The many questions-not-worth-their-own-thread question thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's this map I'm looking for, it's popular here, I'm sure y'all know it. It doesn't have countries, it has cities, which are placed on the continents not by their geographic location, but by their history. For example, I believe the city of Barcelona was in the location of 'Wonder'. Can anyone tell me what it's called or provide a link?

Why does the past always seem better than the present?

Even when when I think back of times I know I didn't enjoy at the time I was living it, those times still seem better than the present. Maybe I'm a pessimist. I don't know.

Even when when I think back of times I know I didn't enjoy at the time I was living it, those times still seem better than the present. Maybe I'm a pessimist. I don't know.

It's called nostalgia. You remember everything great and forget about everything bad. Even the worst times that you remember will feel better because of nostalgia.

20 years down the road I'm going to feel the same way about today.

They eat too many dougnnuts. ;)

Why are there so many fat cops in the USA? Aren't there fitness requirements?

There are 1000s of different police forces. And each is different on fitness requirements. In many of them, you have to pass a physical training to get into the department, and then after that you just need to not get so bad that you can't do the job. But most of the job is sitting down, and no running or fighting involved. So they don't have to try to hard to stay in shape.

and it is not as if they do close-combat/martial arts or anything, right?
They might do some crowd control for which you don't need a 0% bodyfat

What a question! It's basically what one calls "Rosy Retrospection", and there's a short wikipedia stub on it.

Also, I'm liking this question because it's a sentiment that's reflected in my signature. :D

Memoria praeteritorum bonorum: ie "The past is always recalled to be good"

I have seen pics of obese traffic cops in the USA. I find it weird since they can't chase anyone and lack the stamina for a longer fight. In Sweden police are required to pass a fitness test every year to work in the field. Not to different from the army.

:sarcasm: but aren't all Americans obese? So that evens it out, doesn't it? :p
semi-:sarcasm: Well even traffic cops don't really have to run.. they have their cars/motorcycles.

serious: I do agree with you that it is strange that policeofficers are allowed to "let thereselves go" like that.. I doesn't paint a good image of you law enforcement or even the country itself I think

There is one question that I been asked a couple of times but I don't know the answer. Why is it than in American films whenever a criminal tries to flee the country they always try to go to Mexico and not Canada?

Mexico won't extradite suspects facing the death penalty. Other than that I can't think of a reason.

There is one question that I been asked a couple of times but I don't know the answer. Why is it than in American films whenever a criminal tries to flee the country they always try to go to Mexico and not Canada?

Canada's police are competent. But a lot of fleeing to Canada did happen historically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom