The Megathread for Football/Soccer

what do fifa pay them?

According to Wiki:

"The winners took away $5 million, second-placed team received $4 million, the third-placed team $2.5 million, the fourth-placed team $2 million, the fifth-placed team $1.5 million, the sixth-placed team $1 million and the seventh-placed team received $500,000."

took me a while to figure out why inter milan could possibly have played a club called mazembe...

why do they even bother with this competition ? the european clubs should simply give it the finger...
It's not just the pay. If you took the trouble to exit Austria you'd find that Europe isn't that important by itself anymore, there's other things outside the broders of the EU.
That is quite a shocker!
Well, Brazilians losing isn't that much of a shocker lately :p

i didnt belive that internacional was defeat by Mazembe when i hear the news....by the way im an F.C. Internazionale supporter and i can feel the positive side of this :> perhaps i must start to feel some fear about Mazembe :X

There's many clubs in South America that have more supporters in their home countries than many European teams.

Also, do remember that UEFA teams lost the IC seven times in a row (1977-84) so it's not as if Europe was that important. UEFA teams have won one more IC/Club World Championship than CONMEBOL teams have so far.

Or maybe are you just dissing the competition because Liverpoop's ALWAYS failed it?

anyone following the CL drawings?

Code:
AS Roma (Italy) - Shakhtar Donetsk (Hungary)

AC Milan (Italy) - Tottenham (England)

Valencia (Spain) - FC Schalke 04 (Germany)

FC Inter (Italy) - FC Bayern München (Germany)

Lyon (France) - Real Madrid (Spain)

Arsenal (England) - FC Barcelona (Spain)

Marseille (France) - Manchester United (England)

FC København (Denmark) - Chelsea (England)

who do you think is going to win those?

Arsenal win?

I thought Barcelona was the big favourite

Chelsea and Man U will be pleased with their relatively comfortable draws. I'd say Barcelona were big favourites over Arsenal, and the other 5 ties look pretty competitive to me.

PS Sian, Donetsk is in Ukraine, not Hungary.

honestly, Lyon-Real won't be the same than last year. Madrid is skyrocketing while Lyon really has a hard time this year.

I've always been cautious with great favorites in champion's league. On the last 10 years, if i recall well, there are been few times where the favorites won:
2010: Barcelone favorite, Inter won it
2009: Chelsea favorite, Barcelone won it
2008: ManU favorite, ManU won it on penalty kick
2007: Milan won it and i'm definitely sure they weren't favorite
2006: Barça won it, and Real was still the favorite
2005: Liverpool won, no one saw it
2004: Don't tell me Porto was the favorite
2003: Milan won and a lot of people said it would have been Juve with Nedved
2002: Real won (and they were favorite)
2001: Bayern won and it's too far in the past to recall who was the favorite, but Bayern is never the favorite as Barça is this year

So 1 favorite in ten years? won't put all my money on Barça this year.

Roma-Milan-Schalke-Inter-Madrid-Barcelona-Manchester-Chel$ea

Hopefully neither Real Madrid nor Chelsea nor Inter win

More Qatar World Cup fun:

ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates (AFP) – FIFA president Sepp Blatter on Friday apologised for saying that gay fans should "refrain from sexual activity" if they go to the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.

Homosexuality is illegal in Qatar and Blatter's original comments provoked anger among gay rights groups who said he should apologise or resign.

"I regret my comment, I didn't want to hurt anyone. We are against discrimination. I apologise for that comment," Blatter told a news conference ahead of Saturday's Club World Cup.

Gay rights activists have reacted furiously after Blatter joked that gay football fans should "refrain" from sex during the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, where homosexuality is illegal.

Asked about concerns over the treatment of gay fans at the tournament, Blatter responded: "I would say that they should refrain from any sexual activities."

Blatter's remarks are just the latest example of the 74-year-old football chief putting his foot in his mouth.

He told women footballers in 2004 that the best way to make their sport more popular would be to wear "tighter shorts."

Earlier this year, he suggested that John Terry's alleged affair, which led to him being stripped of the England captaincy, would have been applauded in Latin countries.

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20101217/sp_soccer_afp/gayfblwc2022blatter

Earlier this year, he suggested that John Terry's alleged affair, which led to him being stripped of the England captaincy, would have been applauded in Latin countries.

:ar15:

(Not for the adultery thing, but for him randomly generalising something that doesn't even make sense stereotypically).

…aaand Rafa gets thrown out of Inter anyway.

Why doesn't Moratti deny it then?

Tevez does a Rooney and decides to stay at City.

Top Bottom