The "I Got A New Game!" Thread

I doubt I can run Chivalry: Medieval Warfare with my laptop, but I'm purchasing it at a fair price for a future day when I get a decent PC.

Good game. In my experience, if you meet the minimum specs, you should be able to play it, although not as well as with better specs. The CPU specs are actually pretty important, too. My laptop has an 8600M GT with 256 MB VRAM and a 2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo, versus the 8800 GT with 512 MB VRAM and 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo that's the official minimum. I could play on small servers (up to 12 people or so) with somewhat acceptable frame rates (25 FPS or so). Try to play on a server with 24 players, though, and the CPU just couldn't cut it, and the frame rate would tank to unplayable levels.

So if you're right around minimum specs, I'd say give it a try, just don't join 24 or 32 player servers (let alone the 64-player ones - although those lag no matter how powerful a PC you have since the servers can't really handle them). If you're much below the minimum, especially on the CPU front, it is probably best to save it for the future.

I just bought Expeditions: Conquistador.
I'm finding this a lot of fun. Running around Hispaniola and Mexico trying to ascertain the Spanish crown dominion over the new world isfun.

Dishonored and Knife of Dunwall for $13 was a good deal for me.

I nearly bought Fallout: New Vegas, but then I remembered that I'm still tens of games and endless novels behind, so I didn't.

Got FTL. I'm starting to think I'm just bad at that game... this has got to be my 9th or 10th game, and I haven't made it past sector 6.

Had one game with an epic crew and upgrades that I was sure was going to end well, then I missed 4 of my first 6 shots (rendering my hull beam useless, because their shields stayed up), followed by getting hit by two missiles on my shields and weapons rooms. And I never managed to recover, because they kept re-damaging my weapons faster than I could repair and charge them and took out my engines too before I could charge fully.

Got Organ Trail. Funny, somewhat fun, not particularly high replay value. Worth the ~$1.50 I spent on it.

Got Bioshock 1 & 2. Already played 1, but it was a bundle and I didn't still have 1 available. Looking forward to trying bioshock 2 soon.

Got Empire: Total War. A bit of a disappointment by the standards of the series; I'm told Darthmod is a good upgrade and will be downloading that before I play again.

Got Dishonored, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Dark Souls, Just Cause 2, Cities in Motion 2. Haven't installed those yet. Some of them will probably be flops, some good.

Got Fallout: New Vegas. Definitely looking forward to this one; waiting until I can clear a whole day to try it.

Should be plenty to keep me entertained for another 6 months until the winter sale.

Got FTL. I'm starting to think I'm just bad at that game... this has got to be my 9th or 10th game, and I haven't made it past sector 6.

A lot of the game relies heavily upon RNG so while you can make mistakes that screw you over, your success is still largely dependent on luck and management. Great game though.

Got Empire: Total War. A bit of a disappointment by the standards of the series; I'm told Darthmod is a good upgrade and will be downloading that before I play again.
Yeah Empire and Napoleon are the weakest Total War titles but they also don't really have any competition for exactly what they do... still pretty fun games though. Darthmod is okay, but despite his frequent and loud mouthed proclamations about how amazing his AI is he wasn't actually able to modify the AI files directly and it isn't really any better than vanilla. It does add a lot of content (new units n stuff) to the game though.

Got Dishonored, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Dark Souls, Just Cause 2, Cities in Motion 2. Haven't installed those yet. Some of them will probably be flops, some good.
Dishonored, Deus Ex, Just Cause 2 and CiM2 are all great games, you won't regret their purchase.

Dark Souls is a great game too. Just make sure you play it in the right frame of mind because it is punishingly difficulty.

Everything I got from the Summer Sale:

Antichamber
Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition
Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition
Deadlight
Euro Truck Simulator 2
Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes
Hitman: Absolution
Kerbal Space Program
Organ Trail
Reus
Risen 2
XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Risen 2? I thought that was a pretty bad series from what I've heard.

My steam haul was pretty light. Most of the great games I have and the ones I don't I didn't feel like paying $10 (I'm looking at you xcom, max payne and dishonored!) when I probably won't get to them til christmas and they'll be $5 by then. Like how I bought witcher 2 for $10 months ago and still haven't played it yet. Games I got:

Dark Souls
Fable 3
NBA2k13
Portal 2
Sleeping Dogs
Reus

I played the first Risen and it was alright. The final boss fight didn't even use the normal combat mechanics though so that was a bit disappointing. Magic is moderately fun and fighting is sort of like God of War except without the crowd control and giant health bar - you have to roll everywhere, basically.

The island is pretty damn fun to explore, though, and the atmosphere is greatly helped by every NPC being voiced by someone who knows how to read lines. The setting being a Caribbean island gives it pretty much all the bonus points I can possibly give it though.

Dark Souls is a great game too. Just make sure you play it in the right frame of mind because it is punishingly difficulty.

You mean fake difficult.

I got Civ5 and all the DLC, the Stronghold collection, and System Shock 2 in the Steam Sale. Surprised that Civ5 runs on my laptop but then I saw that it was optimized for chipsets. Thank you Sid.

Risen 2 is a much more broken, pirate themed Risen 1. Not that Risen 1 was that great to begin with. Not the worst I've played but it wasn't exactly exciting. I'm glad I played it for free while GamersGate's VOID program was still up (its down now as they are developing a new version).

Borderlands 2
+ class DLC
Tomb Raider (again)
Bastion
A bit of Shogun 2 and Tropico 4 DLC
Half Life 2: Episode 1/2
Hotline Miami
Serious Sam 3: BFE
Garry's Mod
Psychonauts

First Summer Sale I really took part in. I'm not entirely pleased with the outcome tbh. Got a few too many impulses and re-buys and not enough things I've been waiting for.

Borderlands 2 Season Pass and the 2 new classes plus a couple skin packs
Telltale Games Poker Night 2 (for 2 more in skins--Brock for Zerker and Glados for Assassin)
and gifted a copy of The Ship, which ive played and is quite fun

nothing else. ive got maybe 5 more on radar for when they have 1 more price drop. until then im playing games from the backlog of never-played stuff. (forgot I have metro 2033 and need to play that soon.)

Risen 2 is a much more broken, pirate themed Risen 1. Not that Risen 1 was that great to begin with. Not the worst I've played but it wasn't exactly exciting. I'm glad I played it for free while GamersGate's VOID program was still up (its down now as they are developing a new version).

I think I'm fatalistically attracted to the series. It's really the best explanation I have to offer.

I'm not one to put much stock in it normally, but that is probably why it has a metascore of 54.

I typically ignore Metacritic until it dips below 60 points, at which point I have to ask, "Am I going to risk it?" And that was how I managed not to fall for The War Z's name chance to Infestation: Survivor Stories.

Also why I ended up not getting Omerta: City of Gangsters, which is sad because I was considering preordering it because it looked fun.

Top Bottom