• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

The great DoC 1.8 UHV challenge

I think El-Uqsur is Luxor, and thus definitely not Cairo.

Depending on which tile it is on, it could count as "Cairo", I just don't remember if it is.

IIRC the tile where Cairo is (al-Qahira) weren't named Niwt-Rst in the CNM.. it's Per-Wadjet or something like that.. cmiiw too

But the starting Egyptian tile is definite-positively Luxor, not Cairo.

I don't remember what it was anymore ...

It's something about having cities without any :mad: or :yuck:
IMO that one is better than having to wait until 1940

(allowing it to focused to either Srivijaya/Majapahit, not representing Indonesia from Srivijaya till this modern era; especially since the modern Indonesia is 100% different in philosophy etc than the antique one)

Resurrections aren't playable anymore, it didn't work out.

Umm, well.
Alright, it doesn't have to be playable, though.
Playing as Indonesia in 1940, what's the challenge? :p
Sitting down and watching the populations grows? No war no trade :(

P.S
I noticed something wrong is going with something Zoroastrian..
Either their temple/monastery, I think.

It's something about having cities without any :mad: or :yuck:
IMO that one is better than having to wait until 1940
That goal is good in theory and I liked it, but then I realized that there are just too many ways to circumvent the requirements (e.g. keep all your cities at low population) for it to be challenging or fun.

Umm, well.
Alright, it doesn't have to be playable, though.
Playing as Indonesia in 1940, what's the challenge? :p
Sitting down and watching the populations grows? No war no trade :(
Playing past ~1500 also requires them to survive European colonialism. It's more of a "be alive in X" goal, but I had to tie it to something else because surviving alone isn't a viable goal. I admit it's not quite challenging because Indonesia is too stable and even the Dutch are not too threatening, so that aspect might deserve to be revisited.

P.S
I noticed something wrong is going with something Zoroastrian..
Either their temple/monastery, I think.
I hope you plan to elaborate ...?

P.P.S
Would you open a new thread about the Dynamic Civs name?
(I won't open it :p)
Might be a good idea.

If not, I'd rather post some suggestion here..
Indonesia under Soviet = Soviet Republic of Indonesia
(Short lived, declared by Musso and ended by the Indonesian Military Forces)

Indonesia as British vassal = Strait Settlements
Indonesia as Ottoman vassal = Sultanate of Aceh
Indonesia as Chinese vassal = Sanfotsi
Thanks for these. I won't reply to the rest of the post because it's not in any way related to the topic of this thread and I don't want to derail it. There's a suggestion thread dedicated to exactly this sort of stuff, please take it there.

About Phoenicia: Without initial chariots, how do you get the biggest map in 200 AD?

Edit: it depends on luck. If China doesn't build port cities then it's easy to get biggest map with a single exploring trireme.

Edit: Playing as Ethiopia, I feel I'm in heaven after making peace with the natives. :king:

Still Catholicism didn't spread to my land. It forced me to spend nearly 500 years locating and conquering a single Catholic city. Finally got Sparta...
Spoiler :

I tried to found Catholicism at the beginning of the game but always fell several turns short. I wonder what's the correct set up for founding Catholicism?

That goal is good in theory and I liked it, but then I realized that there are just too many ways to circumvent the requirements (e.g. keep all your cities at low population) for it to be challenging or fun.

Have to admit that statement is true :lol:
How about this : Have 3 cities with Hinduism, Buddhism and Islam by 1600AD?

Playing past ~1500 also requires them to survive European colonialism. It's more of a "be alive in X" goal, but I had to tie it to something else because surviving alone isn't a viable goal. I admit it's not quite challenging because Indonesia is too stable and even the Dutch are not too threatening, so that aspect might deserve to be revisited.

Add Chola invasion so Palembang fell..
I understand, but surviving doesn't have to be until 1940, which is quite long..

I hope you plan to elaborate ...?
Yes. I hope so.

Thanks for these. I won't reply to the rest of the post because it's not in any way related to the topic of this thread and I don't want to derail it. There's a suggestion thread dedicated to exactly this sort of stuff, please take it there.

I will move it there then.

Finally I got the Turkish UHV on emperor difficulty in 1800. I had to start over and over to get a favourable spawn, but finally managed it. Oh and I played 3000BC start, so I had a chance for the first UHV condition :p

http://kepfeltoltes.hu/120219/Civ4ScreenShot0002_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

http://kepfeltoltes.hu/120219/Civ4ScreenShot0003_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

http://kepfeltoltes.hu/120219/Civ4ScreenShot0004_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

(BTW why is Venice called Agley? I didn't rename it, only captured the city from the Germans.)

I don't use SVN, only 1.8 and it's patch.

Speed: Epic

I thought the first goal was easier in the 600 AD, with two wonders already prebuilt in Constantinople.

I thought the first goal was easier in the 600 AD, with two wonders already prebuilt in Constantinople.

IMO it's impossible to get two other wonders on emperor 600AD. Constantinople takes a lot of time to assimilate and you can't get the techs fast enough.

I found it easier to capture a Greek city with 4 wonders and move my Palace there.

Arabia : Monarch/Normal, 1959 AD, 3939 score, 600 AD.

With their UP, I think it's quite obvious that the Spiral Minaret and the University of Sankore are going to make things a lot easier. Dimashq, Mecca and Baghdad are good production spots.

1: Be the most advanced civilization in 1300 AD.

Cottage things, bulb some techs, nothing too hard, really. Your opponents here are Byzantium, India (3000 BC) and China. China and India will get killed by the Mughals and Mongols, hopefully, while the Turks might come just in time to kill Byzantium. You can kill them yourselves, of course, but in 600 AD they've got the Theodosian walls to make things harder.
I got liberalism in time, which helped too, of course. Lib constitution and switch to Representation (nobrainer civic, but Leoreth has changed it now).

2. Have Egypt, the Maghreb, Persia and Mesopotamia as vassal or conquer them by 1300 AD.
You'll flip Egypt and Mesopotamia on spawn, so that's quite easy. Just send some Camel archers to conquer the Maghreb (= Northern Africa) in the eighth century. Maybe a little harder is holding your empire together until then : the Byzantine, Seljuks, Mongols and Turks will try to take your cities. But guess what : your awesome UU, the Camel archer, counters the UU of three of those civilizations! Just build some (6-10) Camel archers and destroy the Seljuk/Mongol stacks as soon as they spawn.
Do not conquer Persia before the Seljuk spawn : just let the Independents defend against the Seljuks and afterwards take the lightly defended Seljuk cities.

3. Spread Islam to 40%.
I had the most trouble with this victory condition. Getting the conquerors helps with your UP, and conquering Indies all over the world and then granting them independence helps too. I had three vassals by the end of the game, America, the Thai and Korea, which is good too, as you can airlift your missionaries directly into their cities. You can also conquer cities near them and then gift them to them. If you have switched to conquest, this won't hurt your stability and you'll get some free islam spread.

You should be building Missionaries in high-production cities non-stop from the start of the game. I almost feared England would launch a spaceship before I would have won the UHV.

I only won in 1959, I probably should have been a bit more aggressive.

I'm trying the Ottomans now, but what does it take to lock-up the Eastern Mediterranean? How far west?

OK, so it's have culture on every sea tile as far west as Sicily?

Finished the Korean UHV on Monarch, Epic, 3000BC start.

The 3000BC start has the disadvantage that one starts with way less techs. No Iron Working, Metal Casting, Machinery, Mathematics, Aesthetics, Drama, Code of Laws, Construction which one has in 600AD. However, there are usually a bunch of civs around who one can trade with, so did I, mainly with India and Persia, and of course the eastern civs after grabbing Alphabet. The advantage of the 3000BC start is a way more developed infrastructure. On the long run, its easier than the 600AD start IF:
1) Confucianism spreads to one of your cities, preferably quick. Conquering a chinese city would make things...... more complicated
2) China hasn't completely settled Manchuria and doesn't declare war. Just be nice and say yes and amen to everything they order ;) (same goes for Mongols)

So, with some chopping the Cathedral UHV is no problem (I even got the GA from Music). After that, beelined for Printing Press. In the meantime, a squad of 3 Triremes was sent to the Indian Ocean/East African coast, where they sunk 10 barb/native ships. The rest was from a war with Arabia, and later Japan, who will happily sent ships around once you declare war. However, it seems too hard for the AI to put units on a ship and land them elsewhere...

All in all a nice game without any expansion at all, just turtled my way to victory.

Spoiler :

I thought 3000 BC start for Korea is the more difficult one. China was very fond of settling Sanshan early. Here's my finish in a 600 AD game:
Spoiler :

I spent too much time to build up a navy force (frigates, privateers). Should've tried triremes as you did.

Okay, so I re-did Turkey on the same save.
(The start was too good to pass up; I had The Great Library & one other wonder I can't remember already pre-built in Constantinopolis)

Difficulty: Monarch
Speed: Normal
Score: 6034

Won a virtual UHV on 1655.
But I played all the way through just to see my score.

By the way...I had spawned about 6 or so Great Generals during the whole span of just a few centuries. Does State Church work with Great Generals too?

Burned down Amsterdam and vassalized the Dutch & Corea.
One thing I gotta say either Leoreth handled well or just the simple fact that I was holding onto Rome. Europeans hate Turks. There was almost not a moment when I wasn't at war with Russia, Spain+Portugal, France+Netherlands or any combination of all of these. The only Europeans who liked me were Elizabeth (my Defensive Pact friend with benefits :lol:) and the Vikings (pre-1800). Once, the AP settled peace between me and Spain, only to start it up again on the exact same turn because Spain DOW'ed on England just to continue it's war with me.

I lost Liberalism to England and conquerors to France & Spain but at least I won circumnavigation. I had to a lot of razing in order to keep Egypt from respawning as early (I had to raze El-Usqur which had La Mezquita in it unfortunately).

Both China & Persia respawned sometime, but they both collapsed in like five turns.
Leoreth, if you're reading this, you need to fix respawns so that they're more stable.

Here's my score.

I wanted to share a little post-game shot of the Greater Corean Empire.
They have both Hangzhou and Nagasaki here.

Saves (Virtual & Actual UHVs below)

Attachments

• Mehmed II AD-1655 Turn 312.CivBeyondSwordSave
    954 KB · Views: 25
  • Mehmed II AD-1802 Turn 355.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
So... Which tile is Cairo? :crazyeye:

And how did you get a +16 in foreign stability? Is there something one can do to boost foreign stability? Have closed borders?

Give me one second to upload the image.

San El-Hagar will count as Cairo for you.

EDIT: I also have absolutely no idea how I got a +16 in Foreign but it kept me floating along with my less-than decent economy
and poor expansion rating because I razed about ten cities or so. (I razed Split, Mailand, one other city in Italy, 3 Egyptian cities,
Budapest, one German city in Eastern Europe, Delphoi, 1 Arabian city, Amsterdam)

I didn't do anything different from say my China game,
which makes me upset that I have this huge Foreign penalty every time I play China.

Depending on which tile it is on, it could count as "Cairo", I just don't remember if it is.
Coming back on the Cairo issue: I checked how it's implemented and currently, for every city it checks for its usual position and the first ring around it. In the case of Cairo, it was the tile where Cairo is on in the 600 AD scenario. I've moved this one south so both the original Cairo tile as well as the Niwt-Rst tile (Egyptian spawn) will count.

By the way...I had spawned about 6 or so Great Generals during the whole span of just a few centuries. Does State Church work with Great Generals too?

Burned down Amsterdam and vassalized the Dutch & Corea.
One thing I gotta say either Leoreth handled well or just the simple fact that I was holding onto Rome. Europeans hate Turks. There was almost not a moment when I wasn't at war with Russia, Spain+Portugal, France+Netherlands or any combination of all of these. The only Europeans who liked me were Elizabeth (my Defensive Pact friend with benefits :lol:) and the Vikings (pre-1800). Once, the AP settled peace between me and Spain, only to start it up again on the exact same turn because Spain DOW'ed on England just to continue it's war with me.
Incidentally, today I decided to play the first complete DoC game in a while, and chose Turkey. My 600 AD start wasn't very favorable because there was no city on the Krim to flip, which meant war with Russia later in the game, and my experiences were exactly the same as yours. Everyone hates you. I had just finished clearing Egypt and Mecca and rallied my troops at the German border to attack when Persia backstabbed me, then when I had just finished them off Germany and Spain collectively declared on me. When I finally drove out their stacks and conquered Vienna, I only had three turns left to conquer the Russian city at the Black Sea to get that goal. If I didn't have a GA ready to skip the conquest unrest I would've missed the deadline.

And I got a lot of GGs, too. GP modifiers don't influence it, by the way. And Turkey would probably be a whole lot harder without Topkapi Palace. That wonder is still extremely powerful even with one draft per turn.

Both China & Persia respawned sometime, but they both collapsed in like five turns.
Leoreth, if you're reading this, you need to fix respawns so that they're more stable.
Iirc Rhye's resurrection method resets stability, but I had that happen, too. Will investigate.

Top Bottom