The Iron Will and Positivity Thread

exactly my words bro. could've spared me a cold minute if I looked for your post instead of making the same reply :lol:
The states have a long history of The Food Industry flexing their money to muddy the waters on the issue. They threaten to stop funding institutions that use funding for studies on added sugar in our diets. They actually ruined Mrs. Obama's wellness plan by 'trying to help,' and then changing the narrative. Whenever the issue of advertising food (evidence supports the conclusion that people eat more while watching food commercials, and ads condition children to want processed foods over 'real' food) arises The Food Industry makes the argument about whether the government has the right to control what ads we see or what our kids eat in school. The American people choose the for-profit food industry over the government everytime.

dedicated to @Mouthwash

No, all of them are grotesquely unnatural, which was my point. if you are so enlightened, why don't you tell me which ones are natural, and which ones are not? you have already been asked this once and completely dodged, because obviously you have zero clue about ethnobotany and the development of agriculture

"genetic adaption" to food is an absolute bonkers concept and I doubt you can provide a single legitimate source for it. the only remnants of this we see today is different populations and their response to alcohol and milk products, aside from that our bodies process foods in fundamentally the same way. It's not "a good policy to have", it's borderline ******** and makes absolutely zero sense. many foods developed in America that are incredibly similiar nutrition wise to foods from Europe, how is their location in any way relevant?

how does it matter how many macronutrients a single vegetable or piece of meat has, when you're eating dozens of seperate thing every day, which all end up being mixed in digestion? furthermore, you just ignore the fact that the "foods of our ancestors" straight up don't exist anymore (which invalidates your "policy").

I think the underlying issue is that you have no clue how both DNA and Darwinian evolution work, and this informs your misunderstanding about "genetic adaption" to food. your sentence "four centuries of eating new world crops" reveals this more than anything.

McDonalds does not "destroy appetite for anything else", it does exactly the opposite. it creates more appetite, because none of the ingredients are filling, and because it spikes blood sugar. anyone with even the remotest knowledge of nutrition could tell you that. they're simple carbs as opposed to complex, refined sugars as opposed to bound sugars like we have in fruits etc, trans fats as opposed to omaga3,6 and so forth. none of this means that only McDonalds can satisfy your cravings.

what you're referring to is the addictive component of McDonalds food, which stems mostly from high sodium content. it means you have to eat more salty stuff in order for it to taste salty, so you enter a spiral of death where your food gets more and more loaded with salt. has nothing to do with appetite, but with taste.

Last edited:
"genetic adaption" to food is an absolute bonkers concept and I doubt you can provide a single legitimate source for it. the only remnants of this we see today is different populations and their response to alcohol and milk products, aside from that our bodies process foods in fundamentally the same way.

Well, it is absolute bonkers in the way that MW is using it here, but the major human genetic "adaptations to food" actually revolve around adapting to a diet of cooked food. Cooking likely predates modern humans and it is certainly possible to trace our genetic adaptations to cooked food. In fact genetic evidence suggests that cooking may have started as long as a million years before the first archaeological evidence of it emerges.

Again though, this obviously has nothing to do with what MW is saying, which appears to be a simple extension of his apparent belief that everything premodern was better than everything modern to food.

Modern food doesn't taste as good, but that's not a barrier to addiction. Eating McDonald's every day literally destroys your appetite for anything else, even though it has the taste and texture of salty plastic.

That's not true. Watch supersize me, that guy was so sick of eating mcdonald's by the end, he could barely keep it down.

I'm only citing facts that sugar consumption is going down noticeably but obesity is still going up. We can't just say it's the sugar in our food, it's not, it's the total calories and ease of access. Fast food is awful for you cus you scarf down 1000 calories almost without noticing it. The texture of it, you barely have to even chew it, you can eat so much without realizing and it's cheap. If the calories come from added sugar, that's bad, but it's just as bad as slathering extra mayo on your hamburger and getting most of the calories from soybean oil.

A Calorie in is not the same as a Calorie out. Eating high sugar, low fiber foods (high glycemic index) are digested quickly and cause blood sugar spikes, which cause Insulin spikes. High concentrations of Insulin leads to rapid glycogenesis (carbs you eat stored as glycogen) and lipogenesis (carbs stored as triglycerides), leading to a subsequent drop in blood sugar, causing lethargy and hunger, leading to you eating more.
High fiber and low glycemic index foods are digested slowly and the effect on blood sugar is minimal.
That's why sugar is bad.

"Exercise more" is propaganda from the food industry. They don't want you to actually make healthy, informed food choices, rather keep eating their garbage and then hate yourself when you exercise for and hour a day and keep gaining weight.

Blood sugar spikes and drops make you hungry and eat more. Plus it's the GI of the entire meal, all you have to do is put some fat on that white bread and your blood sugar isn't going to spike like that.

I wasn't trying to say exercise more is the path to being healthy, what you eat and how much is far more important. It's just a factor.

There's not one thing, just as there's not one diet that works for everyone. I like to go lower carb, lots of veggies, lots of meats, some dairy. I like fats in my diet. I don't care that much about fruit. I like salty foods. Other people don't, they want to eat pasta and lots of berries. Whatever, both can be healthy.

Sugar addiction leading to obesity is a myth. We're fat cus calorie consumption has gone up, even as sugar consumption has gone down. It's the cheap over abundance of food that has made us fat. It's not the flavors, it's the ease of getting it. Some of the best tasting foods are made the same way as they were hundreds of years ago. Have you had a homemade pie from scratch or homemade ice cream or butter? All delicious and amazing. We started getting obese in just the last ~50 years or so cus food has become cheap and everywhere.

We also move less. Desk jobs weren't really a thing 100 years ago and we walked to go places.

To add to what YCJ and jarred said, sugar has a high caloric density and is generally found in foods that don't fill you up so it is really easy to take in more sugar calories than non-sugar calories. Eating 500 calories of ice cream is much easier than 500 calories of chicken, or veggies, or whatever.

That's not true. Watch supersize me, that guy was so sick of eating mcdonald's by the end, he could barely keep it down.

Was he eating the same meals? Anyway, addiction works gradually on people. I imagine the worst thing would be eating McDonald's every few days, alternating with Taco Bell, Wendy's, Dairy Queen, etc.

millions of people with a more refined palette (or just a different taste, because that's essentially what we're talking about here) will not get addicted to McDonalds food, because it simply doesn't satisfy them psychologically in any way, nor does it taste good to them.

Food addictions are almost never true substance based addictions (which have withdrawal symptoms, like heroin or nicotine or alcohol), but rather psychological addictions (like behavioral addictions). so the people likely to get addicted to fast food are people who grew up on fast food, who release more endorphins than others while eating fast food, who get a sense of comfort out of it. that isn't true for anyone with refined taste (sorry if I insult anyone here, Mickey Dees is pig food).

it's not the flavor overload, nor is it the flavor combination, as you claim. there's thousands of strong, flavorful, foods, but few of them have people addicted. McDonalds has advertisement, kids parties, is easily available and has food that is good at creating more hunger/cravings. That's where the fast food addiction comes from, a mixture of societal, psychological and blood-sugar (aswell as salt) related factors.

You went out of your way, so don't play coy. :lol:

I denied that in my first post mentioning McDonald's.

you continously say that foods high in sugar or fat are bad for health and addictive due to their taste, why would this not apply to McDonalds? I know you said it tastes bad, I've read your post. but you cannot believe both of those statements to be true: Either McDonalds food is a sugar and fat flavor bomb that causes addiction, or your hypothesis about high sugar and fat foods being addictive due to their taste flies out the window. they're absolutely contradictory statements.

also you said "McDonalds destroys the appetite for anything else", which is untrue as I and others have pointed out.

I think if you eat a lot of McDonalds (or just highly processed foods in general) your gut bacteria will adapt to that and it will be harder to feel sated by "real" food, I think it may also actually make it harder to absorb nutrients from food too. Not true?

I think if you eat a lot of McDonalds (or just highly processed foods in general) your gut bacteria will adapt to that and it will be harder to feel sated by "real" food, I think it may also actually make it harder to absorb nutrients from food too. Not true?

not entirely, no, but it will definitely make it harder to eat some:

1 cruciferous vegetables
2 some bloating vegetables like the onion family
3 many legumes like lentils
4 many whole-grains and
5 many fermented food products.

those aren't any more "real" than McDonalds or Shrimp Alfredo or Pad Thai. your stomach definitely adapts, but eating a diet of mostly McDonalds doesn't mean that your body is only able to digest burgers, or fast food in general, you will still be able to eat just about anything besides the items I mentioned on top. legumes, whole-grains and fermented products are in general hard to digest and actually need adaption of your gut and intenstines themselves, so if anything they're maybe less "real" or "natural" to us than, say, white rice. many people who don't eat fast food have trouble digesting these. your stomach adapts to what you eat: in this case simple carbs, sugars, fats. those aren't necessarily bad nor harmful and you can make an infinite combination of good, healthy dishes out of it :)

The former, sort of. The latter, no, not unless you have a digestive problem. But in that case, it's not the McDonald's at fault, it's your health condition.

About the former, your gut flora can be influenced by what you eat, and certain nutrient profiles can promote cravings or incomplete satiation. You can have this problem if you cook all your food yourself, though, and it isn't a uniquely fast food-related issue. It also takes a long time of consistent ruinous behaviour for it to have that kind of impact, too. Someone who eats out every weekend won't ever run into that problem unless their diet otherwise is just as bad.

Yung probably has a clearer ratio in mind, but IIRC high-sodium, high-calorie, low-fiber foods are the perfect storm for disrupting your gut biome, and a steady diet of that kind of food can make it challenging to correct since you'll get things like cramps and diarrhea when you switch. But barring health conditions, that self-corrects within a week or two.

Not sure, digestion and absorbtion of nutrients happens above the large intestine, while most bacteria occur in the large intestine. But I also could be incorrect.

Well, speaking from recent experience- I was eating McDonalds probably twice a week on average for a while, then I got that blood pressure reading and cut it out almost completely (I've eaten it two or three times in the last three months), I started eating salads for lunch instead of McDonalds and I felt like there was an adjustment period where my body didn't like being fed vegetables at lunch for a while. I had digestive problems and wasn't feeling full. That mostly ended after a couple of weeks.

edit: Syns's post described basically exactly what I experienced :lol:

I would like to know more about your experiences if you don't mind
Too much to type by phone, when I get home next week I'll say more. Cliff notes version I had a lot of health/stomach problems and went down a crazy rabbit hole w the raw food diet and crazy ideals in my head to the point where I dropped down to 120lb on a 6'3" frame which led to crazy bingeing where I gained back 30lb in a month stuffing my face with any junk I could afford. It was a weird time in my life both psychologically and physically. I'll get into more later if you're curious.

what does this even mean? your body doesn't get "more efficient" at using calories unless you're literally starving or in ketosis, which is similiar. you only get the weight back if you go back to overeating, at this point we're talking about a psychological issue, not a diet issue.
Iirc people who've lost extreme amounts of weight often develop very slow metabolisms.

my statement still stands: simple calory restrictive diets are the most effictive tool for weight loss. this statement doesn't say anything about gaining weight back. the best thing about calory restrictive diets is that you don't necessarily have to change what you eat, so whenever you decide to stop your diet you actually don't get that relapse, you just continue on as you're used to with slightly bigger portion sizes. so I'd say it's the direct opposite of what you claim. you have less of a chance for a bounce-back effect than with other, more severe diets!
I'm not really arguing about that. As long as you don't make drastic changes all at once.

"biggest loser" is a pretty bad example because they're not doing a calory restrictive diet, they're changing literally every aspect of the diet: what foods, what quantity, what time.. and at the same time it's an extreme calory restriction, while usually calory restrictive diets are anywhere between 10 and 30% I'd guess, which is rather marginal. it's literally the difference of one extra beer and a sandwich per day.
Sounds more reasonable.

Diets are not temporary shifts in eating habits. A diet is literally what you eat day-by-day. That's the definition:
diet: the kinds of food that a person, animal, or community habitually eats.
"a vegetarian diet"

Add ing to the end and it becomes a means to an end. Diet-ing to achieve an end.

Look, don't come into a thread with proper sourced discussion, make a grandiose claim that is obviously wrong and then say **** like "I'm too lazy to do research". If you can't back it up, don't talk **** :lol:
I've done research it's not conveniently accessible to me. I don't think the idea that intermittent fasting is healthier than diet-ING is very controversial.

I mean we don't even disagree on most points, it's just that you formulated it in such an all-encompassing, generalized, over-the-top way that one couldn't help but disagree. Fasting is great, it may be good for your health short term, it may even be good for your health long term, it may help with chronic disease, with psychological problems, it may even help with treating cancer. It's phenomenal and has so much possibility in the future. But right now we still know very little (especially in the west, if you want to read proper scientific data better go to Russia, where it has been used extensively to treat asthma and rheuma patients!).
I'm not a doctor or researcher, just sharing my opinion/experience. Fasting can also be dangerous, giving people a feeling of temporary control over food issues. As part of a healthy lifestyle it's good. Its definitely no joke tho.

It feels kinda rude to barge in and tell me I'm wrong about this and that wrt fasting, when I've put in a lot of work doing research and you haven't.
I have, I just don't feel like digging it all up.

I didnt mean to be rude, what I meant was that dieting can be an endless cycle. Seems straightforward to simply eat fewer calories to lose weight (or more to gain it) but its rarely so easy to do a simple thing.

I don't think we have that much to disagree about.

Iirc people who've lost extreme amounts of weight often develop very slow metabolisms.

I'm not really arguing about that. As long as you don't make drastic changes all at once.

Sounds more reasonable.

Add ing to the end and it becomes a means to an end. Diet-ing to achieve an end.

I've done research it's not conveniently accessible to me. I don't think the idea that intermittent fasting is healthier than diet-ING is very controversial.

I'm not a doctor or researcher, just sharing my opinion/experience. Fasting can also be dangerous, giving people a feeling of temporary control over food issues. As part of a healthy lifestyle it's good. Its definitely no joke tho.

I didnt mean to be rude, what I meant was that dieting can be an endless cycle. Seems straightforward to simply eat fewer calories to lose weight (or more to gain it) but its rarely so easy to do a simple thing.

I don't think we have that much to disagree about.

what exactly do you mean by "slow metabolism" here? the rate at which food is turned into energy? the way unneeded energy is stored? passive caloric needs? heart activity and blood pressure? you're being kinda vague

the idea that IM fasting is healther than a simple calory restrictive diet is actually very controversial, almost no researcher would agree with it. I myself actually don't doubt that IM fasting is a healthier way to lose weight, I merely said that the scientific literature is not in accordance with this claim. my personal opinion matters little in this discussion and when I give advice to others I try to discredit it as much as possible.

fasting is not dangerous because it gives people the feeling of control, though that may be one small factor.

"real" fasting aka health fasting is dangerous because you're utterly depriving your body of any energy (calories) for days (or weeks), which in turn means that your body will literally start to dissolve its own muscles (and later on, fat). this doesn't go for IM fasting, because you're still eating calories. but proper fasting (water fasts) have exactly this idea at their core. which is very dangerous if you don't do it in accordance with a medical professional.

I actually did a water fast for an entire week and it was a great experience, I wouldn't however recommend it to someone who isn't completely healthy. I did lose some muscle mass, and more importantly, some fat due to it, but bounced back relatively quick. I primarily did it for the experience and to see if it had any effects on my asthma. water fasting as a weight loss tool is not very good at all, that is what IM fasting is for.

no worries, you're not rude at all. your concern is true, too, for many people dieting is an endless cycle. i won't deny that at all. however this is no longer about the efficiency of the diet, but rather about what comes after the diet. it's fundamentally a psychological problem, not one of nutrition.

yes, I also think we agree on most points. when I present the current state of research and say that researchers in general think calory-restrictive diets are both healthier and more effective than IM fasting as a weight-loss tool, it doesn't mean that this is the final verdict, that I personally agree, or that those scientists are correct. just stating that this is the conclusion most studies and metastudies have come to, thus far. I am actually convinced that in the next 5 to 10 years we'll see some revolutionary insight on the benefits of fasting. it is a seriously underreported topic of research.

Your body will burn fat before muscle especially if you continue to engage in some exercise while you're fasting.

The whole reason fasting is good is because it clears up the garbage in your body (weak, unhealthy, cancerous cells). Even a slim person will have to wait a month at least before the body goes to work on anything essential.

Top Bottom