

On the other hand, I like the fact that you have to annex Austria to effectively wage war.

On the German oil problems (missed that earlier), in RFC Panzers don't require oil at all. I changed that because it allowed Germany to have tanks even earlier, without Combustion.

On the other hand, I like the fact that you have to annex Austria to effectively wage war.
Maybe the German AI should have a higher priority for Budapest in terms of its war map? You know, in the same way that Spain declares on whoever's controlling Inca or Aztec territories regardless of the political consequences?

With camel archers and the lucratious islam wonders Arabian UHV is quite easy to be honest. I had rifles in 1450 and finally bothered to sail to America just before 1450 too, after discovering Optics ~1350, so the teching was quite unbalanced; which reminds me can conquerers be riflemen?? That would be cool.:D

EDIT: I reloaded and waited for a turn and yes they can!

Anyways, I recommend that Spain is once again included in the conquered areas, since otherwise the first two UHVs are really simple. Spreading islam was the only part that required some work, although gifting missionaries to India and China made things a lot easier. I was just sailing missionaries to England and Scandinavia, with whom I had open borders, when they declared on me, so the caravels had to be rerouted to China, which took some time. I vassalised Ethiopia, Mongolia, Mughals and Ottomans.
Spoiler :

Yeah, including Spain shouldn't be a problem. I've also reduced Arabia's tech rate a little and reduced La Mezquita to one beaker, so that it's weaker than the new Representation again.

reduced La Mezquita to one beaker
Well that makes it almost worthless, doesn't it? Just compare its effects to University of Sankore or La Mezquita and you'll see what I mean.

While I agree on a nerf, some other benefits need to be added to make it worth something. e.g.

(1) +2 :science: from Libraries in all cities

(2) 2 free Priests

(3) Free Islamic Monasteries in all cities, spreads Islam.

In fact I suggest (3) to be its only effect.

so the great wall in china UHV is a red herring?? my economy goes into the drink after I capture korea's 3 cities. 0% science. and barely able to be in the green. not really sure what to do.

so the great wall in china UHV is a red herring?? my economy goes into the drink after I capture korea's 3 cities. 0% science. and barely able to be in the green. not really sure what to do.

Don't let Corea build more than it's capital.

Keep about 6-8 Chariots near the Yalu River before Corea spawns and then rush in.

Same thing with Japan, except with 6-10 Cho-Ko-Nus.
Also, burn down Kyouto and resettle it.

Well that makes it almost worthless, doesn't it? Just compare its effects to University of Sankore or La Mezquita and you'll see what I mean.

While I agree on a nerf, some other benefits need to be added to make it worth something. e.g.

(1) +2 :science: from Libraries in all cities

(2) 2 free Priests

(3) Free Islamic Monasteries in all cities, spreads Islam.

In fact I suggest (3) to be its only effect.
I'd rather further nerf Sankore, too. Its effect is just insane for Arabia that gets tons of the necessary buildings for free.

I'd rather further nerf Sankore, too. Its effect is just insane for Arabia that gets tons of the necessary buildings for free.
I'm happy as long as the Wonders are more or less balanced against each other. That said, I think it's the Arabian UP that needs to be changed. I prefer its RFCE version:

- State Religion spreads to all cities (built, conquered, or flipped) along with Temples.

That way I can decide where to build Mosques (an interesting decision that was taken away from me IMO). If that is too weak (in RFCE it's not too weak because of Faith Points) then you can add

- +1 Happiness and +25% Culture in all cities

or

- +1 Happiness and +2 Culture in all cities

^That is basically half the effect of free Mosques, but doesn't benefit from Spiral Minaret/University of Sankore like Mosques do. Mosques give +3 Happiness (Religion + Incense), 50% Culture, and 2 Priest slots. But Arabia don't need the Priest slots anyway because their UB already provides it.

So yeah, TLDR, remove Mosques from Arabian UP and you'll be fine.

Good point.

Portugal : Monarch/Normal, 600 AD.

At spawn, I immediately attacked Spain and took Valencia and Sevilla. I have no idea whether this was the right thing to do - of course it earned me two cities, but Spain attacked me later on and I nearly got killed. Well, controlling the Gibraltar coast tile ensured Spain couldn't found any colonies, so they were not that strong.

1) Have the most revealed territory on your map by 1500 AD.
You should beeline either Optics or paper and buy maps/send out Carracks. This goal is not that hard, unless noone wants to trade maps with you.

2) Have open borders with 12 civs by 1650 AD.
You will probably have to go in FR/No state religion to get this goal. If too many civilizations got killed, then this might be impossible. I almost failed, but the Maratha respawned in 1650 AD (!) and agreed to open borders.

3) Found 15 extra-European colonies.
This is probably the easiest one, as you do not even have to control them all at once - so you can even collapse and continue founding cities!

Economics and Optics are keytechs for Portugal: Optics is obvious, and Economics allows Capitalism, FM and Feitorias : three things you need to make tiny island cities economic workhorses. Just rushbuy a Feitoria and a lighthouse in them, and they should produce around 30 commerce.

Spoiler :

Screenshot before victory. It doesn't matter where you settle, actually. Maybe the third goal needs to be made harder.

I finished the game in 1860 AD with 4416 points.

2) Have open borders with 12 civs by 1650 AD.
You will probably have to go in FR/No state religion to get this goal. If too many civilizations got killed, then this might be impossible. I almost failed, but the Maratha respawned in 1650 AD (!) and agreed to open borders.
The India respawn in 1650 AD happened in one of my Portugal games too, which enabled me to finally have 12 OBs.

And you can attack Spain on spawn? :eek: They usually have a sizable army and it's me who's under military threat!

Well, they had a spearman guarding Valencia and two CG2 longbows defending Sevilla. I took out the spear with a crossbow, then hired a Cataphract mercenary and took Sevilla with two losses (got lucky there). I think they also suicided a longbow and catapult against my longbows (in a city). I also took out two lone levies with crossbows.

I attacked them because Spain usually bullies AI Portugal a lot (either by culture or by taking it's capital).

Like a boss (game decided I should only get 4955 points!)

The trick is tons of Great Artists, I actually got all of the named subcontinental artists (Opera House is your BFF for those 3 artist slots)

:eek: Did you have much trouble in getting GAs? Like getting Prophets instead.

Top Bottom