The many questions-not-worth-their-own-thread question thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are scientists douchebags?

Every actual scientist, and those in school studying to be one, I have come across on the internet, including here on CFC, have turned out to be HUGE jerks, are quite rude, and quite self-righteous. One of the guys on the Celestia forum, who is an actual scientist, is also a huge douche.

So, again, are scientists douchebags?

SS-18 is a pretty cool guy, eh posts on forums logically and doesn't afraid of anything.

They are building a big building in town and it went overbudget because the price of steel increased during construction. Why didnt they just buy all the materials they needed at the beginning and put it somewhere safe until it was needed? That would've saved a lot of money.

It is possible that their suppliers could not fill such a large order at once, but their is probably not the main reason.

It would cost money to store all the materials needed at every stage of construction. Projects generally run on borrowed money, so it would cost more in interest to borrow all of it at once than to borrow what is needed when it is needed. (If they were not depending on borrowed money they might have had t tied up in other investments or at least earning a small amount on interest in a bank account.)

I believe that the futures market exists so that those in such a situation can lock in prices ahead of time, but then there is a risk that they could loose out if the price drops.

They figured that buying the steel in stages was more cost effective then a bulk buy. Of course they probably considered a random rise in the price of steel but probably deemed it too unlikely to happen so went with the first option. They took a calculated risk to minimise costs and it ended up biting them on the arse, then again it could still be cheaper then buying it in bulk in the first place:p

There was a rumour I heard from someone and he asked if I knew if it was true or not, but I didn't know the answer.

Are Microsoft products like Windows and the Xbox 360 banned in Germany?

There is an injunction issued by a German judge over a patent suit filed by Motorola. But I believe there is a separate injunction preventing Motorola from getting it enforced until the ongoing US suit is concluded. What I have read seems to indicate that the Xbox 360 has a legitimate chance of not being available for sale in the US or Germany (a judge with the US International Trade Commission has said that the Xbox 360 should be banned). As for Windows 7, it was included in the German injunction, but I don't know it's status in the US suits.

What I have read seems to indicate that the Xbox 360 has a legitimate chance of not being available for sale in the US or Germany (a judge with the US International Trade Commission has said that the Xbox 360 should be banned).
:dubious: Did he say why? I never even heard about a proposal to ban the Xbox 360 from the US.... :dubious:

EDITED IN LATER: Is it normal for my facial hair underneath my chin and/or on the lower portion of my chin to curl forward? I just never noticed it until recently...

It's all based on a patent suit.

I think I wordeded my previous poorly. As I understand the judge was not really involved in the case, but the statement was more that if the patent suit ends in favour of Motorola (and a very similar suit has in the Germany) that trade and other factors that the US ITC would consider (such as that there will still be competition in the market) support a full ban.

Trying to describe the vagaries of male hair in terms of normal/ not normal is a fruitless exercise

Indeed. Some people get a lot of facial hair, some don't get quite so much. Some grows fast, some grows slowly. Some is thick, some is thin. Some people's may be curly while others may be straight. If you have curly facial hair, just show it off to teh wiminz.

My Xbox 360 has been turning itself on all night and it's continuing this morning. I live alone so it's not someone pranking me. What would cause this to happen?

EDIT: Unplugging the controller has stopped it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom