The many questions-not-worth-their-own-thread question thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
My elderly mother has recently been asking for a cell phone. What's the most basic, dumbest cell phone still being sold? Ideally I want something for her without text messages and all those stupid sub-menus she'll never use and become horribly confused by. Something extremely basic.

You know, my first cell phone was like that, and it was superior to the 2 crappy ones I've had since then - do they still make them or am I going to have to search around for a used one?

I'm thinking something along those lines... I guess it doesn't get anymore basic without reverting to those brick-sized cells from Saved by the Bell. :lol:

How about this?

"Nothing is forever."

Does that include the current march of progress towards greater social equality, freedom, scientific advancement, etc?

A lot of people, even here, seem to presume that the march of progress is forever. Am I right?

"Nothing is forever."

Does that include the current march of progress towards greater social equality, freedom, scientific advancement, etc?

A lot of people, even here, seem to presume that the march of progress is forever. Am I right?

No, just endless. meaning that if it ever stopped so would the economy.

"Nothing is forever."

Would you find it more or less comforting if I pointed out that the "march of progress" is a self-congratulatory fiction, and so not something that we're actually in a position to lose?

Is there a way to block someone from texting you?

Is there a way to block someone from texting you?

I think so. I know this one guy who got mad at me because I texted him in Advisory/Homeroom. He claimed to block my number but it turns out he just ignored my texts.

I'd talk to your provider, they could tell you for sure.

Never mind, I just figured it out with a little google exploration. thanks anyway, guys.

Can you damage yourself if you swallow whole a tablet (quarter-sized about) meant to be chewed up.

It sounds like you have just done it. If you are not experiencing any pain, then no. It will only be digested once reaching your stomach anyway.

It might be less efficient or effective as it will be absorbed more slowly and potentially not entirely absorbed entirely. But I don't see any actually problems arising.

Aside from any issues of just swallowing something really big and choking.

Sometimes, I see references to death panels allegedly being in operation here in the US. What exactly are they, allegedly? And what is the truth compared to the allegations?

Sometimes, I see references to death panels allegedly being in operation here in the US. What exactly are they, allegedly? And what is the truth compared to the allegations?

The Death Panel argument is that any government involvement with health care will inevitably have these panels of government bureaucrats who decide who lives and who dies based on the costs of medical treatments for them.

The reality: Private insurance companies already do that to the extent that the law allows them to. Which is more than you would think. Whereas the government's health care, which is around half the total, and most of the elderly care, is more of a spend whatever it takes and not worry about the costs.

So more government death panels and less private sector would actually mean a decrease in preventable deaths.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom