1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The many questions-not-worth-their-own-thread question thread XVIII

Discussion in 'Picture Threads Archive' started by AL_DA_GREAT, Jan 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

How can you expect people to answer your question, if it is posed in obscure terms that you refuse to define? :confused:

I'm not intending to be critical, you understand, I'm genuinely unsure what you mean by "advantage" and "detriment". It seems to suggest some sort of corporatist conception of society, but that's too vague to actually suggest a framework for the sort of comparisons you seem to be after.

2. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

The advantage of the early caste system is that there were not very many occupations back then, and the caste system ensured that people were experts in their field and are born to do it.

The detriment is that there are too many occupations now and many jobs are no longer dependent on expertise.

But as I do not know much about the caste system, I am unsure as to if there are any more advantages/detriments.

3. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

Not really. Castes could be as broad as "peasant", "merchant" and "noble", it didn't necessarily imply narrow occupational delineations. And even if it did, it's not obvious that would make much difference, because a fairly stable of division labour was present in plenty of pre-modern societies that lacked a caste system. In Western Europe, for example, people professionalised because it was economically necessary, despite the fact that the fact that the closest thing they had to a caste system was the broad and relatively porous Estates. Whatever efficiency was lost by people jumping between professions was probably compensated for by the room it made for a very limited meritocracy. (Observe the merchant-turned-royal functionary Geoffrey Chaucer, who's writings would not likely have come down to us if a rigid caste system had confined him to his fathers occupation of vintnery.)

4. AL_DA_GREAT

AL_DA_GREAT amour absinthe révolution

Am I the only one that has a fear of that I am actually compeletly insane but that I don't realise it. Kind of like a beautiful mind or fightclub?

5. timtofly

timtofly One Day

No, enough said.

6. say1988

say1988 Deity

I am way ahead of you there, I acknowledge I am crazy.

7. Quackers

Quackers The Frog

So i recently read an article saying how Burma had elected the famous democratic activist Aung San Suu Kyi - what the hell has happened in the past few years which has led to this?!!!?!?!?!? And why>!

8. shadowplay

shadowplay your ad here

Well, I heard the talking heads on BBC News suggesting the increase in political freedoms are an attempt to end the sanctions against them, and to lessen the influence of China. I've also heard speculation it could be a ruse.

9. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

Why do people irrationally dislike - to the point of hatred - that which they do not understand?

Why not try to understand, without making derogatory assumptions and then acting on them without rational basis?

10. _random_

_random_ Jewel Runner

Yeah, black people aren't really a thing. You can chillax now.

11. PlutonianEmpire

PlutonianEmpire Socially Awkward Goofball

Are there, or have there been, any widespread memes that originated on CFC and flowed across the web?

12. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

I highly doubt it.

13. Farm Boy

Farm Boy Deity

Because we are hairless apes. Why does our survival instinct trigger much faster when seeing a friendly dog then when seeing a car speeding towards us? Fear and paranoia are pretty good survivalist traits. They were passed down. It's an uphill struggle to civilize ourselves, at least in some ways.

14. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Silly furry

They - we - don't want to admit that they are wrong.

15. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Deity

If a woman asks a man out, is it wrong for the man to assume that the woman will plan the date? (Even if the man still pays for it.)

16. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Silly furry

Yes. The opposite is also wrong. And also everything in between.

17. Old Hippy

Old Hippy Deity

just assume that you got it wrong by not asking first... then proceed as if you did ask her out...

18. PlutonianEmpire

PlutonianEmpire Socially Awkward Goofball

What is the average height of a person?

Before you say "Google it", I want the number I'm looking for to encompass BOTH MEN AND WOMEN, ACROSS THE ENTIRE PLANET!

All Google does is give bullcrap separate numbers for each gender that are also separated by country. I want the grand total average of all of them.

Resistance is futile. :trouble:

19. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Super Moderator

So Google all the numbers, add them all up and divide by the number of results you received in the first place. Voila - you have the arithmetic mean height of all people in the world.

20. AL_DA_GREAT

AL_DA_GREAT amour absinthe révolution

What happens if a ship on international water doesn't stop to help people on a sinking ship? Can they be prosecuted?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.